Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Iguodala says he'll be successful at the 2

Quote:
Andre Iguodala doesn’t see why he can’t successfully move over to shooting guard from small forward for extended stretches this season.

The idea is to get Sixers natural small forward Thaddeus Young onto the court more, now that Elton Brand is expected to handle the bulk of the minutes at power forward.

“It’s basketball,” said Iguodala after Monday’s news conference to announce he’d signed a six-year, $80 million contract. “As a basketball player, positions don’t really matter. If you’re a ‘two’ and a ‘three,’ that’s pretty much the same thing. With any offense, you’re considered a wing more than [a specific position].”

The one concern is that neither Iguodala nor Young are particularly good outside shooters. Iguodala shot 32.9 percent from 3-point land last season —dropping to 14.3 percent in the playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons — while Young hit 31.6 percent of his 3-pointers. The Sixers finished last in the league in 3-point percentage in 2007-08.

Iguodala, whose strengths include his ability to finish on the break, his passing and his versatility, said he’s been putting up as many as 1,000 shots a day this summer in an effort to improve his jumper.

“I don’t think you have to be a great shooter to be effective — you just have to become a good shooter,” Iguodala said. “I think I’m becoming a good shooter. Teams are going to have to pick their poison (with Brand down low).

“Either my points will go up or my assists will go way up (because of Brand) — one of the two are going to go way up. I think with him being on the inside and me being able to penetrate and if they collapse, dishing off to him. He can finish inside or he can knock down a 15- or 18-footer. It’s going to help us become a better unit.”
phillyburbs
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

Default Re: Iguodala says he'll be successful at the 2

he should try to improve his handles as well
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
he should try to improve his handles as well

id be happy with a more consistent jumpshot, it's more than his regular catch and dunk
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

I like him better at the 2 he will be okay at that position. He also showed some signs of improvement on his jump shot at the end of last season. He will be just fine I see no huge concerns. Young will play alot better at his natural position the 3 i'm glad that pf experiment is over.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: