Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Maniak
Feminist Homewrecker
 
Maniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TJ Warren Fanclub
Posts: 27,384
Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Jamario Moon

What do you guys think of him and how he will impact the Raptors in these coming years?

Numbers, dunk contest results, etc.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,664
Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Jamario Moon

I think he can be a 10 & 6.5 player in 28-30 minutes per game. Nothing spectacular but a solid starter.

He is 28 so it is very unlikely that he is all of a sudden going to improve his handles or his jump shot. If he could have, he would have by now. The areas where you will see him improve is in things like shot selection, help D, and just overall bball IQ. Mental and intangible things are areas where I hope he will make progress rather than any actual skills.

With Parker on the decline, Moon will probably be the best perimeter defender on the Raptors next season. That is why I want him to stay in that starting lineup. Kapono can shoot and all but not being able to defend a single starting opposing SF is a big hole in his game. Moon will be the roamer this season getting open mid-range shots and plenty offensive rebound opportunities with the focus on Bosh and O'Neal.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think he can be a 10 & 6.5 player in 28-30 minutes per game. Nothing spectacular but a solid starter.

He is 28 so it is very unlikely that he is all of a sudden going to improve his handles or his jump shot. If he could have, he would have by now. The areas where you will see him improve is in things like shot selection, help D, and just overall bball IQ. Mental and intangible things are areas where I hope he will make progress rather than any actual skills.

With Parker on the decline, Moon will probably be the best perimeter defender on the Raptors next season. That is why I want him to stay in that starting lineup. Kapono can shoot and all but not being able to defend a single starting opposing SF is a big hole in his game. Moon will be the roamer this season getting open mid-range shots and plenty offensive rebound opportunities with the focus on Bosh and O'Neal.

I do think we need a permiter defender at the 2-3 Kapono not the offensive scorer but a solid defender because Parker is aging and Kapono can't guard s*** and with our backcourt were gonna get killed by teams that have a good backcourt.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
T-Low
College superstar
 
T-Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,655
T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I do think we need a permiter defender at the 2-3 Kapono not the offensive scorer but a solid defender because Parker is aging and Kapono can't guard s*** and with our backcourt were gonna get killed by teams that have a good backcourt.

We are certainly aging...*cough*Moon*cough*
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,856
Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Jamario Moon

For me ..I'm pretty happy with Moon's defensive game ..it's his offense he needs too work on , especially driving to the hole...if he would take it to the hole more often he would change the out look of the Raps , but his tendency to want to take jump shots not only hurts his game it under utilizes his God given abilities.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Maniak
Feminist Homewrecker
 
Maniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TJ Warren Fanclub
Posts: 27,384
Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Jamario Moon

yeah

he needs to learn to put the ball on the floor and his overall handles, if he does itll help him ALOT
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
b4ball
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,146
b4ball has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jamario Moon

What we need that Moon can't deliver is perimiter defense. So who cares what else he can do? Anybody with minutes contributes something, but what they contribute need's to match the teams need's, and Moon does not fit this teams needs with his abilities. Moon is cheap, that's where is value is.

This is why Mo Pete was so valuable to us, he could shoot, would drive to the basketball and played excellent perimiter defense.

A Peterson type player with Bosh and a healthy JO to me would be a top shelf front court.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
bballnoob
Decent college freshman
 
bballnoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,921
bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
What we need that Moon can't deliver is perimiter defense. So who cares what else he can do? Anybody with minutes contributes something, but what they contribute need's to match the teams need's, and Moon does not fit this teams needs with his abilities. Moon is cheap, that's where is value is.

This is why Mo Pete was so valuable to us, he could shoot, would drive to the basketball and played excellent perimiter defense.

A Peterson type player with Bosh and a healthy JO to me would be a top shelf front court.

Yeah I was hoping we would retain Mo just based on what he would give us for that cost compared to what else was out there at the FA market. Obviously there was Posey and a lot of people (including myself) felt that Pietrus was a good investment but I think keeping Mo wouldn't have been a bad move. Trouble now with having Kapono is he doesn't have much versatility, he's basically a 25 mpg max player at only one position.

However, if Moon can learn to finish at the rim stronger and not take threes, I'd be fine with having him starting. These things are not out of the question, I'm not hoping for miracles with his jumpshot or handles.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman
 
Dr.Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,928
Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Jamario Moon

This season I hope Moon takes more shots and more threes.

I think his jumper is very underrated and when he is under control he has a very nice jumper with great form.

Personally I think Moon is going to take the biggest step forward this season. People say that he is already 28 and such so if he hasn't learned it by now he won't learn it, well that couldn't be further from the truth.

Moon has never been in a place where he was taught. He been bopuncing from league to league to league. Never stayed in one place. He had to concern himself with just finding a job. Now that he has a secured job and it is at the highest level of basketball working with the best teachers for basketball, he can learn stuff that he never had the oppertunity to learn before.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,665
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Moon's jumpshot improved every month of the season, and he found his range and stopped shooting that many 3s. It's his handles that needs work, if he could get better handles, he can take a big step forward...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
b4ball
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,146
b4ball has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
This season I hope Moon takes more shots and more threes.

I think his jumper is very underrated and when he is under control he has a very nice jumper with great form.

Personally I think Moon is going to take the biggest step forward this season. People say that he is already 28 and such so if he hasn't learned it by now he won't learn it, well that couldn't be further from the truth.

Moon has never been in a place where he was taught. He been bopuncing from league to league to league. Never stayed in one place. He had to concern himself with just finding a job. Now that he has a secured job and it is at the highest level of basketball working with the best teachers for basketball, he can learn stuff that he never had the oppertunity to learn before.

Wow, just Wow.

If you want more shots why not ask the leading three point percentage player two years running in the NBA, THAT HAPPENS TO BE ON YOUR TEAM.

The reason he has bounced around is because he's not that good. And his secured job, as you call it, is a one year minimum guaranteed contract.

And his teacher is Sam Mitchell!!

Now you may like Moon and really, really hope hope he has a good year. Everybody roots for the underdog, but the underdog rarely wins, and he won last year. To expect him to win again and improve, not on what he already does relatively well, but on what the team needs, well good money tells you that's a bad bet.

Perimiter defending is what this team needs, and he's not very good at it. And that's why Kapono is not likely to start either. If either of those guys starts, that will only further highlight the need for that Bargnani trade that and a lot of Raptors fans feel is required to get to the next level to find that player. What is for sure, is that Moon is not that guy.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,696
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Moon to me is at best a decent role player. No way he should be near a team's 4th best player....that concerns me.

I actually hated Mo Pete....hate is a strong word, but I wasn't a fan. However, he would ironically be IDEAL for us to start at the 2 with Moon at 3 or at the 3 with AP.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,856
Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Moon to me is at best a decent role player. No way he should be near a team's 4th best player....that concerns me.

I actually hated Mo Pete....hate is a strong word, but I wasn't a fan. However, he would ironically be IDEAL for us to start at the 2 with Moon at 3 or at the 3 with AP.
Yeah..Mo Pete's perimeter defense would be ideal for the latest version of the Raptors..now that N.O got Posey ..does that make Mo expendable?
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jamario Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Yeah..Mo Pete's perimeter defense would be ideal for the latest version of the Raptors..now that N.O got Posey ..does that make Mo expendable?

i don't think that mo pete is expendable for the hornets there depth looks really weak and even if posey started there bench would look like this mo pete, wright, bowen, ely, james...etc mo pete will be a starter or the main guy off the bench.

even if mo pete was avaliable we would have no assets for him other than j.kapp because of our salary cap
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #15
Burgz
Banned
 
Burgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: TDOT
Posts: 1,884
Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board
Default Re: Jamario Moon

his best case scenario at his peak would be a shawn marion type
taking maybe 3or 4 jumpshots a game
not that he cant shoot, hes decent, i just think his talents should be focus elsewhere where we need it like the boards and defense
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy