Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool
Default Thomas/Noah is not the frontcourt of the future

Both are wiry athletes with low skill level. And neither of them can effectively defend the center position.

This upcoming season will likely determine which one stays, which one goes.

But just like Chandler/Curry before them, they are not compatible as a frontcourt pairing that intends to lead a squad to more than 35 wins a season.

Honestly, I don't really like either of them that much because their weaknesses are significant. Noah would be a great fit alongside a big man that can score inside and defend centers, but how many of those guys are available right now? There's really only about 5 of them in the entire NBA.

And Thomas has 2 major flaws about him:
1) Too small and weak in the paint to play consistently well at the PF position.
2) Too low on skill and IQ to be an effective SF.

Because of his great athleticism he'll have good nights every now and then. But unless he bulks up or somehow gets a post game he'll never be consistent.

This is something that will have to be figured out this season.

Last edited by dak121 : 08-27-2008 at 11:52 AM.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
drwax26
High School Starter

drwax26 has decent reputationdrwax26 has decent reputation
Default Re: Thomas/Noah is not the frontcourt of the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Both are wiry athletes with low skill level. And neither of them can effectively defend the center position.

This upcoming season will likely determine which one stays, which one goes.

But just like Chandler/Curry before them, they are not compatible as a frontcourt pairing that intends to lead a squad to more than 35 wins a season.

Honestly, I don't really like either of them that much because their weaknesses are significant. Noah would be a great fit alongside a big man that can score inside and defend centers, but how many of those guys are available right now? There's really only about 5 of them in the entire NBA.

And Thomas has 2 major flaws about him:
1) Too small and weak in the paint to play consistently well at the PF position.
2) Too low on skill and IQ to be an effective SF.

Because of his great athleticism he'll have good nights every now and then. But unless he bulks up or somehow gets a post game he'll never be consistent.

This is something that will have to be figured out this season.

TT will never be an effective 4. So he def has to model his game off of Deng where he hits open 2's and learns how to drive. He also will need to learn how to roll for alley oops. Thats the only way he can make it. Noah def can get you boards and put backs so i think he is more valuable to the bulls than TT. Noah is only in his 2nd yr as well. Good post.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

I really like what you are saying dak121 and you said it perfectly.

Don't be surprised if many people enter this thread and disagree with your opinion though, (especially about Thomas) who has nearly achieved a God-like status among a portion of Bulls fans.

I am of the opinion that if we don't see some sign of a significant improvement that one of them must go. I am inclined to think Noah is just about as good now as he will ever be, but Tyrus likely wont become what he is projected to be.

Time will tell and I would really like to be proven wrong though.

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 08-28-2008 at 01:59 AM.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
vmdv12
Kids at the park dunk on me

vmdv12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwax26
TT will never be an effective 4. So he def has to model his game off of Deng where he hits open 2's and learns how to drive. He also will need to learn how to roll for alley oops. Thats the only way he can make it. Noah def can get you boards and put backs so i think he is more valuable to the bulls than TT. Noah is only in his 2nd yr as well. Good post.

I agree with part of what you said. CelticForce said it right, IMO, when he said Noah is what you see. Tyrus, on the other hand, can still develop. Some of us remember Horace Grant, I'm sure. Horace could bang when it came to rebounds...but he had no post up game. He shot tons of mid range jumpers, but he was good at it. Tyrus started showing he can hit the midrange shot....it got better as the season went on. If Tyrus can hit it consistenly..THEN I think maybe Noah is the one that needs to go because a post up center would go perfectly next to Tyrus. Then again, we still have Gooden!! lol He's got a decent post up game and should fit well next to Noah. It's gotta suck to be Pax right now!! ( I mean having difficult decisions to make! ) I would rather they invest more time into Tyrus to see what he becomes.
vmdv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Hey, just for the record...did anyone ever find out if Tyrus has grown taller over the summer?

I remember Dengness posted a pic a few months ago that showed Tyrus standing next to Deng, and TT looked to be nearly two inches taller than deng. All this despite the fact that they are each listed as being 6ft 8 inches tall.

It would be interesting to know if this is true.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

By mid-season, my opinions on this will be final.

Thomas is due this season for drastic improvement, and Noah is now in his second year. No more excuses.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Thomas is so athletic and has so much natural ability that if he just started playing smart basketball he'd be awesome. I could really see this Bulls team becoming kind of like the Suns (before Steve Kerr traded for Shaq). Imagine the Bulls getting out and running like the Suns only playing better defense...

Rose
Gordon or Sefolosha
Deng
Thomas
Noah

That could be a really good lineup if all of them can play up to their potential.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

They need an allstar athletic Center or Power Forward to hold down the middle. This current roster may even be a playoff team already, but they are far from championship until they have an interior superstar player.

They need to make a move for a guy better than Gooden in 2009, or wait it out for 2010. With the cap room from Gooden as well as the expiring contract of Larry Hughes, they should be able to afford to outright sign Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Nowitski, or Yao to a near maximum contract.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
They need to make a move for a guy better than Gooden in 2009, or wait it out for 2010. With the cap room from Gooden as well as the expiring contract of Larry Hughes, they should be able to afford to outright sign Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Nowitski, or Yao to a near maximum contract.

That's exactly what they're doing. That's been the plan. There's A LOT of quality players going to Free Agency in the next couple years, and some of our biggest contracts are gone just in time....we're getting something. Sit back and enjoy this year. We get to see the future develop.

Don't get wrong, I'm sick of the Bulls disappointing seasons from the past as much as the next fan. I just see we're so close and in a good situation, it's hard to find something to be angry about.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i happen to like noah as a solid role player. i see him averaging about 11ppg 8 rbds 51%. thomas is a bust, i hate that the bulls traded aldridge for that scrub. just think if we had aldridges offense and noahs defense.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

i think neither player needs to go .. both are young. thomas maybe the future pf if he develops well. noah is a good solid player not much of a starter but he is a decent backup .. it really depends how will both develop but thomas has more upside if am paxson id keep noah for the right price but i doubt it .. young players specially from the bulls organization tend to ask for more money so if that happens noah will be gone.. its funny because after elton brand its been hard for you guys to get a very good pf.. gooden is good but he is getting older...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Thomas and Noah seem like great future backups on a winning team

Or lower-tier starters on a team that isn't a big winner
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
tian820
NBA lottery pick

tian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Thomas and Noah seem like great future backups on a winning team

Or lower-tier starters on a team that isn't a big winner

Describes the Bulls pretty well right there...
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

& to think, that you guuys had Lamarcus Aldridge....

Exactly What you guys need....

& traded him for TT(Who I still think is good& kind of a mini amare)
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

The problem with Thomas is that he's too small to play power forward. He has the height but he'd get dominated against bigger players. If he can really improve on offense and if Luol Deng can improve I really wouldn't mind seeing Deng move to SG and Thomas to SF.

How do you think a lineup of Rose, Deng, Thomas, Drew Gooden and Noah would do?
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: