Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

Default Travis Outlaw Comments

There's an article in the Oregonian on Travis Outlaw - he talks about how he wants more shots and how he doesn't want to be 6th man forever - however, he didn't come across as a jerk or anything at all in my opinion - he stated that he knew shots were going to be hard to come by - especially with the additions of Oden, Fernandez and Bayless this season - he also discussed HOW he wants to contribute more, what he's working on and then stated that he wants to average 16 pts and 8 rebs a game.

Wish the Blazers were playing a preseason game over here in Spokane!!!!!!!!
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Travis Outlaw Comments

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...day_not_o.html

When I first read the headlines on one of the websites I came across, I thought "Oh no." Then after reading, I was actually kind of happy. He said it doesn't need to come this year or the next necessarily, but eventually he wants to start. And unlike most guys that complain when they want more minutes or shots, he makes it a personal goal to get better and earn them. That makes me excited for this upcoming season.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

<3 Outlaw...

(no homo)
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Ankel Breaker
I airball my layups

This is bad news guys. Maybe not this season. But when his contract comes up he wont be resigned. He will want more money or a bigger role. He wont get either. Not when fernandez is coming in and looks alot more promising then him not to mention bayless. I would expect him to be traded by next season. Not to mention they also got batum. Who starts at the small forwad? Is it webster? Portland has great problem here though. That being they have to much talent. They are loaded and I think outlaw is the odd man out.
Ankel Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
AlaskaBlzDuk
Kids at the park dunk on me

The trout can play some small line up PF too there will be some minutes for him
AlaskaBlzDuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me

Outlaw's game is sick too, but Blazer games arent televized very often with my cable. He would flourish playing in an uptempo offense. I wanna see this kidd in a Suns Uni
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Worse case I see is that he helps us for a couple of years and if there are signs that he won't resign the year before his contract expires, then we trade him for some other valuable player.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Renegade
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Worse case I see is that he helps us for a couple of years and if there are signs that he won't resign the year before his contract expires, then we trade him for some other valuable player.

One point in making a trade is to do it when the player is considered to be at his most valuable. For Outlaw that may be right now. He even alludes to this in the article noting his concern about Bayless and Fernandez. His playing time, PPG and rebounds may all very well go down next season. It would be wise to investigate what his worth is on the market right now. Of course, Pritchard probably has already done that.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
blazerftc
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
One point in making a trade is to do it when the player is considered to be at his most valuable. For Outlaw that may be right now. He even alludes to this in the article noting his concern about Bayless and Fernandez. His playing time, PPG and rebounds may all very well go down next season. It would be wise to investigate what his worth is on the market right now. Of course, Pritchard probably has already done that.

My problem is that we've had him for a while now. We put time and money into his development. We sign him last season and give him the role of "spark off the bench", which he succeeds at nicely, and now we suddenly have to trade him "before his value goes down" according to people on ISH. It's like those kids you hated trading cards with. "Dude, this mint condition Karl Malone is totally worth your Isaiah Thomas, AND Domanique Wilkins!.."
blazerftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Renegade
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerftc
My problem is that we've had him for a while now. We put time and money into his development.

Of course the whole point is that you get comparable return for the value. You may have a lot invested in the development of the player, but you get that in return. Your argument would mean you never trade any player you drafted because of development time.

A better argument for not trading him is the O'neal situation. Might he develop into a real star.

Last edited by Renegade : 09-03-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: