Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

BrownBaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Raptors sign jawai to guaranteed 2 years

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...teed_contract/

Well looks like he's gonna be in the fold this year..don't know if its better for him to develop here or in Australia..

Thoughts?
BrownBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Raptors sign jawai to guaranteed 2 years

Well if he plays over at auss, he will be playing with guys he can overpower easily which he is what he 's done last year 17ppg, 9reb. He comes here, bang guys around, he get more expierence imo.

Imgaine, Jawai, Oneal, Bosh, Kapono, Jose on the floor.

AB parker moon ukic off bench, keeping it short, but i really dont think Jawa will get much playing time until 2nd half of season at most.

Last edited by Jalen5 : 07-11-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I don't expect much from this guy, this year anyway, but if he comes in this year and just hits people and grabs rebounds, I'll be satisfied with his play.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Sweet! I was sincerely hoping that Jawai could be our new Pape Sow this year. Hopefully he won't have a freak neck injury like Pape did.

Nasty Nate should be a solid 5th big for us. He'll probably get some minutes, we don't want to overplay JO and have him wear down again, and really Jawai is much more of a centre to back up Jermaine than Bargnani (Andrea will still get more minutes because he can score... on occasion).

I have heard that Nathan is up to almost 290 lbs right now, I would like to see him significantly slimmed down when he arrives here, hopefully to around 270. That will make him more mobile, less injury prone, more capable of jumping for rebounds instead of just taking up space. Even though he will most likely be a non-factor this season, I'm excited. I actually expect him to have a better career than Roy Hibbert.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

I really wish he would have went over to europe.

The Aussie league isn't good enough for him but he isn't going to get to play here, but in europe he could have played and played against tougher competition than he faces in Australia.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

I think AMG hit on the point where you can't ride JO n Bosh all the time and BC is hoping this guy is ready. This is a deep draft, and Jawai could of gone first round.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I can see him in the NBDL and if he can dominate their maybe he can play with the raps mid-season, especially if there is an injury to bosh, jo or bargs.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

The guy didn't dominate in Australia....so I think we need to be patient. Anything we get from this guy in the next 2 years is bonus.

Last edited by RapsFan : 07-13-2008 at 08:38 AM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

YaoMing4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
The duy didn't dominate in Australia....so I think we need to be patient. Anything we get from this guy in the next 2 years is bonus.

In other words, absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. We are probably paying him minimum NBA wage and he's happy just to be in a NBA locker room.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMing4MVP
In other words, absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. We are probably paying him minimum NBA wage and he's happy just to be in a NBA locker room.

With some persistence and good coaching he could turn into a monster. He has all the tools we'll see him somtime in the D league and then spot minutes in the second half of the season. I could see him taking away minutes from Humphries on any given night playing bigger teams to give JO a rest and moving Bargs to the 4.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
ClintDogg
I airball my layups

ClintDogg has an OK reputation so far

This guy is great.

Hes like a baby Shaq, but he can dribble, shoot, pass (and slam lol).

I watched him in our NBL here in Australia and he does something fully mad every game.

Watch out.
http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=75328
http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=75325
http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=75323

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.ph...basite=raptors
ClintDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
With some persistence and good coaching he could turn into a monster. He has all the tools we'll see him somtime in the D league and then spot minutes in the second half of the season. I could see him taking away minutes from Humphries on any given night playing bigger teams to give JO a rest and moving Bargs to the 4.

Can't this be said about basically any young player? This is just another example where fans see a few youtube videos, look at a guys stats playing in the YMCA league and think he'll be a star. How about this time, we all take it slow. He is not going to take mins from Humphries.

Anyone remember Priest Lauderdale?

There are actually scouting reports on Jawai that he gets winded while playing! He's only been playing for 5 years and has a limited skill set. Nice size and potential to keep getting better. I hope he spends a lot of time in the D League getting tons of mins and playing against other team's projects like Sene and O'Bryant types. They will be way way way way better competition then he's used to.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Can't this be said about basically any young player? This is just another example where fans see a few youtube videos, look at a guys stats playing in the YMCA league and think he'll be a star. How about this time, we all take it slow. He is not going to take mins from Humphries.

Anyone remember Priest Lauderdale?

There are actually scouting reports on Jawai that he gets winded while playing! He's only been playing for 5 years and has a limited skill set. Nice size and potential to keep getting better. I hope he spends a lot of time in the D League getting tons of mins and playing against other team's projects like Sene and O'Bryant types. They will be way way way way better competition then he's used to.

Yes we've all seen the youtube video's...it's not what he does. I't how he goes about doing it. His style of play is unique to the Raps. It will definitely take time to develop, as with any young player (as you mention)...it's the little things he does his drop step the way he uses his body to create space...the way he uses left and right hands...the way he's aggresive and tries to dunk it everytime he close to the rim. You can see the difference between the players that got the right coaching and motivation (ie. people like Brand and even on a smaller scale Diogu and Millsap) as opposed to guys put in the wrong situation (is. Robert Traylor and Mike Sweetney). I think now they have a guy Dave Herbert working with them solely that he will turn into a really good role player and have a long NBA career...hopefully with the Raps.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
Yes we've all seen the youtube video's...it's not what he does. I't how he goes about doing it. His style of play is unique to the Raps. It will definitely take time to develop, as with any young player (as you mention)...it's the little things he does his drop step the way he uses his body to create space...the way he uses left and right hands...the way he's aggresive and tries to dunk it everytime he close to the rim. You can see the difference between the players that got the right coaching and motivation (ie. people like Brand and even on a smaller scale Diogu and Millsap) as opposed to guys put in the wrong situation (is. Robert Traylor and Mike Sweetney). I think now they have a guy Dave Herbert working with them solely that he will turn into a really good role player and have a long NBA career...hopefully with the Raps.

Again, you haven't seen the guy play or had ever heard of him until probably a month ago, and you're basing 'how he goes about doing things' on a few articles and YouTube vids.

Nobody knows what to expect from this kid....let's keep expectations minimal. His drop stel etc needs to produce against NBA talent for him to have an impact. Glen Davis was like 18/9 in Division 1 College hoops, and was a bit player as a rookie. His skill level is probably 5 times that of Jawai. So we need to expect nothing, and be pleased with anything.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
ClintDogg
I airball my layups

ClintDogg has an OK reputation so far

ive seen him in the youtube videos, and on TV heaps of times, and IN REAL LIFE TOO at games, believe me, this guy has got what it takes to play NBA.

This is why i said what i said.

Im from Australia too, just like Jawai.
ClintDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: