Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Default Re: Emeka Okafor

I think all of you are underestimating what Okafor is going to get in the offseason. Look at what Ben Wallace received from Chicago, and that was from someone with absolutely no offensive game. Okafor is just as good if not better than Wallace was defensively when he received his contract, and better offensively. Their arent many young legit bigs in the league right now, so expect a team with unlimited cap room like the Knicks for example to overpay him bigtime.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

I think you are over-estimating the market right now. TONS of GMs have become handcuffed by the massive contracts they have on their team. Free agency goes through cycles just like any other open market and many people/experts expect players to get a lot less this season than they have in recent off-seasons. Also, the depth of this up coming free agent class is better than anything in the past 3 or 4 years.

Also, while Okafor has value as a "legit young big", there are a few players who can terminate their contracts this summer and get big pay days. I think the Knicks, who have a plethora of bigs (Eddy Curry, David Lee, Zach Randolph, Jerome James), would be more inclined to pay someone like Gilbert Arenas or Corey Maggette. Some other teams might make a move for Okafor but I doubt any would be willing to pay anything near Ben Wallace's contract... and Wallace is the exception, not the rule; there is a reason the Pistons didn't try to match the Bulls offer - perfect example of winner's curse.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
liverpooty
Local High School Star

We shall see.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
I would see using May as much as possible next season while he's healthy with the goal of creating some trade value so he can be packaged and dealt to another team as the FO sees fit.

Y'know...that was my plan at the beginning of this season! Hopefully we can pull it off next go round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
I think all of you are underestimating what Okafor is going to get in the offseason. Look at what Ben Wallace received from Chicago, and that was from someone with absolutely no offensive game. Okafor is just as good if not better than Wallace was defensively when he received his contract, and better offensively. Their arent many young legit bigs in the league right now, so expect a team with unlimited cap room like the Knicks for example to overpay him bigtime.

I agree folks are underestimating what Mek's going to get. IF he can finish out the season without injury he will get at least what he got offered over the summer which was reported to be near 13 million per (which included some incentives...around 12 per without). He's averaging almost the same stats as last season and lately has been playing better than last season...so why wouldn't he get the same?

And I'll be very happy about it. Losing Mek would set us back years.

I don't really agree with the Ben Wallace comparison tho because he was in much bigger decline than John Paxson thought. If he could have done it over again he'd run from that deal like a scared little girl.

Always check your pockets after dealing with Joe Dumars...I don't think he's ever lost a trade.

Last edited by ~spectre~ : 02-13-2008 at 09:57 AM.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: