Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 08-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default why JR should start at PG

jr smith should replace anthony carter as starting point gaurd of the denver nuggets- he is BY FAR the best option currently available

+ jr would have half as many or fewer defensive mismatches than ac

+ both carmelo & ai suck the defense into the lane and create the opportnity for kick out passes for wide open 3's- why would you not want your best shooter in those spots for those shots as much as possible?

+ atleast one and some times 2 or 3 of the nugs 3 perimiter players would offensively have just an unbelievable mismatch- no team has 3 defenders that could handle that- with ac the other team always gets to have one of ther players (usually their top scorer) a complete night off defensivley to rest and have more on O- no nights off for anyone with jr

+ starting jr allows a sometims needed quick hook from the game without sacraficing entire qaurters and halfs with no jr impact-

- jr's minutes would likely be dictated by foul problems- so why not deal with the foul problem when it happens instead of planning for it?

- the main concern for me is ball handling and turnover concerns but with the froncourt depth chart this team has, the team has absolutly zero chance to be a second rd or better team- so why not let him practice handling more while he waits to take the next step in his role in he organization?
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: why JR should start at PG

You mention all these pros, but no cons. JR is not a passer. He is strictly shoot first, he's the guy you swing the ball to for the open J or to drive to the lane. The last thing the nuggets need is a score-first PG. I'd like to think it could work out in the same way Gilbert works for the wizards, but it's just not realistic.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

but then who'll come off the bench as the 2. AC and Atkins are too short/small and kleiza and balkman are gonna be backup forwards right?
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
but then who'll come off the bench as the 2. AC and Atkins are too short/small and kleiza and balkman are gonna be backup forwards right?

No one
Actually we have sonny weems
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Another good point.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Mile High Crew
In Billups We Trust

Mile High Crew has an OK reputation so far

I AGREE with CaptainOwlClub on this one because of the reasons he pointed out.

There is one thing that many don't know about Jr is that, yes he wants to shoot first before he passes, but you can't put a price on a 6'6" pg who can drive through the lane and have the defensive collapse inside, to give shooter like A.I., Melo, and Kleiza open shots. He has done that many times last season especially when he was playing well late last season, don't tell me he doesn't pass because he does. The problem is KARL won't coach him up to think as a pass first type of player. If you saw any of the last 10 or so games last year then you know what i'm talking about.

On the question of who will play the two off the bench, is going to have to be Weems. You may laugh at this, but it's true I've watched this guy play in college and can easily become A.I.'s backup. Not to mention Weems great defensive ability along with great height. WE WON'T HAVE THE SMALLEST BACK COURT ANYMORE IF WEEMS PLAY ALONGSIDE JR!

Kleiza can also play the two as well, it's just a matter of matching up with the other team and having chemistry. Last year we had a lineup of
pg-A.I.
sg-Kleiza
sm-Melo
pf-martin
c-camby
out on the floor at the same time, so you'll never know what the mix and matches will be, especially this year.
Mile High Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

The Nuggets are pretty good offensively... its defense where they need help. Whether JR starts or not, that only helps offense.

As it is they have no bench defenders. Their starting lineup isn't the greatest defensively either, especially after trading Camby away. They have nobody on the perimeter who plays smart enough to make the rotation and take away the wide open 3. They are undersized at the shooting guard because of Iverson and Melo is too big to chase down quicker combo guards and this is why he sometimes gets into foul trouble.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Mile High Crew
In Billups We Trust

Mile High Crew has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

I think many are forgetting about Dahntay Jones, and Sonny Weems.
Mile High Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't trust JR enough to start at point. He's shown he can dribble and handle the rock but he hasn't shown he can create for others on a consistent basis or make several unselfish plays in a row. He has the body to play some point, but I'm not too sure I would want him to as a starter. But even if he did play point, he wouldn't be playing stereotypically though. He would be pushing the tempo and putting up points whether it be his own or handing out assists. I wouldn't mind this lineup if AI and Carter were on the bench though.

G - Smith
G - Kleiza
F - Melo
F - Martin
C - Nene

That's a physically massive lineup.

Last edited by Richie2k6 : 08-26-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

serioulsy...Dahnty Jones is a really good player...kid got skillz
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
serioulsy...Dahnty Jones is a really good player...kid got skillz

He's like the 12th man on our team..Back up for Kleiz I think
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If the Nuggets want to start a shoot-first shooting guard at the point, they should start Iverson there. That sure has worked.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

I think you guys need to put AI at PG for no other reason than he likes to have the ball at all times, can penetrate at will and is a very capable passer when he wants to be. At the 2, AI still dominates the ball but creates defensive mismatches (bad ones) when you try to pair him with Atkins or Carter.

Really, IMO your best line-up is:

AI
JR
Melo
K-Mart
Nene

and you guys just have to hope that Nene has a big year and that the team both indvidually and collectively play their arses off on defense.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Really, IMO your best line-up is:

AI
JR
Melo
K-Mart
Nene
I think all we can do now is wait and hope that GK tries this lineup to start at least 5-10 games.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
meloshow
Can barely lace up my sneakers

meloshow has an OK reputation so far

JR doesn't have great lateral quickness on defense which would be a mismatch in itself. Imagine him trying to defend the Chris Paul's and Deron Williams' of the league? It would be embarrasing for an already embarrasing defensive team.

JR is the purest of pure SG's and I don't think we should experiment with someone as unpredictable as Smith and leave the Pg duties to Atkins and AC.
meloshow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: