Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Trading JO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
But that's the thing, we got Ford because we traded Villy while his value was high then he washed away on Milwaukee. If that's the case with JO, with him being injury prone, should we do the same if he has a big season?
But then you're right back to having that huge hole at C and Bosh having no help in the frontcourt. So unless the Raptors miraculously draft a very good C in the late to mid 1st round or sign one in free agency, I don't think you can trade JO.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
T-Low
College superstar

Yes, but if he plays well by the end of the season, he is still that superstar and a superstar can bring in some good players especially if packaged with others...
T-Low is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Yes, but if he plays well by the end of the season, he is still that superstar and a superstar can bring in some good players especially if packaged with others...

we should really consider trading J.O only if Bargnani, Jawai, and Hump some signs of serious potential, J.O would have to play well too maybe at an all-star level. then go for a superstar for superstar trade to improve our backcourt like A.I for J.O.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
if Bargnani, Jawai, and Hump some signs of serious potential
Does anyone realistically see these guys as a C beside Bosh even at their best? I sure don't. It's not just a matter of signs of serious potential IMO. It would take a once in a million lifetimes miracle for any of these 3 to be an adequate fit beside Bosh for a contending team.

Bargnani is a PF and trade bait whether he plays well or not and Humphries/Jawai are decent cheap backup PFs at best.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Does anyone realistically see these guys as a C beside Bosh even at their best? I sure don't. It's not just a matter of signs of serious potential IMO. It would take a once in a million lifetimes miracle for any of these 3 to be an adequate fit beside Bosh for a contending team.

Bargnani is a PF and trade bait whether he plays well or not and Humphries/Jawai are decent cheap backup PFs at best.

I agree completely. It is hard to find good center's these days. So that is why i am say maybe package O'Neal and another contract of a good player (preferably smaller contract) for 2 mediocre players (center and a swingman) and see where that takes us.
T-Low is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Hey, if someone wants to OVERPAY for JO after a big season I'm all for it....

But we must get a good center in return, who fits with Bosh, (thank you Qygibo). Or else why bother? I mean, we haven't even seen the dude play yet.
Hold your horses, I know ya'll want somting to talk about but yeesh.
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:06 AM   #22
b4ball
Local High School Star

The questions come down to what we think is better for the team. A good to very good centre or a better wing player. Seems some are ready to trade JO for a less talented centre to play along side Bosh for a wing that is better then what we have.

I think a good to very good centre is more important. The Raptors don't have a problem scoring and that won't be different this year. What wins is good defense, and good defense is anchored by a very good centre.

Remember that this team starts and ends with Bosh. It's what we have been building on. I want to see it play out now that Bosh has some real help in the middle.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

The one thing you can't replace when it comes to oNeal is the fact he has heart. When healthy he is every bit as hungry as Bosh at his best. You won't have to motivate him. You will see one of the best defensive centres in the league, a total game changer. Pray he doesn't get hurt and the Raps will be downright scary this year. No one will be talking about trading him then. He can be one mean ombre on the boards, any offence we get from him will be bonus considering everything else he brings to the table. Kobe...keep your head up!
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #24
RapsFan
Great college starter

If JO plays well, I really doubt we want to be the team giving him a decent contract that will go into his mid- 30's. If he works out, he'll walk as a FA or we'll deal him. Either scenario is fine. We'll have money to spend if he walks to replace him at C.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #25
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

Why are we having these hypethetical situations of trading JO?

The bottom line is, if he stays healthy, he'll dominate. If he doesn't, he'll suck and no one will want him for 21M a year anyways. In the latter scenario, we're stuck with him and won't get anything in return even if we trade him.

So either he thrives with the Raptors and take the team down with him. Well, even if he stucks, we'll still make the Playoffs provided Bosh is healthy, but we just won't go very far.

We, including BC, knew this was going to be a gamble with maybe a 65% chance of success and a 35% chance of complete failure, so let's just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #26
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMing4MVP
Why are we having these hypethetical situations of trading JO?

The bottom line is, if he stays healthy, he'll dominate. If he doesn't, he'll suck and no one will want him for 21M a year anyways. In the latter scenario, we're stuck with him and won't get anything in return even if we trade him.

So either he thrives with the Raptors and take the team down with him. Well, even if he stucks, we'll still make the Playoffs provided Bosh is healthy, but we just won't go very far.

We, including BC, knew this was going to be a gamble with maybe a 65% chance of success and a 35% chance of complete failure, so let's just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

I disagree. JO will have value next season, regardless of how he is playing because a team wanting to rebuild is always interested in taking an expiring contract in exchange for some long-term cap relief - see pau gasol trade.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #27
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I disagree. JO will have value next season, regardless of how he is playing because a team wanting to rebuild is always interested in taking an expiring contract in exchange for some long-term cap relief - see pau gasol trade.

He will have value if he stays healthy and plays well. If not, he will screw himself and and Raptors. For sure, he won't get another 21M/season contract. All I know is, if he plays well, we wouldn't want to trade him anyway. If he gets injurred again, it could be career ending. That jumper's knee/ankel is a career factor, not just a season factor.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
b4ball
Local High School Star

Anybody with a 20+ million dollar expiring contract has value, regardless of how they play, and it's not just rebuilding teams that are interested in those types of contracts.

And regardless of how JO plays, I say we don't trade him, I would like to see what BC does with that kind of money to play with, wether it's re-signing JO, getting that coveted wing that we need or whatever are need's are at that time.

The caveat is that JO might have more value at the trading deadline on the last year of his contract, though, those trades are harder to orchastrate because the trading partner would want JO to sign a contract extension before taking him on.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: