Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why didn't Gus Johnson dominate the 60s?

6'6 230 high flying dunker. Credited with 3 broken backboards. Evidence of dunking ability (as has been posted in other threads):

According to some (many?), if you put a skilled, athletic modern NBA player back in the 60s, they would be putting up Wilt/Oscar numbers.

Gus's best seasons had his high at 20.7 ppg one season, and 13.6 rebounds another season. His best shooting season was 46.7%. Good numbers but not dominant. He was a five time all-star and HOFer, so he's not a flash in the pan either.

Default Re: Why didn't Gus Johnson dominate the 60s?

Weak shoulders (dislocated by Wilt block) prevented him from achieving true greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Weak shoulders (dislocated by Wilt block) prevented him from achieving true greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    6'6 230 high flying dunker. Credited with 3 broken backboards. Evidence of dunking ability (as has been posted in other threads):

According to some (many?), if you put a skilled, athletic modern NBA player back in the 60s, they would be putting up Wilt/Oscar numbers.

Gus's best seasons had his high at 20.7 ppg one season, and 13.6 rebounds another season. His best shooting season was 46.7%. Good numbers but not dominant. He was a five time all-star and HOFer, so he's not a flash in the pan either.
    Maybe he wasn't that athletic/skilled?

That dunk looked like what Jared Dudley could do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KIaGLprVhI

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Maybe he wasn't that athletic/skilled?

That dunk looked like what Jared Dudley could do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KIaGLprVhI
    But if you compare it to the infamous Cousy ankle breaker and then use that as evidence for how weak the era was, one has to wonder why a player with Gus's leaping ability (for that era) didn't just destroy white dudes, and the rest of the guys who could only dribble with their right hand.

But if you compare it to the infamous Cousy ankle breaker and then use that as evidence for how weak the era was, one has to wonder why a player with Gus's leaping ability (for that era) didn't just destroy white dudes, and the rest of the guys who could only dribble with their right hand.
    Again, maybe he wasn't that athletic/skilled?

So is the moral of the story that one gif means jack shit for judging an era?

So is the moral of the story that one gif means jack shit for judging an era?
    Well depends on the gif and context.

Well depends on the gif and context.
    Sure, but if what you knew of the 60s was some stats and titles, and then saw the Cousy gif, you might think that the guys in your rec league or high school would do better back then (which some have said although hard to know if trolling or serious).

Before I started lurking on ISH, I hadn't seen much about the 60s. Then I saw stuff like the Gus Johnson dunk, Russell going coast to coast and jumping over a player from near the foul line, or Wilt blocking a shot way the heck up in a college game. So it changed my perspective. Maybe some of these guys were just as athletic. Maybe Wilt would be a freak of nature in any era, and he didn't just dominate by virtue of being physically bigger than everyone else.

I've seen video that makes the 60s look weak, and video that makes the players look modern. Some have judged Wilt's moves based on highlights from a series where he was bothered by injuries and looks awkward and stiff. But then there are highlights were he's moving very well.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Cavsftw or any older posters gonna chime in? Op has me intrigued

You're wrong, there's no "maybe" about it. He was the first player to take off at the free throw line to dunk in the open court in a game. 3 broken backboards, was the first player who would bring the ball down to waist level in mid air then still dunk it. His standing vertical reach, is a known 11 feet 6 inches (google gus johnson and 'the nail' marking how high he could touch). Athletically Gus Johnson was probably a hybrid between Dominique Wilkins and Charles Barkley in terms of raw physical abilities. Wasn't quite as acrobatic as 'Nique, wasn't quite as powerful as Barkley... was something in between. He was the strongest forward in his era. I have a small amount of footage of him, and he's incredibly athletic in the clips of him when he's younger.

BTW I've been on again off again working on a revision of the Gus Johnson mix with a small handful of new clips. Perhaps I'll finish it up soon.

And Gus Johnson is widely considered one of the best players of his era by his peers, he's just forgotten these days. He was the best defensive forward of his era, and the strongest forward of his era, as well as the most athletic forward of his era. He was also one of the most injury prone, probably due to the way he played. He wasn't the most productive though as stated in the OP. But he was a great player who understood how to play the game at a very high level, he wasn't just athletic he could shoot, play in the post, etc. His passing skills look amazing.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-28-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Just too many great athletes back then.

He would be a dominant player in today's NBA though. Maybe top-5.

it is pretty funny that we have to judge players from 60s from a few GIFs. if we are lucky we get a 5-10 mins highlight video.
    This is why i hate discussing top 10 player rankings for all time. it should be after and before enough video footage was available. you can only judge players based on stats, pace of the league and at least 70-80 full game footage from their peak years.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Just too many great athletes back then.

He would be a dominant player in today's NBA though. Maybe top-5.
    how old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    it is pretty funny that we have to judge players from 60s from a few GIFs. if we are lucky we get a 5-10 mins highlight video.
    This is why i hate discussing top 10 player rankings for all time. it should be after and before enough video footage was available. you can only judge players based on stats, pace of the league and at least 70-80 full game footage from their peak years.
    For what it's worth I do have about 10 minutes of Gus Johnson footage like I said I will try to get it finished soon