Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 06-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #31
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
*Final Point* Antoine Walker plays for the Heat.

And?
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #32
MavsPoke
High School Varsity 6th Man

MavsPoke has decent reputationMavsPoke has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
And?
It's just a joke. Don't get your panties in a wad Heat fans.

Surely you've seen the 'Toine jokes all year long.

I know Walker can be a very effective player. It's just kinda funny to think that the ultimate chucker could win an NBA championship.
MavsPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:17 AM   #33
Unregistered

I think this series hinges on who plays better, Dirk or Wade.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #34
BFRESH44
College star

Yea, obviously 'Toine is one of the players who is subject to alot of redicule and jokes. I'm just making sure if it sarcasm or people are being serious with all
Antoine Walker is on their team" references. Because dude has been almost vital up this point.. And point blank, the whole post-season, he's been epitomic role player. He's been the portrayed thrid option of what Riley envisioned...

But anyway...

Looking at this series soley from a matchup standpoint. It's going to be interesting.

Dirk is mismtach hell...That's a given

But with Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, Uh I'd day they're pretty much mismatches on Dallas' front as well. Shaq is healthy, ready for battle. You can say the Mavs have big bodies to "contain" him. But you really think Shaq's not going to bring with max effort in his quest for a 4th ring? LOL, He's not going let Erick Dampieer. a player who's he's rediculed a couple times bring him down. Or some dude name Diop either...

And Wade's is going to whatever he wants this series.

It's going to once again come down to the supporting players, and what team dicates their pace and tempo.

The Heat just need to make an effort on closing out on the Mavs shooters.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:28 AM   #35
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Mavs all the way

I have the Mavs in 6.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #36
MavsPoke

Quote:
e's not going let Erick Dampieer. a player who's he's rediculed a couple times bring him down. Or some dude name Diop either...

They are both effective players in the middle. Shaq is better than anyone inside, we all know that. But he won't be guarded by a 6'9 Center in this series. Both are big, strong and like to block shots and rebound. That's all they do. They both have 6 fouls to use on Shaq.

Quote:
And Wade's is going to whatever he wants this series.

Well, now we know your a homer! The Mavs have swingmen and guards that would start for most teams in this league coming off the bench. The Mavs have the best personel in the league to take on Wade. They have the deepest bench at SF, SG, G in the league. Wade will have a fresh rested player on him at all times throughout this series.

Quote:
The Heat just need to make an effort on closing out on the Mavs shooters.

The Heat better worry about keeping the Mavs quick guards and SF's out of the lane getting thier bigs in foul trouble. How do you think they beat the Spurs. The Mavs guards/SF are not jumpshooters, they are quick, atheletic slashers that penetrate and break down the defense to get to the rim.

Heat fans better educate themselves on the Mavs of '06 real quick. Cause so far I don't think ya'll know whats coming at ya!

I know you wan't to dismiss the last 4 games as "just the regular season", but thiers a reason why the Mavs have been a problem for the Heat. The Mavs match up very nicely against them.

It's gonna take phenomanal preformances by Wade and Shaq and meaningfull contributions from Walker, et. al, to beat the Mavericks this year.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 AM   #37
BFRESH44
College star

Quote:
Well, now we know your a homer! The Mavs have swingmen and guards that would start for most teams in this league coming off the bench. The Mavs have the best personel in the league to take on Wade. They have the deepest bench at SF, SG, G in the league. Wade will have a fresh rested player on him at all times throughout this series.

The Mavs do infact has a very deep bench as far as swingman are concerned. But just because they have depth, doesn't mean they have protypical personell defensivly to stop a Dwyane Wade.

Howard most likely will be assigned the task for the majority(It'll be Wake and Marquette battles all over again). But the others? Off the dribble none can stay in front of Dwyane Wade....

The Mavs haven't faced any perimeter player of the caliber of Dwyane Wade in these playoffs.

I'm not all that much of a homer(well yea, actually I am), but I'm just stating facts.

Quote:
The Mavs guards/SF are not jumpshooters, they are quick, atheletic slashers that penetrate and break down the defense to get to the rim.

True assesment, however still the one thing from the "Heat perspective" (from I've seen that has been sucessful for this Miami Heat team) they need to make a concious effort to close out on all jumpshots and shooters. The Mavericks do like to run alot of Pick and Rolls too, so continuing to switch off on those is key as well. And as far as the dribble penetration, I expect Riley to execute alot of zone this series....

This matchup is really to hard to break down really. Specific things are not always going to come out the perceived way. It's really just one of those wait and seed type ordeals. I stand by the "whoever dicates their particular pace" first and foremost will close it out.

Last edited by BFRESH44 : 06-04-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #38
Unregistered

Prior to the ECF, Detroit was supposedly was one the better teams in the league at collectively defending Wade.. well... you've seen Wade's numbers.............

Hamilton, Billups, Prince, Lindsey hunter (especially Hunter) and even Delfino were all thrown at Wade and all at one point frustrated Wade. You're telling me Dallas will outdo Detroit in that department? methinks not
Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 AM   #39
MavsPoke

Quote:
This matchup is really to hard to break down really. Specific things are not always going to come out the perceived way. It's really just one of those wait and seed type ordeals. I stand by the "whoever dicates their particular pace" first and foremost will close it out.

Well, that's more like it. Now the Mavs actually have a chance to win. Before you made it sound like Shaq and Wade couldn't be stopped.

Mavs have HCA and COY plus the trueMVP. They should not be taken lightly.

I think the Mavs will win it, but I will not come on this forum and say that the Heat don't have a chance. I will tout my team and point out thier strengths, I'll make fun of Walker (a bit), but I will not say that the Heat can't beat the Mavs.

Frankly, after watching the Heat/Pistons series, I'm pretty scared. Wade has been freakishly phenomenal. Shaq has looked like the Shaq of old. So I get why the Heat fans are pumped.

I know that the Heat have proven that thier regular season fiascoes against the top teams is now a meaningless stat for sports nerds to look at. But the Mavs have been through a tougher road to the finals. Everyone is fully heathy and as a Mavs fan, I am pretty confident that the Mavs match up well against the Heat.

Will Wade go crazy in this series, like he did against the Pistons??? Will Shaq just roll right over Diop/Damp??? I don't know yet, and niether do the Heat fans.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 AM   #40
Unregistered

Not to mention dallas doesnt have the length to bother Wade like prince, Sheed, and Ben do
Old 06-04-2006, 02:11 AM   #41
MavsPoke

Quote:
Prior to the ECF, Detroit was supposedly was one the better teams in the league at collectively defending Wade.. well... you've seen Wade's numbers.............

Hamilton, Billups, Prince, Lindsey hunter (especially Hunter) and even Delfino were all thrown at Wade and all at one point frustrated Wade. You're telling me Dallas will outdo Detroit in that department? methinks not

Yeah. I know. That's the one thing in this series that we'll find out about. If Wade keeps playing like ... dare I say ... the next Jordan, then the Mavs don't have a chance and neither does anyone else for a long, long time.

But to your point, I think the Mavs match up just as well as Detroit did at defending Wade. Difference is on the offensive end, the Mavs have wayyyyy more firepower to withstand a Wade miracle hot streak. The Pistons were a defensive team. Once Wade broke them down, they couldn't respond. Dallas can.

Get ready for a hell of a series. I really hope we see Wade at his best. It will be fun. I really hope the Mavs don't see the Heat of the regular season. It will be fun to see the Heat firing on all cylinders and the Mavs coming right back at them with haymakers of thier own.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 AM   #42
SmokyMcNasty
I hit open 5-footers

SmokyMcNasty has an OK reputation so far
Default Mavs fans,

Who do you think will primarily guard Wade in the Finals?

Adrian Griffin or Josh Howard? Or other?
SmokyMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:17 AM   #43
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

I still haven't decided who to go for. Right now, I'm just happy that the world will finally get to see an entertaining Finals and that we'll get to see a newborn champion.

I'm thinking, right now, that I'll go with the Heat. The Mavs seem like they have a foundation for years to come while the Heat look like a team that needs to capitalize on what they have going now. Plus, if the Heat win, Gary Payton and Zo will finally go away.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #44
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Man finals without the lakers actually mean something to me. Though I guess the passion is fueled by the desire to see shaq fail :\
Anyway this should be a good matchup. I'd say both teams play a good blend of defense and offense and probably games might go in 100s, especially if dallas runs. Actually they should do that to wear shaq down. So far heat have had an easier ride playing less games which may be why shaq has been able to keep it up. So if Dallas runs then they might be able to take him out early. Let's see how it goes.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #45
DeepStich
I airball my layups

DeepStich has an OK reputation so far

Mavs in 6...I'm worried about who can stop Shaq; I'm not sure Dampiere or Diop are up to it...
DeepStich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: