Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation
Default The "I could have dunked" moment...

when i try, i get probably 4-5 inches above the rim without a ball. definitely not a dunk.

the other day while playing, on a layup, i got like 7 or 8 inches above the rim. my wrist was above the hoop... but the ball was already out of my hands, bouncing off the glass when i reached my peak.

i couldn't get anywhere near as close just jumping for the rim after the game.

was this a fluke? has it happened to anyone else? it seriously felt like i could dunk.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The "I could have dunked" moment...

I highly doubt you were 7-8 inches above the rim, grab a ruler and get back at me.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think everyone has days every now and again where they feel a lot springier than normal. I know I've definitely had those days myself and I always try to re-trace my steps and figure out exactly what led to this result. At one point, I traced it back to hot dogs because that was what I ate the first day I dunked on someone (honestly, thought eating meat prior to playing was what did the trick). Another theory has been riding a bike. I think there might be something to that, where my legs warm up before I even hit the court, thus introducing my max bounce right away.

If you're consistently 4-5 inches above the rim, maybe it's time to try reaching even higher with the ball in your hand. I definitely know that in games, the adrenaline combined with being forced to push myself as hard as possible can sometimes push me higher above the rim than when I'm just warming up and shooting around. You should plan on that and maybe develop that finger roll if you haven't yet. It is possible to dunk when initially taking off and planning layup, but it's likely not going to be ferocious and the true likelihood is that it will end up looking like a finger-roll-rim-grab.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
JayCanBall
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JayCanBall has an OK reputation so far

It happens. I think its just a in the zone moment though. Cuz i can touch rim every now and again and i played a week ago and grabbed a rebound that seemed a little above the the rim.
JayCanBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

I think it is part game intinsity and part being warmed up. I know I can barely touch the rim if I'm lucky but while playing I get my hand above it on rebounds and tips.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: