Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
RapsFan
Great college starter

Default 360 Question.....very simple

I play a ton of 360, but believe it or not, I don't play online AT ALL. So, my question is, what do I need to do? I have Madden 09 and I'd like the roster updates. Is there a way to get them easy for me. I only have the 360 CORE system (got it some time ago). My house is set up on wireless for the internet, no Ethernet cable near the console. Thanks.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
notorious ai3
OTC semi-lurker

Default Re: 360 Question.....very simple

well, first you have to purchase 3 things: a hard drive (xbox live will not work unless you have a hard drive), a wireless internet connector that is made by microsoft, and a xbox live subscription card for however long you want it (some games like gta 4 came with a free month of gold).

you may be able to get a free 2 week session of gold if you haven't signed up for live before, so if you just want to get the roster update, i'd say hold off on purchasing the subscription until you have everything set up.

id say based on how your house is set up with wireless internet and how you have a core system, this may cost you about $190. i don't think there is any other way. that is why it is better to buy the system that comes with the hard drive right from the start.
notorious ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

^ You can go on live with the memory card the arcade is bundle with.

But you have to go on live for the update though, you also need a live gold account, it cost 7$ a month. Or you can get a 48 hour for 1$
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOOK-Xbox-360-LI...QQcmdZViewItem
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

Thanks guys. BKF, are you saying I can get the update onto my memory card without getting all the other gear? I can move my 360 to the room with the ethernet connection (or is it all done wireless). Be great if I could just log on once and download that update and be done.

I won the core system through work, otherwise I would have definitely bought the full system.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

You can use ethernet, but you need a live gold account, did you get the 30 day card with the system?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
You can use ethernet, but you need a live gold account, did you get the 30 day card with the system?

No I didn't, but I can get that 48 hr account right? Then can I go onto live and download the madden update right to my memory card...no hard drive required?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Yea, but you might want to wait for the next madden update if you can. Teams are still finalizing their roster, and Pacman Jones just got reinstated... but it's only a buck.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Isn't Playstation online free? Why would you pay to play online with XBox?

You guys DO realize that eventually PS3 will catch up and be a kick ass system, yes? I mean PSOne and PS2 were both awesome systems for nearly a decade each.

If ALL PS3 had to offer was better graphics than PS2, it would still be an awesome system.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

You guys DO realize that eventually PS3 will catch up and be a kick ass system, yes? I mean PSOne and PS2 were both awesome systems for nearly a decade each.

If ALL PS3 had to offer was better graphics than PS2, it would still be an awesome system.

Mathius

XBLA has a better online infrastructure and more user friendly interface.
Also the 360 has a higher install base which means more online players as well as online competition.

The PlayStation 3 as of right now is really struggling in this generation. Many developers are weary to support and develop for the system as its market share is one of the worst right now and the cel processor is a pain to program for…

Developers are actually investing more time into the DS as it is currently the system with the highest install base world wide (titles like Dragon Quest IX). Even Japan is beginning to see more development on the 360… niche genres are finding their way on the 360 right now in Japan. Death Smiles was just announced!!! Raiden IV and Otomedius are coming in September, Ketsui should be out at the end of the year. Star Ocean 4 is coming to the 360 soon and Tri-Ace is bring Infinite Undiscoverey in a couple weeks. Tales of Vesperia just released and caused a shortage of 360's in Japan! These types of games were only on PlayStation 2 in the last generation…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Killer_Instinct
And Another One

Quote:

Mathius

The hell? I've been missing out.
Killer_Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
XBLA has a better online infrastructure and more user friendly interface.
Also the 360 has a higher install base which means more online players as well as online competition.

The PlayStation 3 as of right now is really struggling in this generation. Many developers are weary to support and develop for the system as its market share is one of the worst right now and the cel processor is a pain to program for…

Developers are actually investing more time into the DS as it is currently the system with the highest install base world wide (titles like Dragon Quest IX). Even Japan is beginning to see more development on the 360… niche genres are finding their way on the 360 right now in Japan. Death Smiles was just announced!!! Raiden IV and Otomedius are coming in September, Ketsui should be out at the end of the year. Star Ocean 4 is coming to the 360 soon and Tri-Ace is bring Infinite Undiscoverey in a couple weeks. Tales of Vesperia just released and caused a shortage of 360's in Japan! These types of games were only on PlayStation 2 in the last generation…

Some of your original points may be relevant, but you'd have to cite some examples for me to understand what you're talking about specifically.

The knocks on PS3 you listed are fairly parallel with the knocks that PSOne and PS2 received. Both systems were said to be hard to develop games for, and a big part of that was Sony not allowing anyone to know anything about the way it was built. Supposedly Sony allowed developers more incite into PS3 to prevent these issues. I'm confident it will be straightened out the same way it was for its two predecessors.

Sony has a lot of weight to throw around. Witness the way they bullied the Blu-Ray technology into the mainstream and put HD-DVD to bed. They have too much invested into PS3 to allow it to fail. The one thing they lack the most is a dedicated developer to give them an edge over XBox. MGS4 is a good start. Also, don't ignore the fact that 360 was released earlier so they had a head start.

As far as that other stuff you mentioned, I'm sorry, but Japanese releases have little effects on my opinion as a game player here in the States. Mod Chip technology will never be main stream enough that import titles will be handy.

Mathius
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Some of your original points may be relevant, but you'd have to cite some examples for me to understand what you're talking about specifically.

The knocks on PS3 you listed are fairly parallel with the knocks that PSOne and PS2 received. Both systems were said to be hard to develop games for, and a big part of that was Sony not allowing anyone to know anything about the way it was built. Supposedly Sony allowed developers more incite into PS3 to prevent these issues. I'm confident it will be straightened out the same way it was for its two predecessors.

Sony has a lot of weight to throw around. Witness the way they bullied the Blu-Ray technology into the mainstream and put HD-DVD to bed. They have too much invested into PS3 to allow it to fail. The one thing they lack the most is a dedicated developer to give them an edge over XBox. MGS4 is a good start. Also, don't ignore the fact that 360 was released earlier so they had a head start.

As far as that other stuff you mentioned, I'm sorry, but Japanese releases have little effects on my opinion as a game player here in the States. Mod Chip technology will never be main stream enough that import titles will be handy.

Mathius

Blu-Ray is Sony's first ever successful proprietary format. Beta, mini-disc, and even UMD were pretty much failures even if better (Betamax was better than VHS in picture quality)

Nintendo dominated for two generations before being dethroned by Sony. The NES and SNES dominated world wide (Mega Drive was unsuccessful in Japan). The PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 were the most dominant for their respective generations… PS2 is still doing very will 8 years later!

The whole angle in the Japanese market, well for a hardware platform to be successful it has to be successful in all three major markets, North America, Europe, and Japan. Japan is were the majority of game development comes from. Big name companies such as Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix(Taito), Namco-Bandai, Sega, mid level names like Natsume, Koei, Tecmo, Atlus, Nippon Ichi, as well as Nintendo and Sony themselves…

We're heading into the 2nd anniversary of the PS3 and it continues to struggle and games, especially exclusives are few and far between. I fear that the PS3 may be Sony's death knell… I have always been a supporter of Sony and all consoles for that matter. I got the system at launch and had high hopes for it but it has yet to deliver…

EDIT:
adding a link chronicling the financial struggles of the PlayStation 3…
The PS3 has already cost Sony over $3.3 billion…

Last edited by Sonic R : 08-29-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Blu-Ray is Sony's first ever successful proprietary format. Beta, mini-disc, and even UMD were pretty much failures even if better (Betamax was better than VHS in picture quality)

Right, but that doesn't really prove anything except what I said, that Sony has a lot of weight to throw around <right now>. If I understand it correctly, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were pretty evenly matched in terms of technology. Sony basically made sure they pushed themselves into getting the correct backing from other corporations that will be marketing the discs.

Quote:
Nintendo dominated for two generations before being dethroned by Sony. The NES and SNES dominated world wide (Mega Drive was unsuccessful in Japan). The PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 were the most dominant for their respective generations… PS2 is still doing very will 8 years later!

Which is definitely a positive if you're Sony, but a disappointment as a player, because for one thing, they've pretty much stopped developing for the PS2 and it really should be in its prime right now. Second, I'd rather have seen Nintendo going strong so we have that many more good game systems instead of the current offerings.

You're also forgetting that SEGA got taken out by PSone as well.

Quote:
The whole angle in the Japanese market, well for a hardware platform to be successful it has to be successful in all three major markets, North America, Europe, and Japan. Japan is were the majority of game development comes from. Big name companies such as Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix(Taito), Namco-Bandai, Sega, mid level names like Natsume, Koei, Tecmo, Atlus, Nippon Ichi, as well as Nintendo and Sony themselves…

What you're saying is true, but there's also a whole plethora of games in Japan that will never see the light of day in the U.S. for whatever reason, whether it be refusal to port it over to english, or just a plain lack of support for that type of game in the U.S.

And history hasn't exactly proven that developing games in Japan for the U.S. is a positive thing.... afterall, Nintendo pretty much got taken out up until the release of the Wii, and that's starting to cool off considerably.

Some of the Japanese offerings are just plain out there as far as content goes. It's the strong game play that has kept them in the market. If I look at some of the Final Fantasy games... the story line is just plain nuts and out there, for most of the series. It's the depth of the characters and the game play itself that's made it a successful franchise.

Honestly though, I see Final Fantasy falling by the way-side in the near future if they don't start breathing some fresh air into it. Of course this is off subject, but I don't think ANY of the PS2 FF offerings were as successful as the PSOne games. I think Final Fantasy fans are finally starting to realize that menu-based fighting, no matter how you sup it up, is just boring.

Quote:
We're heading into the 2nd anniversary of the PS3 and it continues to struggle and games, especially exclusives are few and far between. I fear that the PS3 may be Sony's death knell… I have always been a supporter of Sony and all consoles for that matter. I got the system at launch and had high hopes for it but it has yet to deliver…

EDIT:
adding a link chronicling the financial struggles of the PlayStation 3…
The PS3 has already cost Sony over $3.3 billion…

It's definitely not a positive thing, but if Sony was going to cut their losses it should have happened a LOOONG time ago before it hit those levels. They screwed up in the development of this system from the word "go".

Offering Blu-Ray technology was supposed to give them an edge over Microsoft, as well as the built in HD, but it also boosted the price of the system considerably.

Then they went and made the same mistake every system has done except the early Nintendo and Sega consoles, which is to release the system before they had any good games to back it up!

I think Sony is past the point of no return with this system, and they have to keep going with it, which means pushing game development and getting back to signing some exclusives.

The biggest achievement Microsoft has made over any of the systems, is both their ability to GET games made for them exclusively (Gears of War, Halo) and their ability to keep the other systems from doing this (Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy)

Mathius
Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Mathius

I could probably just call my friend and ask him, but we've been f'ing around with Soul Calibur IV the last two days, and I was idly wondering, does 360 and PS3 even use memory cards anymore with the HD's available? I mean if you created a character at home, wouldn't you want to be able to take it to a friend's to use it? Yes I realize there is online play, but my buddy doesn't have internet either.

Mathius
Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
notorious ai3
OTC semi-lurker

Quote:
I could probably just call my friend and ask him, but we've been f'ing around with Soul Calibur IV the last two days, and I was idly wondering, does 360 and PS3 even use memory cards anymore with the HD's available? I mean if you created a character at home, wouldn't you want to be able to take it to a friend's to use it? Yes I realize there is online play, but my buddy doesn't have internet either.

Mathius

i'm not certain, but perhaps if you went into the dashboard and look at the saved files, you can then copy them over to a memory card. i've never tried it before because i don't have a memory card, but it may be something to look at.
notorious ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: