Default I need some sound advice

now I've been posting here a long time...

here's my band, for which I am lead singer and play piano. I wrote the first two songs on the bandpage btw

do we have potential? what are your thoughts? we've only been together about a month or two. tempo and togetherness are a problem but aside from that can you music-heads (LKizzle especially) lend some perspective?

feel free to like the page if you're digging it

FREE REPS for honest opinions but they've got to be thorough. They can be harsh.. I can take it and will still rep, I assure you. As long as they're thorough and entail strengths/weaknesses.
    Last edited by airchibundo507; 11-08-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Homage to Al Thornton AI Thornton's Avatar

Default Re: I need some sound advice

Get it? "Sound" advice!

Quote Originally Posted by AI Thornton
    Get it? "Sound" advice!
    lol corny I know but I couldn't resist

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

your percussionist kills your songs. Very sloppy. Sounds like he was just a friend that wanted to be in a band and you handed him a djembe or something.

I think u guys would be better off with a real drummer. You would add a lot more depth to the music.

but like you said; the timing is mess.

I know these aren't the best recordings and you wanna give potential fans something to listen to but here's my advice:

Spend a few hundred and get a few of your songs professionally recorded.

damnit that's what I feared. are there any redeeming qualities?

Do you have anything that's not live?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

songs sound way too similar. It was actually better than I expected, but not that great. None of the guitarwork is particularly noticeable and the tone needs to be played with, way too dull. Drummer is sloppy as **** and sounds like he doesnt really know how to play a kit. Bass was pretty meh. The song structures were decent and the piano work was ok. Keep at it, but keep your eyes open for improving your rhythm section. Try and get that drummer to work on practicing with a metronome or take some lessons.

I guess the style is meant to be RnB, but its rather boring. No need for rep. Glad to see you playing music and expanding your experience. Whats the end goal? Play local parties? Drop out of college and go on tour?

here is a link to a friends former band in your neck of the woods (Tulsa). Not the same style, but this is probably the level of musicianship you need to really be able to gig out outside of parties. https://soundcloud.com/movetrio

sloppy bands dont get many gigs. need to tighten that shit up (starts with the DnB) and make it something people can groove/dance to IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Do you have anything that's not live?
    http://soundcloud.com/andrewchuk/control/s-7ML7M

I f*cked around and made this on garageband. It's just me though on keyboard and synthesizing other instruments with the keyboard as well.
    Last edited by airchibundo507; 11-08-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    songs sound way too similar. It was actually better than I expected, but not that great. None of the guitarwork is particularly noticeable and the tone needs to be played with, way too dull. Drummer is sloppy as **** and sounds like he doesnt really know how to play a kit. Bass was pretty meh. The song structures were decent and the piano work was ok. Keep at it, but keep your eyes open for improving your rhythm section. Try and get that drummer to work on practicing with a metronome or take some lessons.

I guess the style is meant to be RnB, but its rather boring. No need for rep. Glad to see you playing music and expanding your experience. Whats the end goal? Play local parties? Drop out of college and go on tour?
    Thank you so much, booze. I'm gonna rep anyway lol

Yeah the songs I made are pretty similar in their composition. That's why I tried to spice up "Control" with more emotional intensity and the rap added as a climax kind of showcases some of my versatility as a singer/rapper/songwriter. The other song "Fate" has the acoustic guitar to make it more folk-sounding and chill. I'll work with our drummer and for sure use a metronome during practice. Our bass guy is actually new to the instrument, as he's a guitar player first but he's learning really quickly.

Music is my passion. I'm actually a pre-med college student but I'm working on music ambitions along with the school stuff. This is my first band ever... the goal with it right now isn't something unrealistic like getting famous. Personally, it's for the musical growth of me and my bandmates. It's me organizing practices, making sheet music, and directing the band towards my artistic direction when it comes to my originals. But the real fun is trying to emulate different genres of music.

You have anything to say about the vocals btw?

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    here is a link to a friends former band in your neck of the woods (Tulsa). Not the same style, but this is probably the level of musicianship you need to really be able to gig out outside of parties. https://soundcloud.com/movetrio

sloppy bands dont get many gigs. need to tighten that shit up (starts with the DnB) and make it something people can groove/dance to IMO
    that shit's fire. I see what you mean.

the singing was fine. Pretty much on key and a pleasant enough voice. Nothing incredible, but good enough. Honestly, it seems like you are the best musician in the band. But its about having fun and working towards getting better as a unit. You should look at it as a fun break from school with the potential for playing out down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    that shit's fire. I see what you mean.
    yeah, those guys are really tight and fun. Kind of a pigeonholed style, but danceable and high energy. Now, not every band is as tight (trio formats help).

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    http://soundcloud.com/andrewchuk/control/s-7ML7M

I f*cked around and made this on garageband. It's just me though on keyboard and synthesizing other instruments with the keyboard as well.
    Dude I fu[COLOR="Black"]ck[/COLOR] with this.