Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation
Default Toronto speaks to Charlotte about Brevin Knight

Quote:
Charlotte Observer - Both the Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers , amongst other teams, have been talking with Charlotte Bobcats ' coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff about point guard Brevin Knight at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp, the Charlotte Observer is reporting.

"There's a lot of interest in Brevin," Bickerstaff told the Observer on Thursday. "Most of the conversation includes him.''

Knight is considered expendable with the emergence of last season's lottery pick Raymond Felton.

"If I'm going to play just a little bit of minutes, I'd rather be on a playoff team," Knight said during the season. "So if (the situation) changes, we'd address that."

Bickerstaff did say that Knight will be able to have some input on any trade, but will not be given the power to veto a deal should one arise.

"He doesn't have veto power," Bickerstaff said. "But I wouldn't just throw him in a situation that wouldn't be right for his skills."

Portland is talking to Charlotte about Brevin too..but who cares, this is the Raptors forum.

Anyways, what do you guys think it will take to get Brevin Knight.

I for one, wouldnt mind Brevin on our team.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I've seen it somewhere else on the forum, somebody suggested #1 for #3 and Brevin Knight. I'm actually not so sure Charlotte would go for that though because it seems they want either Rudy Gay or Adam Morrison, and if the draft order stays the same they are likely to still have both to pick from.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

I'd do that trade, but charlotte never would. Any player they want will be available at 3.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Acquiring a steady, pass first point guard like Brevin Knight would be absolutely ideal at this point for the Toronto Raptors. It would let Calderon and possibly Ukic develop, and would dismiss our great need for a PG, allowing us to look for big men exclusively at the time being. Of course, we will still need a real franchise point guard down the road, but it dismisses the desperate need for one right now.

However, I wouldn't want to give up too much in order to acquire him, I would be willing to move down in the draft, but I wouldn't want to have to sacrifice any of our core group in order to get him. I have absolute trust in Bryan Colangelo, and know that he will do the smart thing though.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Yeah Colangelo is the guy to trust. Just look at the Hoffa trade, and his time with the Suns. He'll make something work sooner or later.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Trading a core player for short-term pacification is a no-no.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Yeah Colangelo is the guy to trust. Just look at the Hoffa trade, and his time with the Suns. He'll make something work sooner or later.

Exactly, that is the reason why I am not at all nervous about the offseason. In the past, I have been worried about what the prior GMs may do or mess up. I would actually cringe if I had heard we made a trade or a move, now I actually feel like welcoming the deals and signings because I believe that Colangelo will get a good deal 90% of the time, the guy is a great basketball mind and I have ultimate confidence he will lead the Raptors back to the playoffs very soon.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

When he first came over, I was disappointed that it wasn't his father, whom I thought was the one responsible for the suns success over the last few years. I thought bryan was just, you know, his son. Now, I'm glad we got bryan, not his dad.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
When he first came over, I was disappointed that it wasn't his father, whom I thought was the one responsible for the suns success over the last few years. I thought bryan was just, you know, his son. Now, I'm glad we got bryan, not his dad.

I believe that it was the father too, whom helped make the Suns, but I also believe that Bryan Colangelo had a major say in what happened with that team, and was just as big a contributer to the foundation of that team. Even if he wasn't the final decision maker, he still learned a lot and would be able to bring that experience and knowledge to the Raptors.

I still feel like Colangelo is a brilliant basketball mind who will have all Raptor fans thoroughly impressed with his decision making and trading skills.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

His dad was probably the more dominant mind behind the Suns, but I think in the past few years Bryan had a more powereful role and he was the sole reason for a lot of the moves. Nevertheless, both men have great basketball minds, and even if it was Jerry who made all the big moves, Bryan has learned from the best and has it in his blood.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: