Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far
Default 2008-2009 Raptors Predictions

I know it's hard to judge all this for one team but here goes!

Team MVP
Obviously I have to pick Chris Bosh as the team's MVP! He's simply the best player on the team, he'll lead the team in most categories. The Raptors are also HIS team, so everything goes by him, where Bosh goes the Raptors will follow.

Break-out player
I'll go with the unpopular vote on this one, Andrea Bargnani. I still see so much potential in this kid and when he'll find his ideal situation he might become half of what we all expected. He'll benefit as much as Bosh from the addition of O'neal in the line-up. He'll basically become the 6th man but when playing in place of #4, he'll be playing PF and will be able to stretch the diffense to the outside. Kapono and Moon would also be good choices; Kapono will find himself wide-open for that deadly three when Bosh and O'neal patrol the inside of the paint. As for Moon, if he can improve of last years season, he might find himself to be a key asset to the team.

Biggest disappointment
Coaching. I am not a fan of Sam Mitchell. He's done respectable work for the team but in my eyes he's a glorified assistant coach. He's very good with young players and he's emotional but he shows no knowledge of the game. The X's and O's are a vitale part for a team like the Raptors, enough with coming out of time-outs and getting consistantly beat on the play.

Defensive Player of the Year
Jermaine O'Neal is my choice, if at 100% he'll be a monster in the paint for the Raptors. He'll be grabbing boards like no other center we've seen in years, he'll become a huge presence inside the paint and plug the biggest hole in our defense.

6th man of the year
I know this one's far fetched but by looking at different updated depth charts have Roko Ukic, Hassan Adams, Jason Kapono, Kris Humphries and Andrea Bargnani as the players coming off the bench this season.
Andrea Bargnani is my pick... see above...

Biggest surprise
The Raptors get to the Eastern conference finals!!! The Raptors are a team that can cause quite a stir in the playoffs, the teams foundations are nearly complete, and if someone can step up and fill that void at the 3 spot, with the right coaching Toronto could actually give the eastern conference a scare.

GM's move of the year
I'm convinced a coaching move is coming, like I said before I don't like Sam Mitchell. I also beleive that Brian Colangelo is close to pulling the plug on Mitchell. I can't really provide any names but as long as the new coach can give direction and valid instructions on the court, the Raptors will be better off.

Eastern conference Standings
1. Boston Celtics
2. Orlando Magic
3. Detroit Pistons
4. Cleveland Cavaliers
5. Philadelphia 76ers
6. Toronto Raptors
7. Miami Heat
8. Washington Wizards

League MVP
Lebron James

NBA Rookie of the year
Michael Beasley

I hope you guys can give us your own picks and reasoning (I didn't provide much of that).

Last edited by pocketWs : 09-10-2008 at 09:21 AM.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: 2008-2009 Raptors Predictions

Miami ?

Ughhhh no....
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

1. Boston Celtics
2. Orlando Magic
3. Cleveland Cavaliers
4. Toronto Raptors
5. Philadelphia 76ers
6. Detroit Pistons
7. Washington Wizards
8. Miami Heat

I have a feeling that Detroit is going to slip quite a bit this season. Still a playoff team, but not as good as they were in '04. I put Miami in 8 because I believe they will test out the Wade-Marion-Beasley combo. Might bring in Marcus Banks into the starting line-up at the beginning of the season or will make a last attempt to sign Chris Quinn. But without that leadoff PG, Miami won't have that get up and go to be a top seed.

I put Toronto above Philly for one main reason, the dynamic duo of Bosh and O'Neal could be a devastating front court. Don't get me wrong, Dalembert and Brand is good, but with Dalmebert's bad summer coming off leaving Team Canada and having an even more smaller role now that Brand is in there, they don't exactly have the same offensive touch as the raps do up court.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
I put Toronto above Philly for one main reason, the dynamic duo of Bosh and O'Neal could be a devastating front court. Don't get me wrong, Dalembert and Brand is good, but with Dalmebert's bad summer coming off leaving Team Canada and having an even more smaller role now that Brand is in there, they don't exactly have the same offensive touch as the raps do up court.

Dre, Thad, Lou, Iggy >>>> Raps backcourt though.

As long as our post play doesn't limit ball movement, I think our O should be solid. JO has long been considered a black hole, and he takes a ton of jumpers, which doesn't compliment Bosh well. If one of them can stay on the low block (ideally JO), then I think it will be fine.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Detroit
4/5 Orlando Toronto
6. Philly
7. Washington
8. Atlanta

I think Philly played over their heads at the end of last year, low expectations meant they snuck up on people in the second half of the season. Brand will make them better, but I honestly dont think there better then the Raps. Especially now that they wont be sneaking up on people.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Dre, Thad, Lou, Iggy >>>> Raps backcourt though.

As long as our post play doesn't limit ball movement, I think our O should be solid. JO has long been considered a black hole, and he takes a ton of jumpers, which doesn't compliment Bosh well. If one of them can stay on the low block (ideally JO), then I think it will be fine.

Yes O'Neal's efficiency has worried me as well. However, it's well documented that Carlisle just dumped the ball into the post a large portion of Indiana's possessions.

His field goal attempts per game is really high during his prime years which hopefully will explain the lower percentages a bit
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

I know that having Kapono in will be a defensive liability for the raps but the thing is, he might be able to exploit his 3-point potential this year considering JO and Bosh will clear it out for the kickout this season....

Parker will have a breakout year (in his own rights) to the point where he will get 13-14 PPG.

This could be Toronto's best chance at a chip. Thats not saying much but we gotta look towards the best.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

MVP
Bosh- hes our best player
Break-out player
Kapono-with Bosh and JO down low, he should get plenty of open shots
Biggest disappointment
Bench-our bench really isnt that strong, and we NEED to improve
Defensive Player of the Year
JO-our BIG problem last year was defending actual BIG men. When rasho went to the bench we had no one to guard the opposing teams' center
6th man of the year
Bargnani-last year he went up against starters, but this year he'll start out on the bench. i expect that he'll do better against backups than he did against starters
Biggest surprise
How this team turns out. We have lots of talent and great role players that know how to do their job. Jose passes, AP shoots, Jamario does the dirty work, Bosh is the superstar, JO is the defensive prescence/scorer/rebounder
GM's move of the year
Improving our bench
Eastern conference Standings
1.Boston
2.Detroit
3.Cavs
4.Magic
5.Phili
6.Toronto
7.Washington
8.Miami
League MVPLBJ
Rookie of the Year(i dont see why most people are voting for OJ)Michael Beas(t)ly
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
MVP
Bosh- hes our best player
Quote:
Bench-our bench really isnt that strong, and we NEED to improve

since when were you a raptors fan?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Team MVP - Bosh
Breakout Player - Joey G!!!!
Biggest disappointment - Moon still not taking to the hole... hard to change habits.
Defensive player - JO
6th Man - Bargs
Biggest Surprise - Calderon to allstar! N. Jawai gonna surprise a few too
GM's move of the year - JO deal
League MVP - LBJ
ROY - Greg Oden
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
since when were you a raptors fan?
im not a HUGE raptors fan like most of you and im not a bandwagoner either but i've been liking the raps for a while now. one of my fave players in the L is Bosh and i've been liking Kapono since he was in Miami. So i guess you can call me a secret fan of this team.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: