Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #31
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star
 
Buffalobraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wide Right City
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
that is funny- if ibaka (the pf) develops you take another pf?- if your pf doesnt develop you go c?? or are you thinking ibaka is a c?




Serge Ibaka: 24th overall pick in the 2008 draft, chosen by Oklahoma City.







Birthday:9/18/1989
NBA Position:PF/C
Class:N/A
Ht:6-10
Wt:220
Int Team:LHospitalet
Hometown:Congo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6opHOfJJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOqf...eature=related


Looks like he can play Center to me. He actually looks strong in the picture with his shirt off.

Last edited by Buffalobraves : 08-31-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Buffalobraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #32
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Veilside, I agree that Memphis has a lot of bigs. Maybe Arthur becomes a really good PF. Warrick is an average PF, Darko is average, and Gasol may be decent. They have a lot of guys, but are any of those starters on good teams? If Marc ends up better than Pau then they don't go with a C, or if Arthur is a top player in his class then they don't go with a PG, but they are also in the playoffs and picking much lower. You are right though, everything will depend on how all these bigs pan out.

CaptainOwl, I consider Daye to be a SF, and that is why he wasn't in my ranking. I think Daye will end up being able to play some PF assuming he packs on some pounds, but I think at 6-10 and with that shot you want him being a more of a SF. He is so full of potential, but he has a few holes that he needs to work on. I think of him as like an offensive version of what Josh Smith is on defense. Smith is more of a SF, but plays PF because that is what the Hawks need him to do. Daye should become a very good combo-forward if he reaches his potential.

I also want to see Curry play the point before I call him a true PG. My thinking was that Denver has gone with a mix of AI and Carter so a true point like Collison who can step in right away (which is important for a team looking to win right now) and has the skillset of a PG is what they would look for. Curry had one of the best points in the country the last couple years and some may say Curry was the reason Richards was so good, but I think they just fit together really well. If Curry takes over the point full-time this year, we will see how he handles running a team. I'm not saying he can't run a team, we just haven't seen it while we have seen Collison do it over and over. Curry is the guy who could move way up (some people already see him this high) to the lottery or fall into the 2nd round depending on how he does running the point.

I really like Calathes, but he isn't as athletic as Rubio. Rubio is exactly Chris Paul, but he is solid and is really quick and crafty with the ball. I don't think he needs to a top notch athlete, but he is good enough for an NBA point. Calathas isn't nearly as athletic as the rest of the top guards. I think he is already solid in so many aspects with room to improve as a shooter (like Rubio). Of course bing 6-5 gives him a big advantage, but I'm not sure if he will be better than someone like Reece Gaines or is he can overcome his quickness and size (strength wise) he could be a pretty decent player. Athletically I think Rubio is above average and it won't hold him back, with Calathas I think it will be a major issue and will probably keep him from being a really great point because he has the tools to be a good starting PG.

Buffalo, I will put up my other position rankings sometime soon.

Last edited by monthh : 09-03-2008 at 12:47 AM.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #33
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Small Forwards:
1. Austin Daye-Gonzaga
2. Damion James-Texas (could fall hard)
3. Al-Faroug Aminu-Arizona
4. Earl Clark-Louisville
5. Tyler Smith-Tennessee
6. Derrick Brown-Xavier
7. James Johnson-Wake Forest
8. Raymar Morgan-Michingan State
9. Kyle Singler-Duke
10. Devin Ebanks-West Virginia

Shooting Guards:
1. Demar DeRozan-USC
2. James Harden-Arizona State
3. Chase Budinger-Arizona
4. Jrue Holiday-UCLA
5. James Anderson-Oklahoma State
6. Lester Hudson-Tennessee-Martin
7. Gerald Henderson-Duke
8. Wayne Ellington-UNC
9. Tyreke Evans-Memphis
10. Scotty Hopson-Tennessee

Point Gaurds:
1. Darren Collison-UCLA
2. Stephen Curry-Davidson
3. Ty Lawson-UNC
4. Nick Calathas-Florida
5. Tyrese Rice-Boston College
6. Grievis Vasquez-Maryland
7. Eric Maynor-VCU
8. AJ Price-UConn
9. Deonta Vaughn-Cincinnati
10. Malcom Lee-UCLA

PG this year are really closely clumped. I think after the top like 6 or 7 (who I think are at least 2nd round picks right now) there is a long list of guys that are right there in Scottie Reynolds, Serron Collins, Curtis Jerrells, Jeremy Pargo, Jerel McNeal, Johnny Flynn, Manny Harris, and more. I would call all of these guys bubble 2nd rounders.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #34
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 233
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
-gordon 6-9 ucla- day 1 will be a much better player than either arizona schools f's

Drew Mother effin Gordon. This guy is a beast. Plays like A Maxiell type, I definatly think he's gonna turn a lot of heads at UCLA. Offensively in the post he's a bit unpolished but dude is a freak. Imagine if a guy like that had the skill set of Kevin Love... I dont know what to think. Big Ups for givin this kid some recognition though
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #35
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprizzle14
Drew Mother effin Gordon. This guy is a beast. Plays like A Maxiell type, I definatly think he's gonna turn a lot of heads at UCLA. Offensively in the post he's a bit unpolished but dude is a freak. Imagine if a guy like that had the skill set of Kevin Love... I dont know what to think. Big Ups for givin this kid some recognition though
You want Maxiell's clone? Look right to his alma mater, Cincinatti. Yancy Gates, 6'8" 250, #22 player in the class. Dude is a beast on the boards and a Kenyon Martin-like power dunker.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #36
Blackeagle
I hit open layups
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 67
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Point Gaurds:
1. Darren Collison-UCLA
2. Stephen Curry-Davidson
3. Ty Lawson-UNC
4. Nick Calathas-Florida
5. Tyrese Rice-Boston College
6. Grievis Vasquez-Maryland
7. Eric Maynor-VCU
8. AJ Price-UConn
9. Deonta Vaughn-Cincinnati
10. Malcom Lee-UCLA

PG this year are really closely clumped. I think after the top like 6 or 7 (who I think are at least 2nd round picks right now) there is a long list of guys that are right there in Scottie Reynolds, Serron Collins, Curtis Jerrells, Jeremy Pargo, Jerel McNeal, Johnny Flynn, Manny Harris, and more. I would call all of these guys bubble 2nd rounders.

I'd move Johnny Flynn up to at least 9, probably higher if you're looking at pro potential

and I love the way Scottie Reynolds plays. He made that 12-5 upset an easy pick in last year's tourney. I don't know that based on pro potential you can move him up too high, but if I need to win 1 game in the tourney in march, he's competing for #1 on my list of point guards.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #37
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 233
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
You want Maxiell's clone? Look right to his alma mater, Cincinatti. Yancy Gates, 6'8" 250, #22 player in the class. Dude is a beast on the boards and a Kenyon Martin-like power dunker.
Yeaa Gates is a good prospect

but im rooting for Gordon because I watched him play the last 3 years and hes just a game changer who may be starting for the Bruins next year if not a big rotational player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNVS7dBvDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVPF...eature=related

only time will tell who will be more successful.
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #38
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Blackeagle, I'll admit I really haven't seen Flynn much, but to me he is undersized and seemed like a bit of a chucker. His shooting numbers look pretty good, but I just didn't like what I saw the couple times I saw him. Maybe that will change this year and he could move up.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star
 
Buffalobraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wide Right City
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
I'd move Johnny Flynn up to at least 9, probably higher if you're looking at pro potential

and I love the way Scottie Reynolds plays. He made that 12-5 upset an easy pick in last year's tourney. I don't know that based on pro potential you can move him up too high, but if I need to win 1 game in the tourney in march, he's competing for #1 on my list of point guards.
Agree with moving up Flynn.
Buffalobraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #40
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3589671
Quote:
ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- UNC Asheville's Kenny George, at 7-foot-7 the nation's tallest college basketball player, might not play this season because of a foot injury.

George had two surgical procedures on an infected right foot and remains in a Chicago hospital, the school said. The senior is not expected to return to school this semester.

Coach Eddie Biedenbach said George first felt discomfort last month during a camp in Las Vegas. When he returned to his native Chicago, a doctor recommended immediate surgery.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #41
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

If Kenny ever makes the NBA it is clear he isn't going to be a everyday player. He might be useful to play a few minutes here and there in the right situation, but he won't stay healthy enough or in shape enough to play more than a few trips up and down the court. In college he can get away with it, but the speed and strength of NBA big men is going to kill him.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #42
disco
Great young streetballer
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 467
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Small Forwards:
1. Austin Daye-Gonzaga
2. Damion James-Texas (could fall hard)
3. Al-Faroug Aminu-Arizona
4. Earl Clark-Louisville
5. Tyler Smith-Tennessee
6. Derrick Brown-Xavier
7. James Johnson-Wake Forest
8. Raymar Morgan-Michingan State
9. Kyle Singler-Duke
10. Devin Ebanks-West Virginia

Shooting Guards:
1. Demar DeRozan-USC
2. James Harden-Arizona State
3. Chase Budinger-Arizona
4. Jrue Holiday-UCLA
5. James Anderson-Oklahoma State
6. Lester Hudson-Tennessee-Martin
7. Gerald Henderson-Duke
8. Wayne Ellington-UNC
9. Tyreke Evans-Memphis
10. Scotty Hopson-Tennessee

Point Gaurds:
1. Darren Collison-UCLA
2. Stephen Curry-Davidson
3. Ty Lawson-UNC
4. Nick Calathas-Florida
5. Tyrese Rice-Boston College
6. Grievis Vasquez-Maryland
7. Eric Maynor-VCU
8. AJ Price-UConn
9. Deonta Vaughn-Cincinnati
10. Malcom Lee-UCLA

PG this year are really closely clumped. I think after the top like 6 or 7 (who I think are at least 2nd round picks right now) there is a long list of guys that are right there in Scottie Reynolds, Serron Collins, Curtis Jerrells, Jeremy Pargo, Jerel McNeal, Johnny Flynn, Manny Harris, and more. I would call all of these guys bubble 2nd rounders.

Do you list these based on college position or likely NBA position? I think it should be either or. If McNeal and Harris are point guards, then Hudson should also be a point guard.

But good lists, I can't argue. Isn't Aminu going to Waker Forest (not Arizona)
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #43
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

I do NBA positions, but I usually break them down into combo-guards as well. To me Hudson will be a combo-guard, but I think at 6-3 he will be tall enough to do what he does best, and that is score.

To me Harris and McNeal are young enough to learn the point. With young players I tend to think they will improve and get stronger at their weakness'. If NcNeal and Harris were going to be Seniors then it would be very different.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #44
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Someone I think everyone should look out for is Yancy Gates, freshman at Cincinnatti. He doesn't necessarily have star potential but could put up big numbers as a freshman and fits the Big East perfectly. Fits the Kenyon Martin/Jason Maxiell power forward type that's come from Cincinatti. Jason Maxiell is actually who I would compare him to.

Power is the first thing that comes to mind with this guy. 6'8" 250 and looks like he wants to break the rim every time he dunks. #22 player of his class, #7 power forward.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #45
disco
Great young streetballer
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 467
Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Someone I think everyone should look out for is Yancy Gates, freshman at Cincinnatti. He doesn't necessarily have star potential but could put up big numbers as a freshman and fits the Big East perfectly. Fits the Kenyon Martin/Jason Maxiell power forward type that's come from Cincinatti. Jason Maxiell is actually who I would compare him to.

Power is the first thing that comes to mind with this guy. 6'8" 250 and looks like he wants to break the rim every time he dunks. #22 player of his class, #7 power forward.

I haven't seen the guy play, but from what I've read I think he should be a solid college PF and very good fit for Big East. Will be interesting to see him play against Louisville's Samuels.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy