Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: help with bodybuilding!!

I think the simple 45 degree leg press and regular leg press are really good as well. They build strength real fast...I had the crappiest hops ever and I did that like 3x a week for about 3 or 4 weeks and gained almost a foot in verticle jump. I've never done dead lifts before cause they look like trouble for me with my scoliosis and all.

Quote Originally Posted by daballa13
    I think with you being a noob and the results that most beginners make regardless of their training approach or style is enough for you to make decent gains for a good 6-10 weeks. However, what I have seen with a couple friends is that the noob gains do happen but they aren't as vast as the noob expects. Most people get in the gym with very unrealistic goals of being able to bench 2 plates in a couple months, etc. For this reason I believe its best to start off your training with a proven program that emphasizes strength training and has continual overload as you add weight gradually on all the major lifts over time. Once you get strong you can do all the bicep curls and dumbbell fly's you want but get the strength part down first. I really recommend doing a program like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for a period of 6-12 months. If you want more info. on the program I can tell you, I really recommend hopping on a proven program to start your training. Regardless of your training method's, consistency is the biggest key on your quest to the physique that you want. DON'T EVER QUIT!
    Very good advice, but I would say one thing. 5/3/1 is viewed as more of an intermediate program because it involves very slow and steady gains by month, whereas Madcows is by week, and something like StrongLifts or Starting Strength is more linear workout to workout which benefits the new gym goer more. Of course gains are gains, but it does usually benefit people to go on those linear programs at first.

I rule the local playground daballa13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    Very good advice, but I would say one thing. 5/3/1 is viewed as more of an intermediate program because it involves very slow and steady gains by month, whereas Madcows is by week, and something like StrongLifts or Starting Strength is more linear workout to workout which benefits the new gym goer more. Of course gains are gains, but it does usually benefit people to go on those linear programs at first.
    It really is a matter of consistency, regardless what program you choose you will make gains if you put in the work consistently over a good period of time. I definitely do agree though that 5/3/1 is definitely not good for a total beginner who has no idea what he can do with lifts like bench, squats, etc. I just think that giving a total beginner a program like SS with squats 3 x a week may be too much. To be honest, the best approach IMO for a beginner is to do exactly what I did, I just went to the gym and for a span of 4-8 months I really just got the form down on the major compound lifts and steadily progressed in weight on them. I think beginners should begin by just getting accustomed to all the compound lifts and even the infamous lifts like barbell curls, fly's, laterals, etc.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
    Speaking of Starting Strength, is it possible for me to replace squats with some other workout for a day? 3 days a week squatting is way too much, especially compared to everything else. My legs are shot every damn day.
    Just squat heavy on Mondays and Fridays. On Wednesdays complete more reps/sets with less weight.

It really is a matter of consistency, regardless what program you choose you will make gains if you put in the work consistently over a good period of time. I definitely do agree though that 5/3/1 is definitely not good for a total beginner who has no idea what he can do with lifts like bench, squats, etc. I just think that giving a total beginner a program like SS with squats 3 x a week may be too much. To be honest, the best approach IMO for a beginner is to do exactly what I did, I just went to the gym and for a span of 4-8 months I really just got the form down on the major compound lifts and steadily progressed in weight on them. I think beginners should begin by just getting accustomed to all the compound lifts and even the infamous lifts like barbell curls, fly's, laterals, etc.
    True. When I first started going to the gym I didn't follow a program, just went in got used to lifting and I saw gains regardless. Just seemed like one or two of these people would be able to benefit from something like Starting Strength instead of 5/3/1 because they are total noobs seeing as how one asked to replace deadlifts with curls. You're right though, just learn the lifts, stay consistent, and gains will be made. Eventually though programming will become important to gain even better results.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by abdubaba
    im 6.0" 165 lbs. im a skinny guy. well some think im skinny some dont. but im already all cut and all that. but i dont got no muscles

i just moved to this town called london in ontario canada. i have a 9-5 job so i got lots of time. ive never worked out before so i wanna register with a gym and get ripped.

but i dont know what to do... do i just register and then go and start lifting weights?? do gyms have personnel workers to help guys like me out?? or is there a routine out there that i can follow?
    You can get help from a trainer, but it'll cost money and it's a waste in my opinion. If you've never lifted before, read up on starting strength exercises and follow them. You'll want to do compound lifts with free weights and MAKE SURE YOU USE PROPER TECHNIQUE (the one area where a trainer would help). Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and clean and jerks should be the most important ones for you. I'd start out lifting two or three times a week, if you start to really really love it (which I for one do), you can move into routine where you're having days dedicated to certain body parts and all that, but you'll just be wasting your time if you go right into have a day dedicated solely to your shoulders or something at this point. The most important thing you can do is not get ahead of yourself and keep in mind that muscles when they're broken down and given the nutrients and rest required to grow back bigger, so you won't accomplish anything by doing the same exercise seven days a week or not sleeping or not getting adequate amounts of protein, fat, and carbs.

Oh, and don't waste your time with a bunch of weird supplements, the only things you could possibly want to even consider using (and they're not absolutely necessary if you're eating right) are whey protein (I use Muscle Milk and/or Gold Star), creatine (just generic kinds, it shouldn't be more than like 20 dollars for a years supply), and maybe a pre-workout supplement like black powder if you're trying to get really fancy.

People on here should be able to answer any of your questions, but you can pm me if you need help with any of this or want a specific weightlifting routine. Lifting can actually be really fun and I'm always kind of surprised that more people don't do it. Good luck with it and with the new place, too.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    You can get help from a trainer, but it'll cost money and it's a waste in my opinion. If you've never lifted before, read up on starting strength exercises and follow them. You'll want to do compound lifts with free weights and MAKE SURE YOU USE PROPER TECHNIQUE (the one area where a trainer would help). Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and clean and jerks should be the most important ones for you. I'd start out lifting two or three times a week, if you start to really really love it (which I for one do), you can move into routine where you're having days dedicated to certain body parts and all that, but you'll just be wasting your time if you go right into have a day dedicated solely to your shoulders or something at this point. The most important thing you can do is not get ahead of yourself and keep in mind that muscles when they're broken down and given the nutrients and rest required to grow back bigger, so you won't accomplish anything by doing the same exercise seven days a week or not sleeping or not getting adequate amounts of protein, fat, and carbs.

Oh, and don't waste your time with a bunch of weird supplements, the only things you could possibly want to even consider using (and they're not absolutely necessary if you're eating right) are whey protein (I use Muscle Milk and/or Gold Star), creatine (just generic kinds, it shouldn't be more than like 20 dollars for a years supply), and maybe a pre-workout supplement like black powder if you're trying to get really fancy.

People on here should be able to answer any of your questions, but you can pm me if you need help with any of this or want a specific weightlifting routine. Lifting can actually be really fun and I'm always kind of surprised that more people don't do it. Good luck with it and with the new place, too.
    thanks for your reply

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Since he's beginning, I honestly think he can go full body workouts 3 times a week for a couple months, like the Muscle Gaining Secrets program of Jason Ferruggia. Full body workouts may seem intimidating but it's not actually a lot of volume. 3 exercises per day (Squats, Deadlifts, Weighted Push-Ups), 4 sets each with 5-8 reps and 2 minutes rest in between sets. It's not exactly as tiring or even neurologically frying as it sounds. I've been lifting for 1.5 years (didn't take the strength part too seriously though til maybe 7 months ago so I'm only in the 140-170 range in my lifts =\ ) but I finally laid hands on Jason's MGS program and wow, after just 2 weeks of it AND starting with the beginner phase I which called for the above exercises, I gained like 4-6 pounds of muscle and it showed in the mirror.

Oh, and with regards to supplements, I truly believe all you need is a good whey powder. All the gimmicks and stuff out there like those fat burners and nitric oxide shit, you can basically replace with a pre-workout coffee and a post-workout orange.

   

i like it whens they have the humor, yes yes.