Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Bargnani at SF next year? Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I just want to say....

I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU...

No this is not a bad idea... Barges might be a defensive liab against quicker and smaller 3's but that is why we have 2 - TWO - BIG INTERIOR D STOPPERS.

Its called rotation.

I also like the mis matches it will create on the O.

3 forwards at basically 7 feet. Sounds like some easy buckets on the RB.

Mind you not for 40 minutes a game... Barges should get 10 minutes + at 3 and rotate through 4 and 5 giving both CB4 and JO rest time.

Bargnani at the 3 does not create any offensive mismatches. He doesn't have a post game and his quickness advantage over other bigs will be negated when being covered by other small forwards.

His greatest offensive strength relies on opposing big men not coming out to close out on him, leaving him for open jumpshots. Most NBA small forwards will be able to close out on him fairly easily and at the same time be able to keep Andrea in front of them.

Yes, the addition of Jermaine improves the interior defence but why compromise that by making an already poor perimeter defence worse? The Raptor's will have no trouble scoring, we need to put the best defence we can out there.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Bargs at the 3 is a disaster. No room for him to post smaller 3's....and he's a terrible % jump shooter.

Also, when did Bosh become a 'big interior D stopper"?

I am not sure we'll score as easily as everyone says we will. We need to see Bosh and JO work together.....they both shoot a ton of jumpers and spend less time on the post then they should.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Bargs at the 3 is a disaster. No room for him to post smaller 3's....and he's a terrible % jump shooter.

Couldn't agree more. I'm cringing at the thought of him trying to defend a 3 off the bounce. Hopefully Sam will go with 3 man rotation with Bosh , JO and Bargs(Barg's obviously getting the least of the minutes) at the 4 and 5 and rarely will have to go with the three of them on the court at the same time.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #19
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

I agree to disagree with you.

I think that AB can shoot with a smaller 3 in his face. Given his height advantage over the likely defensive player he should have some great 12 - 15 footer looks and if coached could be a force in longer rebounds that JO and CB might out of position to grab.

I also think that the 10 minutes at 3 will get his blood rate up and into the game so when he transitions to 4-5 relief he should have his heart rate going and head in the game.

i.e. he wont be cold off the bench.

...but its conjcture and an opinion. Season will tell
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

The problem is, most of ABs shots were wide open last year, as he had a bigger defender on him. He still bricked the majority. He tried to take bigs off the bounce, but that was just ugly. I think having smaller, athletic 3's on him will make AB virtually non-existent. Imagine having a guy like Bowen or Artest guarding him? Just because AB is taller doesn't mean he'll hit a high %.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #21
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
The problem is, most of ABs shots were wide open last year, as he had a bigger defender on him. He still bricked the majority. He tried to take bigs off the bounce, but that was just ugly. I think having smaller, athletic 3's on him will make AB virtually non-existent. Imagine having a guy like Bowen or Artest guarding him? Just because AB is taller doesn't mean he'll hit a high %.

Wait Barganni can shoot over any of the the 3's with seven foot in height. Having a guy thats 6'5 to 6'9 will create some serious mismatches and Barganni has great footwork for a seven footer and if he is given the ball deep enough he should be able to back down any three because of his size. On defense the Raps should play some serious help defense but barganni won't be on the three when the LBJ, Loul Deng, Richard Jeffersons etc are on. He'll be on when the shooters and defenders on the three are on.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #22
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
and Barganni has great footwork for a seven footer and if he is given the ball deep enough he should be able to back down any three because of his size.
What?

Did you not see how much trouble Bargnani had posting up Damon Stoudamire last season? The guy has ZERO footwork in the post. He'll spin to the basket, have no idea where he is and throw up something resembling a shot right off the rim.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #23
RapsFan
Great college starter

And being taller then your defender doesn't make all the difference when shooting a jump shot. I think with quick, long defenders that play the 3, Bargs will be as useful as a pylon. He has a much better chance going against bigs. It's not like he'll be playing against anyony 6'5" or under. And most players have monkey arms that can still get a hand in your face. The difference is that a SF is faster in closing out, and there is no way AB can beat them off the bounce.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Mdog1
Banned

Mdog1 has decent reputation

What if we traded AB to Cleveland for Anderson Varejao and a 2nd. Or if we want a player with a longer contract trade him for Sasha Pavlovic (not exactly my first option) and a first rounder.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog1
What if we traded AB to Cleveland for Anderson Varejao and a 2nd. Or if we want a player with a longer contract trade him for Sasha Pavlovic (not exactly my first option) and a first rounder.
I don't like it. The Raptors would be trading their backup PF for another backup PF. When Bargnani is traded, it should be to fill the holes on the wings. The Raptors need to take advantage of a bad team with no hopes at the playoffs looking to dump the contract of a talented player.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #26
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I don't like it. The Raptors would be trading their backup PF for another backup PF. When Bargnani is traded, it should be to fill the holes on the wings. The Raptors need to take advantage of a bad team with no hopes at the playoffs looking to dump the contract of a talented player.
like Milwaukee with Richard Jefferson..
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #27
Mdog1
Banned

Mdog1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
like Milwaukee with Richard Jefferson..

I actually like that, but i'm not sure they would give him up.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #28
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

The players that I see possibly being available and fitting that need are (and their 09/10 salaries):

Michael Redd - $17 million
Vince Carter - $16.3 million
Richard Jefferson - $14.2 million
Jason Richardson - $13.3 million
Mike Miller - $9.75 million
Mike Dunleavy - $9.78 million

Assuming the Raptors don't want to go into luxury tax territory and would want to match up contracts, the top 3-4 are probably not feasible since it would take gutting the roster depth down to about 11 players to get them.

I figure these would the main pieces offered to any team trying to dump their good player:

Bargnani - $6.5 million
Parker - expiring, $4.5 million in 08/09
Kapono - $6.2 million
mid to late 1st round pick - around $1-1.5 million?
Graham - expiring, $2.5 million in 08/09

If some team asks for Humphries, you wouldn't let him be a deal-breaker but I would prefer to keep him if possible.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #29
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

Relying on Bosh and Oneal to stop lerbon, carmelo and the other elite 3s in league is a good way to get oneal and bosh in foul trouble early. Which is something this Raps team wants to avoid as this team does not have the enough depth. Let bargs be the main backup big off the bench. We already have Moon and Kapono at the 3 which is solid.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: