Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jose holding his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
said his defense has been "decent" and somehow you mistook the word "decent" for "terrible"

Quote:
hahaha, I mean he did a decent job defending CP3, but Paul, Nash, and Kidd have all been slumping.

You said "decent defending CP3", so I understand you meant that Calderon's defense wasn't decent in the other games.

If now you say that Calderon is doing a decent job in defense lately, then ok, I agree. But don't forget that Calderon was considered "the worst defender in the NBA" this summer in this forum.

And if you add to his decent defense his huge ability as a playmaker, then you have to accept that he has been a key player in the victories...
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
From Doug Smith's blog.

Interesting.

On 590 with Bob McCowan right before the pregame to NO games they (Jack and Doug) discussed draft choice. K Irving came up (though neither could remember his name) LMAO. So much for Jacks rep as a scout. Another guys' name came up out of East Kentucky school. Senior player on a teir B team - McCowan called him the "complete package". Cant find the kid on the net though ....

Anyone know of this stud PG from Eastern Kentucky U or perhaps it was Eastern Tennesse ??? 4th year student - on a B school setting it on fire ?

--

Jose is playing solid ball. Saw the game against NO live and Jose really manged the game well. While on the other hand - Jarrett Jack just FED Bayliss - pwned him in Q2 - and I am the guy who likes Bayliss potential

One point I would mention is that Andres had foul troubles in the second and the 4th. So Jose - who is a little slower against the elite guards - and a little lazy with "usual handslap" D and let the rotation cover the drive - did bennefit from Amir's and Ed Davis patroling the interior for far more minutes than usual. In fact Amir ended up with something like 7 blocked shots.

Further JJ started the game and JJ had a couple of blocked shots/illegal D/and goaltending calls. i.e. ones that dont show up in his stats. He played a great rotational d game.

--

Jose is probably destined for another team despite his proficiency and certain laps defensively.

His game management, passing and vision (all VG and above average) is impacted by his slow foot speed and weak D - especially because he is playing on a D challenged team. I dont know which came first.... Jose's d as a root cause or a symptom of the Raptor D. Tomato - Tomahto - either is a fair call.

Its not a personal slag on Jose... I would say the same about Mike Bibby or J Terry in Dallas.

Given the direction of the team - younger with less money ebing spent on big contracts - Jose just doesnt suit the longer term needs of the team.

I am sure we all wish him well.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
so I understand you meant that Calderon's defense wasn't decent in the other games.
You "understand" based on what? Based on what you imagined? Based on what you added in your mind? Yes, I said he did a decent job of defending CP3. Nowhere does it say he did a "terrible" job of defending the other 3 players. Nor was it even insinuated that he did. This is what was said:
Quote:
Calderon puts together a few good games and suddenly the guy is singing his praises.
Now if you want to disagree and say he should be lavished with praises? You go ahead and do that, because then it'd just be a difference in opinion. But if you want to look at that sentence and restructure it in your head to say "he did a decent job against CP3, and a "terrible" job against Kidd, Rose, and Nash, well then you're pretty much just making shit up. And there's really no place for that here.

Quote:
If now you say that Calderon is doing a decent job in defense lately, then ok, I agree.
Man alive.... Does it take you reading something 3 times to finally acknowledge the actual words that were said rather than what you created and fabricated?

Quote:
But don't forget that Calderon was considered "the worst defender in the NBA" this summer in this forum.
Calderon was never at any time considered "the worst defender in the NBA." But he certainly was considered one of the worst defenders at his position in the NBA for a starting pg. Which was entirely reasonable because he was, if you actually paid attention.

Quote:
And if you add to his decent defense his huge ability as a playmaker, then you have to accept that he has been a key player in the victories...
Yes, he was certainly been a key player in the victories, again, never said he wasn't. Unfortunately, he's helping us get victories where they don't matter anymore.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Yes, he was certainly been a key player in the victories, again, never said he wasn't. Unfortunately, he's helping us get victories where they don't matter anymore.
Great. That's more than I expected to read. I don't mind the rest of the thread. You won the verbal battle. Whatever.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
Great. That's more than I expected to read. I don't mind the rest of the thread. You won the verbal battle. Whatever.
The thing is, I wasn't even trying to win any verbal battle. I literally spent all of my posts trying to get you to address what was actually written rather than what you made up and the only thing you've gotten out of this conversation at all was "great, he said something positive about Calderon."
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
And you are only a "young onez" fan. Go support a D-League team.

What do the Young Onez have to do with D-League? Sure Weems is crap but don't be mad because Amir and DeMar are more exciting to watch and are a bigger part of the future than Bargs and Jose. I've been watching this team since the inaugural season. I bet if Bargs and Jose were traded tomorrow, you'd stop watching.

Last edited by Reef : 03-03-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
The thing is, I wasn't even trying to win any verbal battle. I literally spent all of my posts trying to get you to address what was actually written rather than what you made up and the only thing you've gotten out of this conversation at all was "great, he said something positive about Calderon."
Yeah, you did it. Awesome.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef

What do the Young Onez have to do with D-League? Sure Weems is crap but don't be mad because Amir and DeMar are more exciting to watch and are a bigger part of the future than Bargs and Jose. I've been watching this team since the inaugural season. I bet if Bargs and Jose were traded tomorrow, you'd stop watching.
I am a Calderon fan, about Bargnani I am rather neutral.
I started watching Raptors fans to learn if Calderon was so much better than Ford as people said here in Spain. I wasn't a Calderon fan then.
I began to read this forum to learn if Raptors fans were so biased in favor of Ford and against Calderon as a friend of mine told me.
Now I have watched so many Raptors games that I think I will remain a Raptors fan after Calderon is traded.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
bokes15
Playoffs!

It's ok to admit you're just a Calderon fan. He's from Spain, you're from Spain, it makes sense. I'm totally fine with that. Just don't call out the whole board for analyzing a player relative to what he does for the team. It's not about where they are from, it's about winning and contributing to winning basketball. Period. You have proven that winning or losing doesn't matter to you as long Calderon and Bargnani put up good numbers, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you jumped ship if they ever get traded.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: