Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Default Emeka Okafor

What do you guys think about his freeagency situation this year. Also what was the point of drafting May if you guys already had Okafor who is a solid starting PF. Were they thinking he was just a decent backup or were the Bobcats thinking he was a potential starter as well. I always wanted to know what was with that I could never understand that.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
BeebCats
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Emeka Okafor

I'm pretty confident that Okafor will resign with us when the time comes, I think he was trying to play for some more money this season... Doesn't look like he's going to get much more than was offered imo.

As for Sean May, I think we were trying to go a small lineup at times, putting Okafor at C and May at PF... but who knows. May's proven to be very solid when he's not injured, as rarely as that is. Let's just hope his recovery from the knee surgery goes well and he's able to be a solid backup for next season.
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

May's 1st offseason it was said he was trying to develop his outside game a little so he could play some SF or certainly PF in a small line-up with Mek at Center. I think May was probably drafted in the hope he would start short term and then become a 6th man type of guy who's first off the bench when any forward/center is injured and who could fill in at multiple positions even if as a temporary thing.

With him backing up the 4 and 5 and Carroll the main replacement long term for 2 and 3 we didn't need to blow lots of money on a vet FA. The amazing thing to me though was why we drafted Morrison and not a pure SG since that was our main need back then. I think there was alot of hype about him and a bit like drafting 2 Tarheels the season before, we went with the popular pick thinking that would be safer.

Now we have alot more depth behind our starters and that is partly down to May missing alot of time and thus others getting a chance. I personally would like to keep Hollins and Davidson to back up Okafor and Mohammed (given our small line-up we might not need a 5th recognised big with Wallace and Dudley on the roster) so I can see May's days here being numbered. I thought he did exceptionally well when in and his stats show that, but he never seems fit even when he's able to play. My worry is he'll want more money than we feel he is worth injury and motivation wise because of his draft position, but if there is a way we can keep him I think it would be a gamble with alot of upside but still as a 6th man type, non starter but more than a back-up getting time every game he can suit up for type of role.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

I would see using May as much as possible next season while he's healthy with the goal of creating some trade value so he can be packaged and dealt to another team as the FO sees fit.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

May is worthless. He won't be healthy, ever. Okafor will be wrapped up this summer b/c he had no reason to demand as much money as he did and isn't playing to those demands.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
BeebCats
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
May is worthless. He won't be healthy, ever. Okafor will be wrapped up this summer b/c he had no reason to demand as much money as he did and isn't playing to those demands.

Okafor's a smart guy, I think he'll know he won't get much more anywhere else. It's hard to imagine him going anywhere else.
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

Agree. I think Mek's value has come down if anything this season, though at least he has stayed healthy sofar.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUK
Agree. I think Mek's value has come down if anything this season, though at least he has stayed healthy sofar.

knock on wood
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUK
His value has DEFINITELY dropped. And ya, knock on wood.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

So will Okafor be an unrestricted free agent? There are a few teams that could want to go after him this offseason. I'm not aware of cap situations, but if Seattle could get another young piece in the draft, and then get Okafor, they would be looking pretty good in the future. Memphis might want him if they decide to get rid of Pau, and maybe Philadelphia would want him.

I wouldn't get rid of him if I were Charlotte management. They would be VERY thin on the front line without him.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

I'm not 100% sure but I think Mek will be a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer around $7 million. I am pretty sure the Bobcats will match whatever offer anyone makes which could mean we get him cheaper than we want... alah the Cavs and Varejao.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure but I think Mek will be a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer around $7 million. I am pretty sure the Bobcats will match whatever offer anyone makes which could mean we get him cheaper than we want... alah the Cavs and Varejao.

Yup...RFA.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Thumbs up Re: Emeka Okafor

If we get more games like the one he played last night then he's certainly worth keeping. It was fun to see his post-game interview with Stephanie Ready; he seemed much more relaxed than usual and actually smiled and laughed during the interview.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

We have to keep him no matter what. We can't handle losing him unless we somehow get 2 decent bigs over the summer to replace him. Can't lose any depth in the frontcourt, Mek least of all.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
bballer
King of ISH

Quote:
We have to keep him no matter what. We can't handle losing him unless we somehow get 2 decent bigs over the summer to replace him. Can't lose any depth in the frontcourt, Mek least of all.
to me, he has lost a little of his value trade wise this year. not putting up the huge numbers that he was last year. i still think no doubt we have to keep him
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: