Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default According to ESPN experts, JO voted worst newcomer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...=Awards-080901

Quote:
2008-09 Predictions: Worst Newcomer

RANK NAME TEAM VOTES
1T
Baron Davis

Los Angeles Clippers 3

1T
Jermaine O'Neal Toronto Raptors 3

2T
Ron Artest Houston Rockets 2

2T
Kwame Brown Detroit Pistons 2

2T Yi Jianlian New Jersey Nets 2

2T Corey Maggette Golden State Warriors 2

Here's the formula for inviting skepticism from our panel: Miss a lot of games with injury over the years, and compound that with questionable team spirit.

That's the equation that put Baron Davis and Jermaine O'Neal at the head of the pack for the player likely to have the greatest negative impact on his new team. Obviously, the Clippers and Raptors don't want to believe that, as they owe BD and JO a combined $109 million over the next few years.

Davis and O'Neal were hardly alone, with a whopping 16 players meriting mention as the potential "Worst Newcomer." Next in line were Ron Artest, who's worn out a few welcomes; Kwame Brown, looking for redemption with his fourth team; Yi Jianlian, coming off an underwhelming rookie season and weak Olympic tournament; and Corey Maggette, who is expected to bring the Warriors scoring but not much else.

Also receiving one vote each: Michael Beasley, Larry Brown, Marcus Camby, Ricky Davis, Danilo Gallinari, T.J. Ford, Stephon Marbury, Darius Miles, Derrick Rose and Mo Williams.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: According to ESPN experts, JO voted worst newcomer.

The two biggest names voted at the top. No surprise. ESPN needs a story and putting Kwame Brown or someone else at #1 wouldn't be much of a draw.

I don't see how either is a bad fit for their current teams.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

More Clippers and Raptor hate? no way...I do laugh at anyone who question BC's moves.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Personally, I like being a team that everyone doubts vs. a team like Philly who everyone is already expecting to at least challenge a team like Detroit. Being the underdog means that we won't be the team with the target on our back. I will admit that JO has a lot to prove, but i'm certainly looking forward to having him prove people wrong, just like Bosh did at the Olympics.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Screw ESPN, their the ones that predicted that Lakers were gonna win. like (11 of them)
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people

however 16 different people got at least one vote and only 13% of ESPN writers view that JO is worst newcomer. they should have just scrapped this catergory.
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Personally, I like being a team that everyone doubts vs. a team like Philly who everyone is already expecting to at least challenge a team like Detroit. Being the underdog means that we won't be the team with the target on our back. I will admit that JO has a lot to prove, but i'm certainly looking forward to having him prove people wrong, just like Bosh did at the Olympics.

The Raptors have always been viewed as the underdog.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
Trax416
Great young streetballer

Trax416 has an OK reputation so far

THe only way he has a negative impact is by injury. Maybe they missed all his interviews where he 100 percent knows his role on the Raptors, and honestly sounds like one of the most humble guys after a trade I personally have ever heard. Including calling and talking to various players on the Raptors, and flying all the way to Toronto from LV with his family to tour the city.

What a negative impact
Trax416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416
THe only way he has a negative impact is by injury. Maybe they missed all his interviews where he 100 percent knows his role on the Raptors, and honestly sounds like one of the most humble guys after a trade I personally have ever heard. Including calling and talking to various players on the Raptors, and flying all the way to Toronto from LV with his family to tour the city.

What a negative impact
Agreed!..JO conducted himself better then anyone could ask. He is also a lot better spoken then I thought he was. So I don't see him causing any trouble for our team.

The only Neg impact I can see him having is being injured (lets keep our fingers crossed)
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Agreed!..JO conducted himself better then anyone could ask. He is also a lot better spoken then I thought he was. So I don't see him causing any trouble for our team.

The only Neg impact I can see him having is being injured (lets keep our fingers crossed)

I also agree with the above sentiments.

JO has been hungry for a diferent atmosphere for a long time now. He's working harder then he has in a long time, came over and said all the right things, did all the right things. This is a new beginning for a player that deserves our respect, a former all star that played for a team that had so much promise, yet collapsed so quickly. JO will thrive in this enviroment. I don't see trouble ahead, I see promise.

Having said all that what brought this post on was a very limited scope by which to come up with a consensus. So that being the case this JO fit's the scrip. But I don't think there are many "profesional" basketball columnist that think JO's move to Toronto is a bad thing for either the team or himself.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

crap
Quote:
2T Yi Jianlian New Jersey Nets 2
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

Very well said !!! you have read my mind !!!

It makes the game a lot more exciting to watch knowing that JO has something to prove.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416

What a negative impact

for those going to the home opening.. please please cheer for JO when he comes on.. the guy needs tremendous luv and support from the home crowd!
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
NotALakerTroll
I hit open layups

NotALakerTroll has decent reputation

I'm a Laker AND Pacer fan. Growing up watching Jermaine O'Neal (when he was healthy) was a joy to watch. But to be honest, I think his max contract went to his head. Beginning with the year he got his contract, his field goal percentage dipped, and began the slew of injuries which would hamper his play for the next 2-3 seasons. I want him to be healthy, but for the past 3 offseasons he's claimed to be healthy only to miss his usual 30-40 games. You'll soon find out he has a big mouth lol.
NotALakerTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
NotALakerTroll
I hit open layups

NotALakerTroll has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
for those going to the home opening.. please please cheer for JO when he comes on.. the guy needs tremendous luv and support from the home crowd!

I'm not sure he's that humble. In the interview he said he wanted to be dominant once more and in the interviews with the Pacers media he always talked about being one of the best players in the league. He's good, but IMO he's always overrated himself. And this is coming from a Pacer fan.
NotALakerTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: