Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default Sterling is Racist.. and you're self righteous.

Am I the only one who thinks "So What?" Sterling is Jerk; Big deal. Is there going to be a personality test for every perspective owner to make sure he not only can pay the bills but also that he's a nice guy who only holds socially acceptable opinions? Are we going to mandate that the owners like all their players? Are we going to Forget that Chris Paul would only resign if the Clippers hired a Black coach? What should be "done" is to let the market clean this guys clock. don't watch them on tv. don't go to the games, don't sign with his team. Next time you go to the store and buy some food think about the process that brought it to you. The man who harvested it, the worker who picked it, the plant owner and workers who processed it. the person who packaged it, the forklift operator who loaded it, the truck driver who brought it to the store, the worker who stocked it. Do you think no one along that chain was racist or homophobic or sexist or prejudiced or bigoted in any way? if you do then just know your supporting them through your purchases. If you still buy it then lets just accept that outrage over Sterling's comments are really more about you than they are about him.

Default Re: Sterling is Racist.. and you're self righteous.

tl;dr

the real self righteous are the ones that call others self righteous

oh ishnits

I usually hit open layups

you seem pretty stressed out about this situation, first the thread in the nba forum now this...

you made some good points, but fcuk sterling, as a man of such prominence you would expect him to have the decency to keep his opinion to himself, especially because the engine of his team is driven by blacks, imagine if all of those black boys walked away, how much money would he lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    Am I the only one who thinks "So What?" Sterling is Jerk; Big deal. Is there going to be a personality test for every perspective owner to make sure he not only can pay the bills but also that he's a nice guy who only holds socially acceptable opinions? Are we going to mandate that the owners like all their players? Are we going to Forget that Chris Paul would only resign if the Clippers hired a Black coach? What should be "done" is to let the market clean this guys clock. don't watch them on tv. don't go to the games, don't sign with his team. Next time you go to the store and buy some food think about the process that brought it to you. The man who harvested it, the worker who picked it, the plant owner and workers who processed it. the person who packaged it, the forklift operator who loaded it, the truck driver who brought it to the store, the worker who stocked it. Do you think no one along that chain was racist or homophobic or sexist or prejudiced or bigoted in any way? if you do then just know your supporting them through your purchases. If you still buy it then lets just accept that outrage over Sterling's comments are really more about you than they are about him.
    we will never know who the hell they are to find out if their political views, so how could we assume one way or another?

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Am I the only one who thinks "So What?" Sterling is Jerk; Big deal. Is there going to be a personality test for every perspective owner to make sure he not only can pay the bills but also that he's a nice guy who only holds socially acceptable opinions?
    There always has been. If he was negotiating to buy a team when this came out, it seems unlikely to me that a deal would be made. If you express opinions which result in public outrage, it's not good the NBA's PR, and the other owners aren't going to want you in their club. You can think whatever you want, but if you let your thoughts go public, expect repercussions.

Are we going to mandate that the owners like all their players? Are we going to Forget that Chris Paul would only resign if the Clippers hired a Black coach?
    Do we have any reason to think Sterling dislikes his players? What does that have to do with anything?

If you want to be outraged by something that Chris Paul said, then go ahead. Send angry letters, demand that the NBA punishes him, boycott him. But the public at large doesn't care, so you probably won't accomplish anything. If you think they ought to care, then write about it, explain it, convince them that it matters, if you can.

What should be "done" is to let the market clean this guys clock. don't watch them on tv. don't go to the games, don't sign with his team.
    The most important thing is that it's made clear that the opinions he expressed are widely considered to be repugnant. The goal is to dissuade others from promoting similar ideas, and to prevent the easily influenced from adopting them.

That can probably be accomplished by simply expressing outrage, resulting in a public apology, and humiliation. If he refuses to apologize, or if the public demands that punitive actions be taken, then fines, job loss, boycott, divestment, and/or ostracism are the next steps.

Next time you go to the store and buy some food think about the process that brought it to you. The man who harvested it, the worker who picked it, the plant owner and workers who processed it. the person who packaged it, the forklift operator who loaded it, the truck driver who brought it to the store, the worker who stocked it. Do you think no one along that chain was racist or homophobic or sexist or prejudiced or bigoted in any way? if you do then just know your supporting them through your purchases. If you still buy it then lets just accept that outrage over Sterling's comments are really more about you than they are about him.
    If any of those workers publicly expressed racist views, and got a significant amount of attention, then it's likely that they would be fired. If their employers stood by them, then it's likely that people would organize a boycott of their employer.

If they keep their views to themselves, and don't harm anyone, then there is nothing to be outraged over.
    Last edited by Inactive; 04-27-2014 at 04:02 AM.

The OP has a point, although there is still a clear difference as Sterling is a very important man of the Clippers team, hes the owner. The owner is the image of the company, the products it sells and the services it offers. This will be way less of a drama if Sterling is merely a staff hired by the Clippers front office, whose existence probably aint even known to most players.

Its the same story for the food example, you wont be worrying about the people involved in the supply chain since even if you know who they are, they are of little importance to you. But if the owner of the supermarket is being rude to you, you probably will be quite defensive against him.

But I do agree that people are taking it a bit far. To me it seems that Sterling's girlfriend cheated on him with a black man, and he freaked out with racist comments. I bet even Sterling is regretting this now, but oh man what a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    But I do agree that people are taking it a bit far. To me it seems that Sterling's girlfriend cheated on him with a black man, and he freaked out with racist comments. I bet even Sterling is regretting this now, but oh man what a mistake.
    What? She took a picture with Magic Johnson, and he got mad at her for publicly associating with a black person. He even said she could have sex with "them", do whatever she wanted with them, as long as she keeps it private. It seems to me that he thinks being seen with black people makes him look trashy. All of this is very strange because she is half black, but since she has relatively light skin I guess he's able to pretend she's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    There always has been. If he was negotiating to buy a team when this came out, it seems unlikely to me that a deal would be made. If you express opinions which result in public outrage, it's not good the NBA's PR, and the other owners aren't going to want you in their club. You can think whatever you want, but if you let your thoughts go public, expect repercussions.

Do we have any reason to think Sterling dislikes his players? What does that have to do with anything?

If you want to be outraged by something that Chris Paul said, then go ahead. Send angry letters, demand that the NBA punishes him, boycott him. But the public at large doesn't care, so you probably won't accomplish anything. If you think they ought to care, then write about it, explain it, convince them that it matters, if you can.

The most important thing is that it's made clear that the opinions he expressed are widely considered to be repugnant. The goal is to dissuade others from promoting similar ideas, and to prevent the easily influenced from adopting them.

That can probably be accomplished by simply expressing outrage, resulting in a public apology, and humiliation. If he refuses to apologize, or if the public demands that punitive actions be taken, then fines, job loss, boycott, divestment, and/or ostracism are the next steps.

If any of those workers publicly expressed racist views, and got a significant amount of attention, then it's likely that they would be fired. If their employers stood by them, then it's likely that people would organize a boycott of their employer.

If they keep their views to themselves, and don't harm anyone, then there is nothing to be outraged over.
    Do you work for thought police?

Banned

1st of all I'm not reading that. 2nd of all, you're a f@ggot. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    Do you work for thought police?
    No. Fortunately we don't have any thought police in the U.S. But we're all at the mercy of the court of public opinion, to some extent.

I can also see the utility of this sort of public response. We can't have a stable society for very long without some social taboos, and I'm personally glad that racism has become one.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Illegal streams and not going to anymore home Clipper games (until he is gone) is enough for me

NBA Superstar

Your point isn't without merit but this latest leak is just another example of Sterling's failures as an executive.

Aside from it not being his first racist outburst (see Deadspin for a detailed history) he up until recently has mishandled the franchise.

there is a bit of pile on going here, but it is deserved. Clips have been a shit show and would still be a shit show if David Stern didn't veto the CP3 to the Lakers trade.

Its PC outrage but there is a healthy dose of nastiness because of Sterling's body of work.

Also, what is he doing with all these young b*tches? Guy needs to handle his business and his domestic better.

weaksauce all around.

OP is not a ******

but an idiot.