Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default Re: why JR should start at PG

Hey Denver.

I wouldn't play JR at point. Sure, he gives you some great mismatches on the offensive side of the ball, but imo the nuggets have better scoring options than Smith. If he is touching the ball that often, he will either take too many shots or lose his killer instict by not taking the shots he ussually does.

Defensively, it would be great if he could switch with AI, but I don't think either of them should be left in the backcourt without a strong defensive guard to go with them.

Starting JR at point means more shots for JR...which then mean fewer shots for someone else (I wouldn't take any from AI or Melo personally).
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #17
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

KRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloshow
JR doesn't have great lateral quickness on defense which would be a mismatch in itself. Imagine him trying to defend the Chris Paul's and Deron Williams' of the league? It would be embarrasing for an already embarrasing defensive team.

JR is the purest of pure SG's and I don't think we should experiment with someone as unpredictable as Smith and leave the Pg duties to Atkins and AC.
The thought of Chucky Atkins starting at the pg scares the sh*t out of me, especially with a team like Denver. The last thing we need is a(another) shoot 1st point guard taking shots away from both AI and Melo. Not to mention he is undersized and isn't a good defender either. Which is why AC, who may not be the best, is the most obvious choice when it comes to the pg situation for Denver.
On the other hand, as some of you've already stated, I wouldn't mind seeing Iverson move to the point and J.R. start at the 2, which makes alot more sense than having J.R. start at the point.

Last edited by KRAYZIE : 09-20-2008 at 01:36 AM.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

JR smith needs to be in the starting five...but not necessarily as point guard. I'll admit that he impressed me a little bit last year in regards to ball distribution. there were plenty of times when melo was on the bench and the offense ran primarily through JR. JR was more than capable of taking his man off the dribble to the basket...and unselfishly finding the open man if he drew the extra defender. what's so exciting is that he is a really versatile offensive player. not only can he play a catch-and-shoot off-ball role in an offense...he can also be relied on as the primary playmaker, get to the basket, and simply make plays.

I don't necessarily think that JR has to start at the point guard position. it became blatantly evident to me last year that AI had two distinct mindsets throughout the game. whenever our starters were on the floor (carter, melo, kmart, camby - worst cast of off-ball shooters in teh NBA), AI was disruptive and dribbled the ball excessively. when our shooters came into the game off the bench (smith, najera, klieza)...AI became a lot more passive in the offensive, giving room for JR to create, strictly driving to create open perimeter shots for teammates, etc. I would venture to say that having JR start as the shooting guard would change AI's mindset.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

I'm just bumping this to show everyone why JR should NOT start at PG. For examples, watch the golden state game.

Overdribbles, way too many turnovers, he is NOT a pg whatsoever.

This game is SLOPPY. Absolutely awful, if they pull out a W it will be a miracle.

Chauncey Billups will be the best thing to ever happen to this team.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: