Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
NY Comeback
Banned

Default Why Was Kyle Korver Traded?

Looking at Philly's current roster, it was obvious that some outside shooting is needed, which made me think, why was Korver let go? Korver would be the perfect 6th Man for you guys; one the best pure shooters in the league. If I remember correctly, Korver was traded straight up for Giricek? What was the intention behind this trade? Did Korver have a ridiculous contract or something? He's looking like someone Philly could definitely use now.
NY Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: Why Was Kyle Korver Traded?

Because had he not been traded, we wouldn't have the expiring contract in Gordan Giricek (4 mil a year), and therefore wouldn't have the cap space to sign Elton Brand.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

And we got a future first rounder from the Jazz in that deal too. It was later traded to the T'Wolves in the Rodney Carney deal.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

and also gave thaddeus young playing time young>korver
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
NY Comeback
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Because had he not been traded, we wouldn't have the expiring contract in Gordan Giricek (4 mil a year), and therefore wouldn't have the cap space to sign Elton Brand.
Oh okay, makes since. Thanks for clearing that up.

But are you guys looking to sign a free agent that can shoot? Or are you guys done now?
NY Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Comeback
Oh okay, makes since. Thanks for clearing that up.

But are you guys looking to sign a free agent that can shoot? Or are you guys done now?
We signed Kareem Rush. Rumors out there about Donyell Marshall. But besides that we can only offer the minimum so who knows.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
and also gave thaddeus young playing time young>korver
that too
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Heretik32
Myrrh

Quote:
We signed Kareem Rush. Rumors out there about Donyell Marshall. But besides that we can only offer the minimum so who knows.

That guy's still in the league? Jesus
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Venja42
Decent playground baller

I wish we convinced Utah to take Willie Green instead . . .
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretik32
That guy's still in the league? Jesus
He's 35. Won't be 36 until playoff time. He's old, but not grandpa old. Last year was a bad year for him (only 26 games played) but the year before he was still gettin 7 ppg and dropped 95 threes.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Comeback
Looking at Philly's current roster, it was obvious that some outside shooting is needed, which made me think, why was Korver let go? Korver would be the perfect 6th Man for you guys; one the best pure shooters in the league. If I remember correctly, Korver was traded straight up for Giricek? What was the intention behind this trade? Did Korver have a ridiculous contract or something? He's looking like someone Philly could definitely use now.
Correction Giricek and a future 1st round pick.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Donyell Marshall wouldnt be a bad signing, but my issue? Playing time. I dont see adding him working out with the current team personally. Still mad I'm too lazy again to brush up/educate myself on how NBA-NBDL works because I still wanna add some young talent and send them down. Pick up 1 maybe 2 guys then send them down to the NBDL. Much like baseball does with young talent that needs to be developed. Then by seasons end get some assessment on them. But again, unsure how this works. Probably rules I dont know about.

But as of now? Our roster seems set from top to bottom. I see some 3 guard offense working out.

I posted an article (i think/i hope) where Jim Obrien spoke about Kareem Rush and how he improved. And everyone knows Jim loves the 3 ball, but that wasnt what Jim spoke highly of, he said defense is what gets you playing time. And Rush improved his perimeter defense.

So we'll see. Excited about the season.

Quote:
And we got a future first rounder from the Jazz in that deal too. It was later traded to the T'Wolves in the Rodney Carney deal.

Which helped clear even more cap room to land Brand.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
big baller
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Donyell Marshall wouldnt be a bad signing, but my issue? Playing time. I dont see adding him working out with the current team personally. Still mad I'm too lazy again to brush up/educate myself on how NBA-NBDL works because I still wanna add some young talent and send them down. Pick up 1 maybe 2 guys then send them down to the NBDL. Much like baseball does with young talent that needs to be developed. Then by seasons end get some assessment on them. But again, unsure how this works. Probably rules I dont know about.

But as of now? Our roster seems set from top to bottom. I see some 3 guard offense working out.

I posted an article (i think/i hope) where Jim Obrien spoke about Kareem Rush and how he improved. And everyone knows Jim loves the 3 ball, but that wasnt what Jim spoke highly of, he said defense is what gets you playing time. And Rush improved his perimeter defense.

damn child, u got a lot of posts!!!!!! nice job.

big baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

I think it doesn't happen because players won't want to be picked up by a team just to play where they already are. Then they're rights are owned yet they are still a NBDL player. No options of which team to go to. I don't think they get the NBA salary either. Or maybe teams don't want to pay them NBA salary just to send them down there and not play them. I don't know.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: