Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
t-rud349
Maybe Next year...

t-rud349 has an OK reputation so far
Default Xbox 360/PS3

I'm thinking of getting one of these. So I am asking you guys to give me your opinions on which one is better and if the PS3 is worth spending more money.
Also please give an explanation on why you think one is better then the other.
t-rud349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Xbox 360/PS3

Plain and simple:

What games do you like to play?

What do your peers have?

This is a foundation for a starting point in making a decision…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
bballer
bballer

bballer has decent reputationbballer has decent reputation

360. end thread
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
EvinWizzle
Mi a badmon !

EvinWizzle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer
360. end thread
EvinWizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
t-rud349
Maybe Next year...

t-rud349 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Plain and simple:

What do your peers have?

I like sports games and games like GTA and Saints Row. I already know that Saints Row 2 is coming out on PS3 too, so the games arn't a big factor. All my friends own 360s, but I'm in college so it doesn't really matter, and my friend has had to replace his 360 3 times so that makes me hesitant on wanting to get one.
t-rud349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rud349
I like sports games and games like GTA and Saints Row. I already know that Saints Row 2 is coming out on PS3 too, so the games arn't a big factor. All my friends own 360s, but I'm in college so it doesn't really matter, and my friend has had to replace his 360 3 times so that makes me hesitant on wanting to get one.

If your friends already have a 360, wouldn't you enjoy playing with them in either co-op or verses? Especially when you are further away?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Get a PS3 and spare yourself the hassle of the ring of death.

Plus you can watch Blue Rays.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
˘ross√er
I trust me!

˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Plain and simple:

What do your peers have?

I'm done listening to this advice, sorry Sonic you're a big help and a great poster but I simply disagree and I will intervene.

Get a PS3, that's the best decision I have ever made.

1) It's a hell of a lot more reliable, for the money you're spending you want that piece of mind.
2) It's the future, the Blu-Ray technology is evolutionary. The movies look so crispt on it, and that's me watching it on 480i. Imagine how they'd look on 1080p. I mean PS3 I bought for 500 bucks for a 80GB, with backward compatibility. I basically bought a system for 200 bucks, because any half decent Blu-Ray player is worth around 200-300 bucks anyway.
3) While 360 does have more games, not necessarily better games. I mean outside of the GTA4 that are on both consoles, PS3 does have the best game (Metal Gear Solid: Guns of Patriots) that is only on PS3. That game is better then anything that 360 has to offer, IMO.
4)PS3 engine is a lot more silent, 360 is too loud for my taste and the exterior isn't nearly as attractive as a PS3.

Bottom line here, you'll spend 100 or 50 bucks less on a 360 (depending on the console you decide to purchase), and you'll get a system that does have a greater library and a more interactive online play. But you won't get that piece of mind, Blu-Ray player and eventually you will sell you 360 for a PS3 because eventually I have no doubt it will surpass 360. That is if you simply don't buy it for the fact you get tired of sending your 360 to Microsoft every 2 months because of the red ring of death, and wait a month before you get it back. It's a hassle that you don't really want, when you have a PS3 available on the shelves.

I had both consoles, and I definitely recommend the PS3.
˘ross√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
˘ross√er
I trust me!

˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster˘ross√er is a pretty well-respected poster

If you have a high-Def TV and are in college, wouldn't you want a Blu-Ray player to watch movies and stuff? I know this from experience, but most of the time when I'm dead tired from classes all I like to do is make some popcorn and Sushi, and watch movies with my girl at the dorm.
˘ross√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ˘ross√er
I'm done listening to this advice, sorry Sonic you're a big help and a great poster but I simply disagree and I will intervene.

Get a PS3, that's the best decision I have ever made.

1) It's a hell of a lot more reliable, for the money you're spending you want that piece of mind.
2) It's the future, the Blu-Ray technology is evolutionary. The movies look so crispt on it, and that's me watching it on 480i. Imagine how they'd look on 1080p. I mean PS3 I bought for 500 bucks for a 80GB, with backward compatibility. I basically bought a system for 200 bucks, because any half decent Blu-Ray player is worth around 200-300 bucks anyway.
3) While 360 does have more games, not necessarily better games. I mean outside of the GTA4 that are on both consoles, PS3 does have the best game (Metal Gear Solid: Guns of Patriots) that is only on PS3. That game is better then anything that 360 has to offer, IMO.
4)PS3 engine is a lot more silent, 360 is too loud for my taste and the exterior isn't nearly as attractive as a PS3.

Bottom line here, you'll spend 100 or 50 bucks less on a 360 (depending on the console you decide to purchase), and you'll get a system that does have a greater library and a more interactive online play. But you won't get that piece of mind, Blu-Ray player and eventually you will sell you 360 for a PS3 because eventually I have no doubt it will surpass 360. That is if you simply don't buy it for the fact you get tired of sending your 360 to Microsoft every 2 months because of the red ring of death, and wait a month before you get it back. It's a hassle that you don't really want, when you have a PS3 available on the shelves.

I had both consoles, and I definitely recommend the PS3.

IF the main purpose is in fact watching movies (ie blu-ray) I would suggest getting a PlayStation 3 for sure.

The fact is that the PS3 is suffering in the deliverence of software. Developers are not embracing the advanced cell processer (all 7 of them!) as it is very difficult to program for. The install base is marginal at best worldwide and exclusive titles are next to none. Metal Gear Solid is NOT a system seller. Even in Japan, Sony's home land, the PS3 lacks both consumer support and developer support. Huge titles such as Final Fantasy will see it appear on both consoles. Developers are actually favoring the Nintendo DS right now as it has the largest install base Worldwide. Japan is not too keen on Microsoft but the 360 is getting substantial market share in Japan where the original Xbox was a joke in that country.

I have EVERY console so I am not biased. PlayStation 2 was my absoulte favorite console last gen (still love it today). It pains me to see the PS3 struggle like it is. With that I still wait for Gran Turismo 5 (the BEST racing franchise - Fuc forza).

As I had just said, if movie viewing is the main objective, then I would highly recommend getting a PS3. Most triple A titles are on both consoles anyways. But from a perspective of install base, online interface, and exclusive titles, as well as the mainstream triple A big box titles, the Xbox 360 can fulfill very well.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

PS3.

Xbox does have better online play currently, but Sony is about to step it up.

Rumors is Sony is trying to create a network capable of hosting matches between players with as many as 100 players. That would be like playing CoD4... only 50 vs. 50.

I'm bias of course. Been a PS fan since Day 1. What's weird is that the PS1 and PS2 were known for having tons of software.... and now this seems to be the weakness of the PS3.

I also prefer the PS controllers, and the PS3 is so sexy! I like to polish it up every now and then so it shines when I walk in the room.

oh and I'm with Sonic; thoughts of GT5 makes me moiste. Already beat the Prologue.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Styl3zT
High school junior varsity star

Styl3zT has an OK reputation so far

I personally have a PS3 myself and I have lots of experience with the 360 too because some of my friend has/"had" one. I would definitely recommend the ps3. People that say online with 360 is better online is completely bs ing. In terms of playing people online it's the same thing unless you have slow internet. Unless you are talking about the online "features" the xbox has more to offer than the ps3. But that is changing soon as the Playstation "HOME" is coming out.

In terms on the library of games. I LOVED HALO, when the 360 came out I was going to get it because of that game. But I'm glad I didn't. I got the ps3 and my first game was resistance: fall of man, not many people played that game as much as halo online because it was relatively new at that point and not as popular but I had a blast, for me its as fun as halo. Then I look at the 360 library now..halo series..gears of war..gta4...compared to resistance 2 (60 online multiplayer) Killzone 2, MetalGear, LittleBigPLanet, seems like I'm going to have better games on the ps3 sooner or later and its more future proof with blu ray. Games might end up being 2 disc dvds on 360..yikes, changing disc halfway into the story while sitting comfortably in your couch for an hour.

Anyways, I love both systems and I have a friend that gone through 4 360s already. I would definitely choose ps3 over 360 as it has a better library of games coming soon, better online/free online soon, and blu-ray.

although 360 is only 200 bucks now you can get one. I mean buying a console for 3 month and enjoying it before it breaks wouldnt be "that" much of a waste of money. only like 66 dollars a month
Styl3zT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The 360 has better online functionality, better graphics and a bigger amount of good games.

The PS3 has blue ray, console is better value and the online is free.

Take your pick.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

THe reason I favor 360 online in a raw perspective, is well, it has a higher install base. All my friends have it, my co-workers have it as well. I don't play with people I don't know (unless its Senko no Ronde)… and the PS3 install base is far much smaller

Quote:
Games might end up being 2 disc dvds on 360..yikes, changing disc halfway into the story while sitting comfortably in your couch for an hour.

Been doing multi-disc games since original PlayStation…
and 360 already has multi-disc games (Blue Dragon-3 disc, Lost Odyssey-4 disc) and hmmmm its Mistwalker games (of Final Fanstay VII fame)

In the end, it is going to lie in the hand of the developers and they will put their games on the consoles with the highest install base - world wide.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

PS3 definitely. In my eyes, PS3 has so much more upside than 360. The machine itself is far more powerful, the graphics look far better to me, there are some great exclusive titles like the upcoming Gran Turismo and the new Metal Gear game, but I cant really think of a single exclusive Xbox title that I feel that I cant live without. I think the ps3 is a bit more reliable in general as well. It definitely lacks as far as online capabilities are concerned, but fortunately this is something which will change with time, because the nature of this problem lies not with the PS3 console itself, but rather with the PS3 online servers. The new Playstation network is going to be a lot like xbox live, except FREE :)
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: