Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
nbaLAker
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default ARTICLE:Why Kobe won't win the MVP

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...7&sportCat=nba

READ THE FULL ARTICLE IF YOU HAVE TIME ITS VERY INTERESTING BUT HERES THE GIST OF IT

......Truth is Kobe Bryant will never win the MVP of the league. He is hated too much. Hated by those who cast votes. Hated too much by those he plays against. And the two All-Star Game MVPs he's won, well, they don't count in this scenario. Voting Kobe as the best basketball player in the world for a day is one thing, honoring him with that same title for an entire season in the infamous words of Bobby Brown's ex-wife: "Oh, hell to the No!"

Writers won't honor Kobe like that, not even when in good consciousness they want to or would like to. As one writer said to me when the subject was brought up in conversation, very apropos for an election year, "Kobe's electability quotient is zero." In other words, he's Ralph Nader.

How is hate justified? Easy, by being consistent. Which is why this year will be no different than the past two. Because if we are honest (and this goes to Jemele's point), if we look at what Kobe Bryant has done in the past two seasons without winning the MVP, there should be no way he can win it this year. Which leads us back to the hate: A man averages 35.4 ppg, the eighth-highest average in the history of the league; he gives you 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.8 steals; he has 27 games of 40-plus points, has one month where he averages 43.4 ppg, scores 81 in one game and outscores an entire team in another (the 62-point game against Dallas where he sat out the fourth quarter); he is on the all-defensive first team (something not one of the other players in the MVP running is included on); and he leads a CBA-built team to the playoffs. The man has a season that no one is likely to see for another generation and he comes in fourth in the MVP voting that year.

That same man, the very next year, averages 31.6 points, 5.7 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.4 steals for the "fedora trick"; he has 10 games of 50-plus points, only the second person in NBA history to do so in a single season (including a four-in-a-row stretch that hadn't been seen in more than 20 years); he makes the all-defensive first team again; and this time he takes a YBA-built squad to the playoffs. In a season that many claim is more "complete" than the season before, the man this time comes in third in the MVP voting.

How bad is it for Kobe? In a 2004-05 season in which Kobe averaged 27.6 points, 5.9 rebounds and 6.0 assists, P.J. Brown -- yes, you read right -- received more MVP votes than he did, and Brown received only one vote. How many games did the Hornets win that year? 18..........So the reality is this: As nice -- and I mean nice in a This-dude-is-on-some-beyond-Steve-Nash level -- as Chris Paul's game has been all season long (his full name during broadcasts and highlight shows has become "MVP candidate Chris Paul") his season can't compare to Kobe's past two. Yes, he's elevated his team to a height that no one expected, but can you name one player on the Lakers (not including Kobe) over the past three years who is as good or has played as well as David West has this season? Hell, name one who has played as well as Peja Stojakovic or Tyson Chandler.

Plus how will the voters justify not giving CP3 the MVP in a season when his numbers are better than Nash's were the two seasons he got back-to-back MVPs? Paul's 21.5 points, 11.5 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 2.7 steals and 2.5 turnovers are better in totality than the 15.5, 11.5, 3.4, 1.0 and 3.3 Nash put up in 2004-05 and the 18.8, 10.5, 4.2, 0.8 and 3.5 he posted during the 2005-06 season. And CP's team is in position to do what Nash's team did when he came back to Phoenix: earn the top seed in the West. So if Nash won 62 games and the West in '05-06 with inferior numbers to Paul's, how does the league not give Paul the award if his team wins 60 and has the best record in the West?.............

I READ THIS ARTICLE EARLIER IN THE MONTH AND IT CALMED ME DOWN A BIT BECAUSE I REALIZED THAT THE MVP VOTING IS ALL ABOUT POLITICS AND THAT KOBE'S MOST IMPRESSIVE MVP CAMPAIGN HAS PASSED. SO BASICALLY I DONT CARE AS MUCH ANYMORE, WE ALL KNOW KOBE HAS BEEN THE MVP AND THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE FOR THE LAST 3 SEASONS. THE REAL SEASON HAS STARTED AND THE 1ST ROUND SHOULD BE REALLY GREAT TO WITNESS

GO LAKERS!.. BTW KB24 WILL WIN MVP
nbaLAker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

Default Re: ARTICLE:Why Kobe won't win the MVP

this was posted last week here and in the main NBA forums... take a look in the main forum, probably a few pages back it generated quite a bit of responses
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Cp3fan

Kobe Bryant will win the MVP....he deserves it!!
Cp3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
LuppersGB
GB Laker Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp3fan
Kobe Bryant will win the MVP....he deserves it!!
Damn straight he deserves it!!!

but that being said cp3 has a very very strong case. if paul wins it i wont be as pissed as when nash/dirk won it-cos thoses years were kobes

Last edited by LuppersGB : 04-18-2008 at 12:48 PM.
LuppersGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuppersGB
Damn straight he deserves it!!!

but that being said cp3 has a very very strong case. if paul wins it i wont be as pissed as when nash/dirk won it-cos thoses years were kobes

If not for all the BS this year should've been Kobe's 3rd or 4th MVP.....not his 1st. Kobe has it in the bag this year.....don't worry.
As I said about Nash, Dirk, KG, Lebron and Paul......let's wait til those guys actually win something.....a title, before we freakin crown them......isn't that what being great is all about? Kobe has 3 rings, is known by the PLAYERS as the best in the league and the idiot writers denied him this long.....but it's over for that now.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
SCV42
Buck Foston

Chris Paul has had a phenomenal year! However, he has 3-time all star Peja and I think West or Chandler was a 1-time all star too, maybe? We have had another all star besides kobe for half a year - Gasol. So for those people who say Chris Paul won all those games with garbage on his team, c'mon now.

Kobe will win this MVP. He will not be robbed THIS time.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Since the Lakers won the west and had to deal with all of those injuries Kobe will definately win the MVP. I've heard quite a few people who cast votes say they are voting for Kobe.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Kobe does not need the MVP, he has Phil Jackson!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
SCV42
Buck Foston

PERFECT picture of Kobe!

oh yeah, "Borat jealous of Jackson mustache...I like."
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
nbaLAker

sorry i didnt know how i missed that thread...but yeah 100% kobe mvp and gasol finals mvp
nbaLAker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: