Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #16
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Anyone remember Donavan Bailey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
So true about Ben Johnson. Did anyone see the episode of Cabbie on the Street when he randomly ran into Ben Johnson in like Cuba or something on the beach. Pretty funny.

Cabbie is awsome.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I think it was just a prime time made up even just for that showdown. It was actually a 150m race, to be halfway between their specialties. It was awesome.
Yeah that's what it was. I have vid of the actual race linked in my first post.

Wiki's account:
Quote:
Proving Himself the World's Fastest Man
Main article: Bailey-Johnson 150-metre race
In June 1997, he raced against Michael Johnson in a 150 m race at Toronto's SkyDome in a bid to truly determine who was the world's fastest man. Earlier that year, Johnson began performing television promotions in which he billed himself as "the world's fastest man" as a result of his 200 meters world record, despite the fact that the 100 metres world record holders are traditionally given that unofficial title. Bailey initially refused to take part, stating that "the world's fastest man was decided in Atlanta".

Bailey won $1.5 million for winning the race, in which Johnson pulled up around the 100 m mark with an injured quadriceps muscle which many believed he faked. Fans at the event booed Johnson for what appeared dropping out while Bailey was ahead of him past the 100 meter mark.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Yeah that's what it was. I have vid of the actual race linked in my first post.

Wiki's account:

Nice! I loved that race at the time and is great to watch now. Bailey was killing him.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
So true about Ben Johnson. Did anyone see the episode of Cabbie on the Street when he randomly ran into Ben Johnson in like Cuba or something on the beach. Pretty funny.
Haha..that's the one where Ben was wearing that speedo..too funny.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #20
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Too_Cool has an OK reputation so far

Oh yeah, Donovan is the man. Pretty much a Canadian hero. And lol, ya Johnson is such a bitcch..
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #21
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

I get a kick out of the Americans broadcasts, they said that Bolt was the greatest 100m sprinter since Carl Lewis. I would argue that if Bailey was a yank they'd be saying he was.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
I get a kick out of the Americans broadcasts, they said that Bolt was the greatest 100m sprinter since Carl Lewis. I would argue that if Bailey was a yank they'd be saying he was.

Perhaps....they said just the 100M? Or did they say greatest 'sprinter'? If 100M then yes that is bogus....but Lewis is often thought of as the greatest sprinter ever (sprint double)....until now.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 metres.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said.

The International Olympic Committee chief hailed Bolt's stunning achievements in the two sprints, comparing him to American great Jesse Owens, but said Bolt should have cut out the look-at-me flaunting and acknowledged the other athletes.

"I have no problem with him doing a show," Rogge said in an interview with three international news agency reporters. "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 metres."

Having built a huge lead in Saturday's 100 final, Bolt slowed, glanced around with arms outstretched and pounded his chest before crossing the finish line in a world record time of 9.69 seconds.

"I understand the joy," Rogge said. "He might have interpreted that in another way, but the way it was perceived was, 'Catch me if you can.' You don't do that. But he'll learn. He's still a young man."

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id...headlines_main
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #24
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Quote:
Perhaps....they said just the 100M? Or did they say greatest 'sprinter'? If 100M then yes that is bogus....but Lewis is often thought of as the greatest sprinter ever (sprint double)....until now.

True, i suppose I could have pulled a Roger and Misheard it.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #25
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

I was in St Mary's for the Baseball Hall of Fame golf tournament about 4 years back and we were paired up with Donavan Bailey. As previously stated he is a very goog guy, funny and down to earth. Anyway as the day goes on we started drinking a little heavier, and Donovan is no slouch. We are at one of our latter holes and the first guy up duff's his tee shot and throws his club. Well so does the next person who promptly throws his club, and I put mine in the water and throw my club. Now Donovan is not a golfer and duffs his shot to. Well he's a celebrity and lot's of people watching and he goes to put his club away. We all start in on him and he throws his club like the rest of us, much to the delight of the crowd.

We had such a good time golfing that Donavan moved the name tags around from the dinner tables to sit with us. Lot's more drinking going on and many good laughs until, Peter, drunk as a skunk get's up and takes a couple of those, I don't need anymore steps, and say's who want's another round. Well, Donovan and I are talking and don't respond so Peter hollers out "hey Ben do you want a beer".

Everybody heard this and Donavan looks at him, anger in his voice and face and say's "Ben! Ben!". Donovan is so pissed off that within a minute he was gone, not only from our table but gone for the night.

We had all had to many to drinks, and yes we all stayed the night at Peters place, but god was that funny. And Peter, well he'll be famous for that line, forever I think.

Last edited by b4ball : 08-22-2008 at 01:42 AM.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: