Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default new york plans $15/hr wage for fast food workers

"in labour victory news..."

The boost comes as a result of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's decision to convene a Wage Board, which has the power to set a new minimum for the fast food industry's 200,000 workers in New York without the approval of the state legislature. On Wednesday, the Board recommended that the new floor be phased in, rising to $15 by the end of 2018 in New York City, and July of 2021 for the rest of the state.
    "The entire process has been a sham and the cards have been stacked against the hard-working men and women that own and operate New York’s restaurants from day one,” the Save NY Restaurants Coalition said in a statement after the vote. “Today’s decision will hurt the very people Governor Cuomo is purportedly trying to help. Restaurants will be forced to streamline labor costs through automation and attrition or close their doors completely."
    The extent to which the wage hike will actually impact customers, however, is still hard to predict. In places where large wage increases have started to take effect, prices have risen, but so far there’s no solid indication of how those changes have affected sales.

the apocalypse is here folks! no longer will pay hinge on merit. no longer will hard work pay off. forget busting your hump to better yourself. you're no better than a fast food worker.

mass of commie yahoos joining en force to hijack negotiations and blackmail healthy business into meeting excessive and outrageous demands. what do they call it again... a strike? yeah this is strike ONE, wait til these no name jobs get automated in a few years and they'll be OUT on the street.

fking queers all of em

Default Re: new york plans $15/hr wage for fast food workers

i can understand 15/hr in New York. Just look at their cost of living.... most salaries there are higher than else where anyway.

Banned

I have to disagree with the OP.

Why is it end of the world? I think we need to stop this stigma about fast food workers. If the company is willing to pay $15 hour, instead of complaining, people should should work for them.

These fast food chains make billions off cheap labor. It is only right to pay their workers.

Banned

Knicks101 be rubbing his hands like Birdman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    i can understand 15/hr in New York. Just look at their cost of living.... most salaries there are higher than else where anyway.
    this.

It's crazy how people complain about something they have no idea of.

rank sentamentalist

Why is it end of the world? I think we need to stop this stigma about fast food workers. If the company is willing to pay $15 hour, instead of complaining, people should should work for them.
    companies ARENT willing to pay numbnuts, this is legislated

As the implementation date for Seattle’s strict $15 per hour minimum wage law approaches, the city is experiencing a rising trend in restaurant closures. The tough new law goes into effect April 1st. The closings have occurred across the city, from Grub in the upscale Queen Anne Hill neighborhood, to Little Uncle in gritty Pioneer Square, to the Boat Street Cafe on Western Avenue near the waterfront.

The shut-downs have idled dozens of low-wage workers, the very people advocates say the wage law is supposed to help. Instead of delivering the promised “living wage” of $15 an hour, economic realities created by the new law have dropped the hourly wage for these workers to zero.

Advocates of a high minimum wage said businesses would simply pay the mandated wage out of profits, raising earnings for workers. Restaurants operate on thin margins, though, with average profits of 4% or less, and the business is highly competitive.

From Forbes.
    You'll also notice, the amount of those on welfare in Seattle (and parts of California with an overly inflated minimum wage) hasn't gone down. Why?

Because if you make too much, you lose your handouts.

All the law did was cost people jobs, and make others who make $16-$20 resentful that someone with little to no value in the workforce suddenly makes a comparable wage.

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Knicks101 be rubbing his hands like Birdman

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    companies ARENT willing to pay numbnuts, this is legislated
    Are you talking about private restaurants or franchisee owners?
    Which sector are you talking about when it comes to fast food?

Because if you're actually symphatetic towards franchisee owners; than you need to do some research. Those guys pay between $120,000 to 2/3M per store (depending on the location) and reap huge profits. If you have money it's one of the best investments you can make (McDonalds for example). I know people who own 5 to 10 stores because they have money. The HQ controls the entire operation; they literally provide the owners with the guidelines on how they need to operate each store and come for quarterly audits.

Point is; if we're talking about fast food franchises; those owners can easily afford to pay workers $15/hour. Trust me I've seen their books. I was doing inventory management for one of the owners while attending University and taking care of his deliveries. I was calculating his profits and ratios every weekend. The man was making large cash. The royalties aren't even that high.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K

All the law did was cost people jobs, and make others who make $16-$20 resentful that someone with little to no value in the workforce suddenly makes a comparable wage.
    Why the resentment? If it's a comparable wage with little to no value, why not join them? Oh wait, they rather have their office job instead of actually busting their ass behind a grill.

You get what I am saying here.

The only resentment one should have is towards their employers for not increasing their wages accordingly to the state's.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    You'll also notice, the amount of those on welfare in Seattle (and parts of California with an overly inflated minimum wage) hasn't gone down. Why?

Because if you make too much, you lose your handouts.

Can you provide a link to the article. As per the article itself the legislation hadn't even gone into effect when these restaurants were shutting down so to apply causality in this case is premature. All these scare tactics are bullshit. The world isn't going to come to a halt because the people flipping burgers are making $15 dollars an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Can you provide a link to the article. As per the article itself the legislation hadn't even gone into effect when these restaurants were shutting down so to apply causality in this case is premature. All these scare tactics are bullshit. The world isn't going to come to a halt because the people flipping burgers are making $15 dollars an hour.
    Sure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...-minimum-wage/

College superstar

still not enough to live in NY......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    They're not just 'flipping burgers', I like to equate them to assembly line workers for GM and Ford. Essentially everything comes down through an assembly line in a fast food restaurant. GM workers are only screwing screws? Pushing tires?

Assembly line workers get paid so I don't see a problem with fast food workers getting paid. The company is making money off cheap labor that is why there is negativity towards 'burger flippers'.

Take notice people...working at fast food joints are not that bad. I suggest those that need a job, apply to these places.

rank sentamentalist

They're not just 'flipping burgers', I like to equate them to assembly line workers for GM and Ford. Essentially everything comes down through an assembly line in a fast food restaurant. GM workers are only screwing screws? Pushing tires?
    fk off dude, there's a difference between assembling a vehicle and assembling a hamburger. nobody's squirting kethup up the exhaust for flavour. might as well give $30/hr to the guy who details your car.