Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Default OT: Delgado blames playing in Toronto for lack of recognition.

Quote:
Carlos Delgado may have been the player most under-appreciated during the steroids era, according to an article by Tom Verducci.

The Sports Illustrated writer asked Delgado plainly if he ever used steroids.

"Not one time," Delgado replied firmly. "I don't want to interrupt you, but ... People can think whatever they want. They're going to anyway. What are you going to do? React to what some guy in Kansas says, or some guy in Philadelphia says or some guy in L.A. says?"

Delgado was overshadowed in an era when attention was placed heavily on Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez, who have been embroiled with PED allegations.

"I didn't get full credit because I was playing in Toronto," said Delgado. "That's it. That's my opinion. I might be wrong. I don't think about the whole steroid deal. I don't know if somebody did it or how much it affected the game. I just look at the numbers. That's the only thing you can go on.

"It's pretty hard to prove how big the impact is. I'm not good with those guessing games. I just go with the numbers."

Delgado is now on the doorstep of 500 homers and has been extremely consistent throughout his career.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ado/index.html
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
b4ball
Local High School Star

Default Re: OT: Delgado blames playing in Toronto for lack of recognition.

I had never thought about Delgado and the steroid era before. It really is too bad that we will never know the truth about who did use PED and who didn't. A player like Delgado, who if as he claims remained clean would have been an even bigger star then he was. But I would not say Toronto had anything to do with him not getting the additional recognition he feels he deserves. It was not Toronto that let him down, it was MLB and the players association and some of his team mates and everybody else who used PED.

I met him several times, he is a genuine good guy. I always loved that he took time talk to fans. He's one of the best all time Blue Jays and I think he will remain there for a long long time.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Whatever man, blame Canada. He's been in NYMets pulling decent numbers yet he still doesn't get mention as much as a Yankee prospec.

Should of gone to the pin stips but no, you gone to the wrong NY team...moron.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

carlos is in no way insulting the city of toronto. it's a well known fact that american networks ignore us mostly due to broadcasting rights.

carlos is basically saying "NBC, ABC and TBS ignore the jays, so other players who were on TV constantly at the time received more recognition."

no big deal.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
carlos is in no way insulting the city of toronto. it's a well known fact that american networks ignore us mostly due to broadcasting rights.

carlos is basically saying "NBC, ABC and TBS ignore the jays, so other players who were on TV constantly at the time received more recognition."

no big deal.

He's with the Mets now, still got nothing over the other elite players. Its common nowadays to say sports teams in Canada like Basketball and Baseball dont get the US coverage, not saying he insult our city at all.

If I were to pick a team to go to btw Mets and Yankees? I pick Yankees unless you are a Yankee hater then you go to Mets but you want recognition? Mets is the wrong team. You dont see David Weight or Ryes (when he was with the team) get real recognition until they go into playoffs that 1 year.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
SESSEL15
High School Starter

I will never forget the game where he hit 4 home runs. He was the most exciting Jay to to watch when he was at the plate. No one has come close since he left.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

There is no insult towards Canada or Toronto in there and he is 100% correct.

It is a well known fact that the Jays don't get a whole lot of airplay or even discussion down in the states.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
T-Low
College superstar

Honestly, this is a 2-way thing. If Delgado wanted more airplay, he would have made his team that much better. The better the Team Toronto is, the more airplay we would have got. We can partially blame this due to the management we had at the time.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Honestly, this is a 2-way thing. If Delgado wanted more airplay, he would have made his team that much better. The better the Team Toronto is, the more airplay we would have got. We can partially blame this due to the management we had at the time.

Yupp.. If he would have led Toronto to a World Series then maybe he would have gotten a little bit more recognition. Obviously it wasn't all his fault but you can't blame the city or organization for yourself not gettin your props. Because at the end of the day, it's on your shoulders to make yourself respected.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: