Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Home of the 16

Default Summer League Thread

The Lakers just finished playing the Clippers. They were up by double digits in the 1st half. Interesting approach by Lonzo, he was rather observant than being aggressive by creating shots for himself, didn't really have that much impact on the floor. It wasn't until the 2nd half where the pacing was much different where he felt he needed to take shots. Lots of forced shots. Not sure if it needs to be addressed, but it was alarming at the rate he was putting those up.

But, it's just a Summer League game. Lol

Stellar performance by Brandon Ingram. 26 pts in 52% shooting. He looked complete. Seems like he put on some muscle, he was so lengthy & well-built. Also, Thomas Bryant outhustled everyone tonight. Great pickup by the Lakers. stretch 5 that can out hustle everyone. ****ing unicorn qualities. LOL

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Summer League Thread

I didn't get to see much. Ingram did appear to be the most dominant player from the bit I saw. What in the world is Kendall Marshall doing in summer league btw?

Home of the 16

haha I have no idea. Kendall went under a PNR and Lonzo drained an open 3. Kendall on the other end, drew a foul from the 3 & made it. Get this vet out of here.

Just checked. Holy shit, he's only 25. Seems like he's been playing since 2005.

NBA lottery pick

I can't imagine that Marshall is doing himself any favors. He would be better off just playing in the G league if he's trying to latch on with another team. I just looked at Ball's stat line. Pretty terrible.....

Home of the 16

Yeah, it was bad. There were a lot of overpassing in his part, like shots that he could have taken or layups that he could have attempted to lay in but passed it to a somewhat open man in the corner. It was one of those things. The ball movement was atrocious to begin with, lots of guys were looking impress by scoring. Lonzo was wide open numerous amount of times but the guys just wouldn't make the extra pass. But it's a Summer League roster....so.... lol

Lonzo didn't shoot well and forced too many shots. That was forced offense too often. I am more curious to see improvement over these summer league games more than anything. I am not concerned yet. That was his first game since March and first game under nba rules. That shooting style of his makes me a bit nervous though..

What I want to see is fewer forced shots. More ball movement from entire roster. Less out of control plays - bit more patience from these youngsters. Keep choppin'.

NBA lottery pick

I've always enjoyed watching the summer league games but at the end of the day there's guys that have played terrible that ended up being stars and guys that played incredible that were busts. Summer league doesn't mean much. It's just fun to see their improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    Yeah, it was bad. There were a lot of overpassing in his part, like shots that he could have taken or layups that he could have attempted to lay in but passed it to a somewhat open man in the corner. It was one of those things. The ball movement was atrocious to begin with, lots of guys were looking impress by scoring. Lonzo was wide open numerous amount of times but the guys just wouldn't make the extra pass. But it's a Summer League roster....so.... lol
    I think it boils down to coaching. It's kind of a weird lineup to put 2 PGs there where Blue was like you said was trying hard to impress fans and the staff. To his credit, he did proved he can really penetrate but him and Ingram were just a bit too aggressive IMO. But hey, maybe there were not enough good set plays to begin with.
    I find shocking if those couple of plays where Lonzo had "tried" to pin a smaller guy from the HIGH POST was not designed by Jud.... the Fellow Arizona Wildcat who according to
    https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...n-jud-buechler
    Buechler has never coached in the NBA and it's unclear if he's coached at any level before, though he does have experience coaching his daughter's volleyball team.

It's unknown what Buechler's role will be the Lakers will be at the moment, but he's a University of Arizona alumnus, so it's obviously a good hire (as an Arizona student myself, I am required to say this).
    Why did Luke assigned Jud instead of Mark Madsen whose been there with the team for at least 4 years now, is it because he didn't go to Arizona U?
    BTW, assistant coach Theo Robertson who also didn't go to Arizona have left the Lakers to ALSO BE AN ASSISTANT COACH in Cal, and who replaced him to be in Luke's side? Yup, Miles Simon who himself is an AU Wildcat.
    http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/2...ssistant-coach
    Lakers coach Luke Walton announced the hire of his fellow former University of Arizona star Tuesday.

Simon recently worked for USA Basketball, serving as head coach for the junior select national team. He spent three seasons as Lute Olson's assistant at Arizona from 2005-08.

Simon also has worked as a player development coach, the director of the Nike Basketball Academy and a college basketball analyst for ESPN
    Didn't see any experience there as an NBA coach but hey.

A lot has been said about Lonzo's horrible shooting last night.
    Pls note Hart and Kuzma hit a combined 0-7 too, while Brandon and Wear were a combined 3-10. If some of them were a little more decent from the 3pt area, Lonzo would have ended up with atleast 8 assists instead of 5.
    Spacing was bad bec Jud decided to put Vander Blue along side Ball.
    Blue is more of a penetrator, hit 27% from the college 3pt line (19.7 feet) in his 3 yrs at Marquette, 18% from the 3pt area with just 5 career games.
    Last night, he just took 1 3pt shot...For Ball to be more effective, he needs a legit shooter like he had with Bryce at UCLA.

NBA lottery pick

I don't know that Grant Hill is a fair comparison. Anybody that is old enough would remember he put up huge numbers as a rookie. He was obviously older than Ingram as a rookie, but nonetheless to average nearly 20,5,6 as a rookie is extremely impressive. If he hadn't have been injured he was a hall of famer for sure. Ingram is always going to get compared to KD. They just have similar statures. The training staff was asking him if he had grown an inch or two since last season. His reply was maybe he'll keep growing and get to be as tall as KD. Anyway around it, in order for the Lakers to be successful they will need Ingram to really step up. If he looks like a star then it would just make Lebron want to come here that much more. Could you imagine having Paul George, Lebron James, Brandon Ingram, and Lonzo Ball on the court at the same time? With that length and athleticism that would be a terror to teams lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I don't know that Grant Hill is a fair comparison. Anybody that is old enough would remember he put up huge numbers as a rookie. He was obviously older than Ingram as a rookie, but nonetheless to average nearly 20,5,6 as a rookie is extremely impressive. If he hadn't have been injured he was a hall of famer for sure. Ingram is always going to get compared to KD. They just have similar statures. The training staff was asking him if he had grown an inch or two since last season. His reply was maybe he'll keep growing and get to be as tall as KD. Anyway around it, in order for the Lakers to be successful they will need Ingram to really step up. If he looks like a star then it would just make Lebron want to come here that much more. Could you imagine having Paul George, Lebron James, Brandon Ingram, and Lonzo Ball on the court at the same time? With that length and athleticism that would be a terror to teams lol.
    I'm not implying that Ingram should duplicate what Hill did, I'm just looking at their style, how they use their quick first step and good handles. Grant was assigned as a "Point Forward", which enabled him to register great numbers, a lot of it is bec his teammate Lindsey Hunter is more of a spot up shooter. Luke Walton prefers more ball movement so I don't see Brandon taking that exact role that Grant had.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Lonzo Ball(TBE)

This young man is poised to be The Best Ever. Love the fact that he got a triple double in summer league(10 minute quarters). Very impressive.

People don't realize he averaged a triple double his senior year of high school. Showtime is coming when you get him out there running with Clarkson and Randle and Nance Jr and Ingram. I can't wait.

NBA lottery pick

While a triple double is impressive he still shot the ball bad. The best players on the court were Kuzman & Tatum. Tatum seems to be the most NBA ready rookie. The Celtics so far are looking smart with trading the number one pick. It's still way too early to know for sure but Tatum looks like he's going to be a beast in the NBA one day.

Keep in mind Lonzo's entire game is predicated on setting up others and making them better by creating for them. He is not a scoring point guard like Russell Westbrook or Steph Curry. If you are playing with teammates who are pretty much crap, you will put them in positions to succeed, but they won't be able to maximize what you give them.

It is different for playmakers and pass first pointguards than scoring pointguards and other positions. A pass first pointguard's game is based around others making shots so you want to create for them and put them in positions to succeed. Lonzo is not a scorer by any means.

The Lakers assistant coach guy also has no basketball coaching experience. He coached his daughter's volleyball, soccer and basketball teams as a volunteer 2 days a week - that's his experience lol. You will have questionable rotations and not very good plays drawn up like from a seasoned coach. This is why you can't put much stock into summer league. Especially not for a pass first PG.

NBA lottery pick

Looks like the Lakers are scared of Lonzo getting torched by Fox again. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...y?sf96871395=1