Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Why is Air Alert bad for you? GOOD READ

I found a great article on Air Alert, especially since a lot of members including myself and others have gotten into various arguments on why Air Alert is bad for you. Some have agreed with me and some haven't.

"Why do people do Air Alert?
    A lot of people do Air Alert (especially the teenagers) don't have access to the weight room, and the first thing that comes in their mind is, "Air Alert." The program is an one size fits all program, and the exercises are easily accepted by people of all ages. Instead of spending some time with a program like the Vertical Jump Bible (VJB) that analyzes your athletic ability (whether you can squat 1.5x your body weight etc)

Why is Air Alert bad for you?

1. The volume on Air Alert is simply way too much! There is a high chance that you will get injuries (Jumpers knee, shin splints, the list goes on), which has been proven by various members on Elite Athletic Training and also other training forums.

2. Am I doing the same weight lifting routine as a world-class basketball player? Of course not, the routine was specifically tailored for that specific player. Air Alert is an one size fit all program, and vertical..."

Whole article @ http://eliteathletes.org/forum/viewt...8&p=1500#p1500

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Default Re: Why is Air Alert bad for you? GOOD READ

i don't really get it because i did air alert and never messed up my knees . i mean my knees hurt but hey i play ball everyday so that's probably why . it is fishy though that AA3 is a "one size fits all" deal .

this thread is a perfect example of why i respect you as a poster

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
    i don't really get it because i did air alert and never messed up my knees . i mean my knees hurt but hey i play ball everyday so that's probably why . it is fishy though that AA3 is a "one size fits all" deal .
    Did you not read this?

4. The last argument that always comes out from the people defending Air Alert is, I got gains and I didn't get hurt one bit! Again, all humans are built differently. For the ones that didn't get hurt, they probably were already physically advanced, so no injuries for them. Sure, you will get some 'gains' because high reps will still get you some strength, but is mainly training for muscular endurance. Imagine if you were doing a program like Vertical Jump Bible which has a proper rep/set ratio. You would be getting MUCH better gains!

Serious playground baller martinas23's Avatar

If you use AA3 onwards don't worry you wont get injured because you do exercises only 3 times a week, therefore you get enough recovery time.

i used Air Alert to start dunking started the program when i was 15yrs old and i was so explosive of 2 feet but then i got jumpers knee in my left knee it doesnt hurt at all running but jumper i feel it alot on some days

but the days i dont feel it im explosive as helll
    and im a good jumper off one foot so i usually just jump off my right foot, but when my left knee doesnt hurt im so explosive of two feet its not even funny

For you youngsters out there i recommend dont do it just hit the weight room do calf raisers and just play basketball aggressively when you play and youll be jumping high

Saw a basketball once

i started doing air alert 2 but stopped because i heard that it might screw up your muscles. i am only 13 so don't want to do weights. my vertical is really poor so i was wondering, if air alert is bad, then are their other jump programs that don't require weights

Shin Splints is something that every basketball player goes through when they first start training! Once you've got through it, you tend not to get it again.

I usually hit open layups the.powerhouse's Avatar

The problem with all vertical jump programs is that they are only a small component of what it takes to increase vertical jumping ability. The exercises by themselves are normally well described, and would be very effective if used under the right conditions. Unfortunately most players start Air Alert or other programs in the middle of the season, which is the worst time possible!

If your body has to cope with 2-3 team training sessions, 1-2 games, weight training sessions and of course numerous pickup games on a weekly basis there is no way it can cope with the additional stresses of a vertical jump program. Not even an NBA player

NBA Superstar

I was rummaging through basketball storage toward the beginning of the year and I came across an Air Alert packet (Vol. 3 I think). Since I'm no longer playing with a real team in the winter, January and February constitute the doldrums of basketball playing options for me in Michigan. As such, with little to no access to a weight room, I decided to embark on the Air Alert as a means to maintain my leg activity. It has been solid so far.

I've heard of knee issues resulting from this program but I have not yet encountered anything within that realm. I'm not necessarily looking to gain many inches. Rather, as I mentioned, I'm just looking to keep my legs alive. This program has done a good job at that thus far.

The biggest thing a program like this has provided me is direction and purpose. I'd be open to hearing the plans of others (I've heard of the Vertical Jump Bible but don't know much about it). My issues in the past regarding leg exercises was that I lacked a reliable schedule and I didn't entirely know how much of what exercises to execute. As such, a program has helped fill in some blanks.