Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Does AI need to become the mature leader and play the 1

Iverson needs to become the full time point guard IMO.

AI
JR
Melo
Martin
Nene

Kleiza
Atkins
Anderson
Hunter

AI needs to take control of the offense, mature as a player, and run the plays to get an good spread of points. Be the leader he is capable of being from the point guard position.

He has to SACRIFICE to win this year... thoughts??
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Geandily
Local High School Star

Default Re: Does AI need to become the mature leader and play the 1

We had an amazing win/loss ratio when AI had 10 or more assists, how that doesn't translate into Karl moving him to Point Guard is beyond me

AI
JR
Melo
KMart
Nene

is the lineup I wanted all year long, just like you said.

I wouldn't consider it a "sacrifice" to play at the point, but yes I agree with you. For us to win we'll need AI at the 1 and JR at the 2, if for nothing else than to get JR, AI and Melo out on the floor at the same time which didn't happen nearly as often as it should have last season.
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

I'd love to see AI move to the 1..AI played the 1 in Philly and he averaged 8 asts..but George Karl's mancrush AC is there so it wont happen
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

the chances of that happening are very slim- i think he could, just wont

defending the other teams gaurd, handling the ball, and setting up teammates would take up to much energy & selflessness- there is now way that he could get his points and play 40 some minutes a game doing the job of a point gaurd

great idea, but not realistic
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

He pretty much is our 1 regardless, just not officially/player profile-wise. He averaged a lot more assists than AC and got way better looks than AC ever could.

If he played the 1 like he currently plays the 2, he could average 10+ assists easy. But a born scorer like that can't just stop shooting automatically. If he took 7-8 shots less and spent that time setting up the offense, we'd be amazingly improved over last season.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
idizzle
Good college starter

I kind of agree with that. Look how Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG were all 20pt scorers and they sacrificed their stats win the NBA Championship. I think if A.I just let his scoring dip a bit and pass more the Nuggtes might can do some real damage. I'm not saying he could be Steve Nash but if he can make his other team members better they can get out of the first round.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

It would make the starting lineup better scoring wise, but I think some coaches like some scoring off the bench... it brings that freshness that you would lack otherwise. When your starter's offense is getting stale,you need some substitutes that can give you that "instant offense", give them a spark. JR and Kleiza fit that description.

Anthony Carter plays really, really well for a guy making the veteran minimum. I don't see a problem with him at the starting position. The team as a general just needs to work on their defense. They need some desperate help on player rotation. They always leave guys wide open for threes when playing the Lakers. They also get killed by the teams that use the pick and roll sucessfully (NO, SA, UT). AI in the starting lineup at point guard is not going to help the team defensively.

Their bench is also weak defensively. They should have gone after Ratliff as their backup center. He only signed for a little over veteran minumum. Just like I said earlier about instant offense, there's nobody off the bench that comes in and gives them instant defense or makes hustle plays... like a James Posey or Jason Maxiell.

Last edited by beasted86 : 08-22-2008 at 06:00 PM.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
in the starting lineup at point guard is not going to help the team defensively.
I disagree. He would face a lot more players of his size, and players that he's as quick as, if not quicker. Granted the elite PG's would probably just make him look like he's never played a game before, but there's only a small few of them.

But also +1 on their rotation, it's just awful. If they just rotated on time, their defense would be way better than previous seasons, but that's just the start of their defensive woes.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: