Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #31
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can Lakers keep BOTH Ariza and Odom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Baylor
A similar, but shorter article from my local paper:

Looks like it's in your hands whether you want to keep this team together Lamar.

No offence really.. but I personally would not be pissed at L.O. if things dont work out. I love the fella and think that if there is a possibility to take less and be in a situation, that he will attempt to do it. However with that said, he is older and in a bad economy... He does pay high taxes for the major bucks he makes.. So if someone out there throws crazy money at him, considering the horrid economic state of this country, I would not blame his for a moment if he chose to look out for his financial well being..

With that said.. Im not sure if anyone in the NBA will really attempt to give him a heavy contract because of the money conditions and his age. So I really hope that the Buss family steps up to the plate in paying him, and that at the same time he meets them halfway with accepting a bit less than hes accustomed to.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #32
Elgin Baylor
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Elgin Baylor is considered somewhat coolElgin Baylor is considered somewhat coolElgin Baylor is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
No offence really.. but I personally would not be pissed at L.O. if things dont work out. I love the fella and think that if there is a possibility to take less and be in a situation, that he will attempt to do it. However with that said, he is older and in a bad economy... He does pay high taxes for the major bucks he makes.. So if someone out there throws crazy money at him, considering the horrid economic state of this country, I would not blame his for a moment if he chose to look out for his financial well being..

With that said.. Im not sure if anyone in the NBA will really attempt to give him a heavy contract because of the money conditions and his age. So I really hope that the Buss family steps up to the plate in paying him, and that at the same time he meets them halfway with accepting a bit less than hes accustomed to.
Which is pretty much what I said. I wasn't pressuring Lamar or saying he was a trader if he chose to opt out of a Lakers contract, just that it seemed he was the only one who hadn't confirmed he wanted to stay (although according to another poster he did, so I suppose I was wrong).

No offense taken, by the way.
Elgin Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 AM   #33
MFC
I airball my layups

MFC is a pretty well-respected posterMFC is a pretty well-respected posterMFC is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd be surprised if we don't keep them both. Buss has proven that he's happy to pay for a winner, and that's exactly what he's got in this team.

If he doesn't want to pay for both of them, then he can enjoy watching his team not make the Finals next season, and miss the extra money that a championship and extra home games bring.
MFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #34
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC
I'd be surprised if we don't keep them both. Buss has proven that he's happy to pay for a winner, and that's exactly what he's got in this team.

If he doesn't want to pay for both of them, then he can enjoy watching his team not make the Finals next season, and miss the extra money that a championship and extra home games bring.

lool you're being just a little dramatic here.

I believe lakers can make the finals again if we're only missing one. I can bet my whole life savings that we will retain at least one of them. Ariza will be much harder to replace though if he leaves.

The smart plan is to keep Ariza as fast as possible and get that out of the way. With Odom we can negotiate a little bit more since he wants to stay here and even Odom doubts he'll get a crazy offer. However if he does get a crazy offer, we can get another player to score off the bench. As some people stated, Grant Hill would be a nice addition. Only if Odom left though would I go for such a thing.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #35
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you disagree... Dont hate please...

With that said... Im wondering what people think about an Ariza sign and trade for Prince from Detroit.

Its been stated that Detroit may offer up a good amount of cash for Arizas services. So if the Lakers get close to loosing him, would it be a bad deal to make a sign&trade?

Tayshaun does bring a solid 3 point shot and solid D like Trevor does..

I would hate to see it happen because I love trevs personality and he is young enough to be stellar for a long time...

However would it be the worst deal to occur?
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #36
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

cotdt has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
The smart plan is to keep Ariza as fast as possible and get that out of the way. With Odom we can negotiate a little bit more since he wants to stay here and even Odom doubts he'll get a crazy offer. However if he does get a crazy offer, we can get another player to score off the bench. As some people stated, Grant Hill would be a nice addition. Only if Odom left though would I go for such a thing.

It seems to me Odom is the player that is more difficult to replace because he can run the Lakers offense and is basically the 6th man. The Lakers 2nd unit really stinks w/o him, as we've seen during the regular season. Odom's inconsistency pisses me off though.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #37
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Lamar Odom wants to return to the Los Angeles Lakers, and he hopes the team will keep both him and starter Trevor Ariza.

Odom and Ariza become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

"You want to keep the team together," Odom said Thursday. "We just won a championship, you don't want to see one piece not there. Hopefully we can keep everybody here."

Odom met with coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak during an individual 20-minute exit interview.

Hopefully, it won't take that long," he said, joking about upcoming contract negotiations. "In and out, three years, 80 million."

In between player interviews, Jackson took a congratulatory call from President Barack Obama. A visit to the White House by the Lakers is under discussion, a team spokesman said.

Kobe Bryant, MVP of the finals, can terminate the last two years of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent next month. His exit interview is set for Friday.

Odom, who turns 30 in November, played a key role off the bench in the Lakers' run to their 15th NBA championship. He averaged 12.3 points and 9.1 rebounds during the playoffs. He made $14.1 million this season.

In a downtrodden economy, this summer's free agent market could see fewer offers and less money being offered by teams. That might make it possible for the Lakers to bring back both Odom and Ariza, who made a case for a significant raise with his defense on Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu in the finals.

Ariza averaged 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in the playoffs, and earned $3.1 million this season. A day earlier, he said he wants to return to his hometown team.

"It's always difficult, especially the economic times we're in now," Odom said. "I got to make a decision that is best for my family. At this point in my career, I owned a home, I owned a car, done pretty well. Everything I do now is for them and their kids. It's my time to pay that back to my family."

Odom said he wouldn't be swayed by another team offering him a starting spot.

"I won my first championship coming off the bench, that doesn't make a difference," he said.

If he returns, Odom said he anticipates playing more minutes at point guard and small forward while rebounding more.

Jackson and Kupchak encouraged Odom to stay in shape and hit the weights during the offseason, which he took as a sign the team wants him back. At the same time, in a nod to his social life, they urged restraint.

"We won a championship, I'm 29, decent looking," he said, smiling. "When we go out, I'm well-received, so they want me to take care of myself.

"I go out to a restaurant, everyone stands up and claps, go to the supermarket and everyone starts clapping."

Like Odom and Ariza, high-jumping reserve guard Shannon Brown becomes an unrestricted free agent five months after coming from Charlotte in a trade. He averaged 4.9 points and 1.2 rebounds in the playoffs, getting his most minutes against Houston in the Western Conference semifinals that went seven games.

"I think they're very interested in bringing me back, I want to be back," he said. "It's real important. Got another chance to win another championship and continue to get better. With this group of guys we got, the sky's the limit how good we can be."

Both Ariza and Odom have stated they want to stay...get it done Mitch.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: