Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Default You guys need a BIG star player

I think if the Pacers get a Big time star player, their team will be far more recognizable. Cavaliers and Heat jerseys rose significantly since James and Wade joined those teams, respectively. Not many casual fans know who the Indiana Pacers are. That would change with a big name player. No suggestions, just thought I'd say this.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: You guys need a BIG star player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
I think if the Pacers get a Big time star player, their team will be far more recognizable. Cavaliers and Heat jerseys rose significantly since James and Wade joined those teams, respectively. Not many casual fans know who the Indiana Pacers are. That would change with a big name player. No suggestions, just thought I'd say this.

I think Ford could be a BIG STAR player i mean the year before he got injured last year he averaged 14 ppg 7.9 ast in only 29.9 mins he will be more used in Indiana too and they surrounded him with good shooters in Dunlevy Granger and Rush
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

No kidding?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
No kidding?
Same thing I was thinking.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I think Ford could be a BIG STAR player i mean the year before he got injured last year he averaged 14 ppg 7.9 ast in only 29.9 mins he will be more used in Indiana too and they surrounded him with good shooters in Dunlevy Granger and Rush

Ford is a good pg but he will never be a big star.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Ford is a good pg but he will never be a big star.
I wish.

But naw, you're right, he'll never be a big time star.

Maybe he has one all-star game in him, but that's a big maybe.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
PTstyle272
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
Same thing I was thinking.
Maybe if you gave an informative response instead of just going with "well duh" you'd have more people posting here.

Anyways....I dont think the Pacers need a big time star right now. To get one would mean blowing up the core of this team. It would definitley cost us Granger and couple of our younger guys with some potential or a pick. We are on the right track with this team right now.

And in a season or two people may look at Granger as a star, he has gotten better every year and this is his team now, it's his time to step up. The only thing were lacking is an enforcer in the paint, someone that is going to clear some pace for our shooters. Even if we don't get one before the season starts this team is going to surprise some people.
PTstyle272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTstyle272
Maybe if you gave an informative response instead of just going with "well duh" you'd have more people posting here.

Anyways....I dont think the Pacers need a big time star right now. To get one would mean blowing up the core of this team. It would definitley cost us Granger and couple of our younger guys with some potential or a pick. We are on the right track with this team right now.

And in a season or two people may look at Granger as a star, he has gotten better every year and this is his team now, it's his time to step up. The only thing were lacking is an enforcer in the paint, someone that is going to clear some pace for our shooters. Even if we don't get one before the season starts this team is going to surprise some people.
An informative response?

Half of this Pacers board is full of informative responses from me.

Maybe read a couple more threads before getting on my posting here.

kthnxbai
Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:

As far as what you're saying about Granger though, you're right.

I don't think we need a star player at the moment. What we have right now is perfect team play, and great chemistry. This team, down the stretch last year, played as a team, as a unit. better than any of the other teams watching the playoffs from their couch.

We've added more unselfish players, and I think our team comradery will only get better. As you said, Granger's getting better and better, and Dunleavy was no slouch last year, arguably putting up an all-star performance.

We have the pieces, outside of a great PF and good interior scoring, but Troy Murphy showed a lot last year post all-star break.

"Duh", of course a star player would help, they help every team, but experience is going to be our key.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
PTstyle272
Decent playground baller

Im sure you have put in a share of good posts, but being the mod here, and wanting more people to post, maybe an actual response would bring the guy back and maybe even start a conversation about something.

Kinda hard to do that with a generalized "no kidding?" statement.

Not a big deal man, i'd just like to see this forum do well. Been here since 02 when I was the only Pacer fan on here. Just now getting back to some posting. Your answer and the one above you just seemed like the guy was dumb for even posting his thoughts.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
PTstyle272
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez

We have the pieces, outside of a great PF and good interior scoring, but Troy Murphy showed a lot last year post all-star break.

"Duh", of course a star player would help, they help every team, but experience is going to be our key.

Troy Murphy is solid but not the big body we need. We need a Ben Wallace type who when the opposing team see's the guy in the lane you can actually see them thinking about whether or not they should. One who on offense can set a massive pick to free up the plethora of shooters we have. Murphy is more of a well rounded big man who doesn't do any one thing great but does alot of things just average.

And I somewhat agree with your "duh" response. A star player would help a ton, just only if they can be given to us without losing anything, unless its Jamaal.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Im sure you have put in a share of good posts, but being the mod here, and wanting more people to post, maybe an actual response would bring the guy back and maybe even start a conversation about something.

Kinda hard to do that with a generalized "no kidding?" statement.

Not a big deal man, i'd just like to see this forum do well. Been here since 02 when I was the only Pacer fan on here. Just now getting back to some posting. Your answer and the one above you just seemed like the guy was dumb for even posting his thoughts.

Good looks.

I'd like to see you around here more. I started watching the Pacers in the 01-02 season. I like to think I know pretty much everything on them since, so your opinion would be great here.

Quote:
Troy Murphy is solid but not the big body we need. We need a Ben Wallace type who when the opposing team see's the guy in the lane you can actually see them thinking about whether or not they should. One who on offense can set a massive pick to free up the plethora of shooters we have. Murphy is more of a well rounded big man who doesn't do any one thing great but does alot of things just average.

Ben Wallace is an unrestricted FA next year, I'd really like to see us snag him. He'd be the perfect fit here, honestly.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #13
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Pacers better hope Granger can turn into a real NBA star next year. He has had time to develop so next year its his time. But for them to be a legit contender they really do need a bonafide star. I would say a legit power forward type. Pair that with Granger and you would have a nice duo. But getting and talking about that star is easier said than done.

If Granger can improve and Dunleavy plays the way he did last season, they could possibly contend for 8th. But they really need to make some sort of deal to bring in some help.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #14
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Pacers better hope Granger can turn into a real NBA star next year. He has had time to develop so next year its his time. But for them to be a legit contender they really do need a bonafide star. I would say a legit power forward type. Pair that with Granger and you would have a nice duo. But getting and talking about that star is easier said than done.

If Granger can improve and Dunleavy plays the way he did last season, they could possibly contend for 8th. But they really need to make some sort of deal to bring in some help.
No doubt.

Any and all help would be welcomed with open arms. *ahem, Carlos Boozer's an unrestricted free agent next year, ahem*
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #15
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:

And maybe if we were winning 50 games we'd have more people posting here? Me, catz, and jbot have been putting in legit replies to every response made by outsiders with real questions, see the "why are we so disrespected" thread.

The OP isn't about getting a #1 option type star to get us to contender level or anything near that, it's simply about making us recognizable. The NBA is all about marketing individual talents now, I don't see how you can expand upon the original post's line of reasoning. Of course getting a guy who throws down crazy dunks and puts up 30ppg is going to sell jerseys.

I agree with what you've said in regards to obtaining this mythical #1 player. However, you're contorting the post into something it isn't, which is something like I just mentioned.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: