Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What am I doing with my life?

I will honestly tell you join the National Guard or reserves. It seems stupid but do it now and you will see the world completely different. And being on inactive duty will be better if you don't like it and worse come to worse if you don't like it, it is easier to be in an inactive duty than active duty.

The experience you will get from being there, the friends you're going to get and the girls you're going to meet is going to change yuor whole view of life.
    It did to me at least.

Also you're still young just go to college, you still have time, you're not dead.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

You have your whole life ahead of you. Is there anything you are really engaged with? Anything you are passionate about? The easiest way out of your rut and into a stone cold groove is by changing something that bothers you the most. Maybe this means you take a class or two at the local CC. Maybe you join the coast guard. Maybe you try and switch careers. Its up to you to identify what would make your life more fulfilling. It could be as simple as taking music lessons or getting into a rec league.

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    There's always time to go back to school man. I was a career underachiever until I decided to stop bring jealous of everyone doing what they love, while I was stuck working for $12 an hour. So at 25, I completely uprooted my life, decided to bite the bullet and temporarily move back home and registered for the Network Engineering program at my local community college. A year later, I've maintained the highest GPA in the program, won a national competition for a Cisco internship, and now I'm working on a second. I've interviewed for 2 jobs this week that start at $45-50k a year and I'm knocking off certification after certification in the meantime.

I've been in your shoes bro, but you can pull yourself out with some sacrifice and hard work. The beautiful thing about this country is you can be pretty much anything you want, so seize every opportunity you have to do it.

I did something similar too. I was in college but I wasn't ready for it. In my case I went to the Air National Guard and completely changed my life. I am going to college and right now I have a great GPA and I am getting free tuition because I am in the honor program of college. And I am still getting money of GI Bill post 911...

I did all that when I was 22 and it was the best thing that happened to me.

i have had friends who went to prison for ~10 years at 17, got out, and became successful. you are still young, don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito

I did something similar too. I was in college but I wasn't ready for it. In my case I went to the Air National Guard and completely changed my life. I am going to college and right now I have a great GPA and I am getting free tuition because I am in the honor program of college. And I am still getting money of GI Bill post 911...

How did the Air National Guard ready you for college?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito

I also think joining the military is a great choice. I wasn't really in financial trouble, but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with my life. The experiences I've had since joining have really helped me pave a way for my future. Best decision I've ever made was enlisting. Btw, I had a friend from Puerto Rico at basic training. Name was Romano. Tells me that place is full of so many fine women. Gotta visit one day.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    i have had friends who went to prison for ~10 years at 17, got out, and became successful. you are still young, don't give up.

what did they do to get sent for 10 years at 17? Just curious. that's heavy duty sh*t for a 17 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    what did they do to get sent for 10 years at 17? Just curious. that's heavy duty sh*t for a 17 year old.
    the guy i was talking about was originally in for burglary. he was actually one of my neighbors and i used to date his sister. he was in a minimum security joint but then when his gf broke up with him he went crazy, escaped, went to her house and held her family hostage for a few hours before they talked him down so he got extra time tacked on. he would have been released in a few months if he hadn't escaped. he now does IT at a hospital.

another guy i grew up with went in for murder, he's out now and owns a few clubs. he tried to get me to go into business with him, but even though he does well and we were good friends in HS i don't want to get involved with him. got too much to lose, and i know he's still doing shady shit.

one other guy i know got about the same amount time for gun running across state lines and did about a decade as well. he's in real estate now.

anyways, the point i was trying to make is you can always pull yourself up if you apply yourself. the OP isn't that old, and he's not a felon. he's probably white too, so that fact alone should give him an advantage over the guys i knew. (asians)
    Last edited by rezznor; 11-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.