Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 08-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Ricky Rubio?

If we end up withthe #1 pick do you think we should go for Ricky Rubio?

& package Conley to get a solid PF.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Default Re: Ricky Rubio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
If we end up withthe #1 pick do you think we should go for Ricky Rubio?

& package Conley to get a solid PF.

That would be sweeet... Marc and Ricky togeda.. nice...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Rubio will probably not put his name in next year's draft.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Whether Rubio puts his name into the draft or not, we will not get the number 1 pick. Even if we had the worst record and had the best chance of getting the number 1 pick, we still would never get it.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

I probably wouldnt draft rubio with the top pick anyways. The kid has alot to learn. He has no defensive skills besides playing the passing lanes. Maybe in two years he will be a more complete player.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Man you got to be kidding me. Rubio as the number one pick comeon bro. If im drafting next years draft I easily take mullens of thabeet.
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I probably wouldnt draft rubio with the top pick anyways. The kid has alot to learn. He has no defensive skills besides playing the passing lanes. Maybe in two years he will be a more complete player.
to say he has no defensive skills is just showing your total ignorance of his game!I dont think ricky rubio will go to the NBA for atleast another 3 or 4 years minimum.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
to say he has no defensive skills is just showing your total ignorance of his game!I dont think ricky rubio will go to the NBA for atleast another 3 or 4 years minimum.

Ignorance of his game? A little worked up there are we? Rubio plays defense with his hands. He has lazy feet. He was roultinely beaten off the dribble. Then he would the the wrap around steal tactic. Which worked ocasionally. At his current level he wouldnt get drafted in the first 40 picks. I think your overrating the guy because you like his style of play.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Ignorance of his game? A little worked up there are we? Rubio plays defense with his hands. He has lazy feet. He was roultinely beaten off the dribble. Then he would the the wrap around steal tactic. Which worked ocasionally. At his current level he wouldnt get drafted in the first 40 picks. I think your overrating the guy because you like his style of play.
You're only viewing of Rubio comes from 2 games against Team USA which featured the top 2 PG's in the World in Olympic Basketball.
How Rubio would play in a NBA game should not be judged off of FIBA games.

Against everyone else Ricky's defense was quite impressive when you take in that he's just 17 and his body has filled in yet.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
You're only viewing of Rubio comes from 2 games against Team USA which featured the top 2 PG's in the World in Olympic Basketball.
How Rubio would play in a NBA game should not be judged off of FIBA games.

Against everyone else Ricky's defense was quite impressive when you take in that he's just 17 and his body has filled in yet.

So we shouldnt judge this kid off how he plays against good competition? Yeah so we should soley judge him when he plays bums and teams like angola. He is a kid. Plain and simple. Yo man this thread was about should we draft him first. And there is no way I would take this kid first. Ever I dont care what year the draft is held in. He isnt that good.
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled Mayo
So we shouldnt judge this kid off how he plays against good competition? Yeah so we should soley judge him when he plays bums and teams like angola. He is a kid. Plain and simple. Yo man this thread was about should we draft him first. And there is no way I would take this kid first. Ever I dont care what year the draft is held in. He isnt that good.

The point is to judge with knowledge. You have seen the kid play two times. For instance, would you judge Chris Paul only off how he plays against Deron Williams? He is always outplayed by Deron. Based on that you would never pick Paul. Would it be a fair judgement?

For a kid of 17 years-old, the way he played against USA in the gold medal match is crazy. A don't think any other player of his age could do that. A different thing is if you will pick him for the Grizzlies. With such a weak froncourt, the obvious pick is a big man.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
SpaiN
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Ricky in Memphis? NOOOOOOOOOOOO
SpaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
The point is to judge with knowledge. You have seen the kid play two times. For instance, would you judge Chris Paul only off how he plays against Deron Williams? He is always outplayed by Deron. Based on that you would never pick Paul. Would it be a fair judgement?

For a kid of 17 years-old, the way he played against USA in the gold medal match is crazy. A don't think any other player of his age could do that. A different thing is if you will pick him for the Grizzlies. With such a weak froncourt, the obvious pick is a big man.

Im glad you guys think im an ignorant american that dosent follow any international ball. I have watched every fiba game with spain in it since pau gasol first began playing on the grizzlies. It wasnt just the usa that was driving past him. The guys from greece, china, and lithuania, Even the guys fropm germany gave him problems.

True this is the first time I have gotten to see him play. But at this point I am gonna have to say that he is compareable to luke ridnour. Meaning he has a good first step, can make flashy passes, rebounds ok, can shoot ok, and plays passing lanes well. But im sorry man everything I have read and seen so far points to the fact that he is lacking in the defensive area.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

Now I do agree that for a player of his age and knowledge. That he did play really good in the olympics. Escpecially vs the usa squad.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Frankly, jailer, I don't get how you can think Rubio can shoot ok but he is lacking in the defensive area. Shooting is his worst skill by far (except for free throws). Anyway, my post about fair judgement was referring to Grizzled Mayo's comment, not yours.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: