Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Immortal Bum has not been impressing people
Default internet depress anyone?

i feel like i get depressed if i use the net too much, unless its info based or work. but when it comes to social networks or even forums, i get depressed at the idea that interesting things are happening all the time to everyone but me. i feel i need breaks from this or i start to lose my mind. especially since my real social life is inactive, seeing people having a great time all the time gets depressing.
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: internet depress anyone?

Yea I mean if you do it too much you are taking time away from experiencing new things and spending time with other people. Chances are you are an introvert and all you need is to get out a few times a month and have fun and that will fuel your introverted behavior. I am very cool with surfing the internet, playing video games, and being on my own in general... but not day after day. I just had an awesome trip with a buddy down to San Diego/Tijuana where we pretty much let loose and that has fueled me these past couple weeks. Of course during that time I was hanging out with friends, but we were just chilling not going out or anything. I will be ready to go out again next weekend though to have a new experience. You just have to find what works for you mean. I go to meetup groups too and talk to/meet new people. It helps a lot man just keeps you going without feeling blah.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Bum
i feel like i get depressed if i use the net too much, unless its info based or work. but when it comes to social networks or even forums, i get depressed at the idea that interesting things are happening all the time to everyone but me. i feel i need breaks from this or i start to lose my mind. especially since my real social life is inactive, seeing people having a great time all the time gets depressing.

you gotta keep in mind that those people who seem to be " living the life" on facebook and instagram have skeletons in their closet too. the thing is most people will only post about the good things going on but could be going through some crap too. it can be very deceiving as it paints a picture of someones life that may not be accurate

Last edited by flipogb : 08-11-2013 at 03:59 PM.
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
SuperPippen
What can I do for you?

SuperPippen is popular on this boardSuperPippen is popular on this boardSuperPippen is popular on this boardSuperPippen is popular on this boardSuperPippen is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
you gotta keep in mind that those people who seem to be " living the life" on facebook and instagram have skeletons in their closet too. the thing is most people will only post about the good things going on but could be going through some crap too.

Exactly. You're certainly not the only one that feels this way, OP, and I assure you that there plenty of other people with boring, unsatisfactory lives.

Facebook, instagram, and other social media sites like that are for people to display the side of themselves that they want people to see. On the inside, who knows what kind of shit they could be dealing with?

You just gotta get outside more.
SuperPippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't feel too bummed, OP. Sure, some people are really living great lives & bragging about it on social media sites, but I've known plenty people who portray themselves as enjoying their lives on the internet, all while hating it.

I know a dude who is always posting about fun new places he goes to IRL on his FB page, usually accompanied with pics, but he is the most miserable person I know. He might share a pic of him & his friends at some strip club, but if you're there with him, you'll know he's not interacting with anyone, just sitting off to the side like a lonesome loser.

Like I said, some people really do live good lives, but how great can they truly be if they're always looking for others' approval/jealousy? There's even a dude on this site who always posts pics of himself hanging out with friends, & I feel like it's pathetic because he seems to thrive off of other posters commenting on how great his life is. Some will say I'm jealous, but it's hard to be jealous of someone who FEELS it's necessary to show off on a message board. If you've got a good life, great. Don't make yourself look pathetic and needy for others' admiration online.

Anyway, I feel this way at times, too. Since I work a night shift and sleep during the day, I find myself surfing the web on my iPod too often. I don't have enough time between sleeping & work to actually do anything on work days, so I try to have fun on off days. Not every off day can be exciting, but the ones that are make up for my boring days until the next one.

You've got to find what makes you happy. Don't expect every day to be fun, exhilarating, & enjoyable. All you have to do is live your life & not compare yours to what others are doing. There will always be somebody doing something bigger & better than you. Look past that & enjoy what you're able to do, not fret over what you can't.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

heroin helps
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Like many of the others have already stated - social media sites promote individuals lives and paint a picture of them, but it's entirely to their advantage because it's a unique tool that allows them to display and exhibit ONLY what they want the rest of the world to see and experience. I guarantee you, the majority of people that attempt to illustrate their "perfect life" via social media outlets, are realistically living/feeling/experiencing the endless smiles, drink toasting, pool parties, etc in a very unrealistic way.

The new commercial promoting the Nokia Lumia, you know where the top cornball chicks are back in like the 19th row at a concert, bitch flips out her phone, snaps a pic, and enhances it to where it looks as if she's in the front row, uploads and all a sudden her friends are mad jelly. LOL, it's a silly advertisement, but the irony of it all is it's an accurate dramatization of how social media works as a tool to inaccurately falsely paint one's life, or at a minimum, grossly stretching the truth of what one's life is all about.

OP, at least you're keeping shit real. You can feel better knowing for eleven out of twelve people on Facebook, they're the fraudulent all you see is smiles but behind closed doors things aren't so happy-happy-joy-joy, and you're that twelfth dude. The one who keeps it real, the one who doesn't need a Twitter or Instagram to reflect a falsehood where they pretend it's real. No need to let the bullshit portraits of the world (theirs') tarnish or devalue a real work of art, whether there's endless smiles, Tequila toasting pool parties involved or not; what's important is what's real.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
heroin helps

LOL. This could be true. Have you ever tried it?
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Boredom is the common denominator of everyone's life no matter how many fleeting good memories one is able to compile through social media pictures and #GoodTimes hashtags.

Highs and lows for everyone, and I've noticed the people that post a lot of the fun pictures on social media have really low low's. The eagerness to post the pics comes from extreme desperation to fight against a poor self outlook a lot of time.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

I read an article about this one time...i think on cnn or something.

They basically said what some people are saying on here. What you see on facebook is just a tiny sample of someone's life...and now that facebook's been here for a while, it's routine for ppl at a bar or party or restaurant or whatever to take pics for the sole purpose of putting it on facebook.

And so well, that means that they will only take pics of them in interesting places looking very happy.

I do it too. I don't think i've ever took a pic of myself eating ramen noodles, taking the trash out, studying, or playing Call of Duty for the 1,000th time and put it on my facebook. What would the point of that be. I don't think anyone wants to see that. And that won't help me impress any girls who are my facebook friends that I like.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

whats crazy is that these people aren't doing it in purpose, its really just
how people are. There aren't a lot of people who are gonna want to look like a sad person , specially not through pictures. The danger lies in people who look at themselves negatively compared to the lives of others on social media, you just have to be aware that its not exactly what it looks like.
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
MadeFromDust
i take yo azz 2da hole

MadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this board

MadeFromDust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Keep reading, watching, typing and *********ing, everyone!
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation here

The Internet depresses me because you realize how f*cked up we are, and how badly we treat our fellow people's.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #15
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Immortal Bum has not been impressing people

Thanks for your replies everyone. it all makes sense.
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: