Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default A what if question (not a trade idea at all!)

this is just a question of how confident you guys would be in this roster.

What if the lakers did a Bynum for Marion trade? Would the lakers win the championship against the celtics with this lineup?

Fisher
Kobe
Marion
Odom
Pau Gasol
-----------------------

Once again this is NOT A TRADE IDEA....DONT BASH ME. This is a question to see how you guys feel about Odom at the 4 and Pau at the 5.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Kobe4life
Banned

Default Re: A what if question (not a trade idea at all!)

we almost won without bynum im sure marion would've helped us win forsure in the finals
Kobe4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I am gonna bash you anyway... just cuz its fun...

j/k

I think that we are underestimating what a healthy Bynum will be able to do for the Lakers. If the Lakers (in your scenario) trade him for Marion, the inside presence would be lacking. I think the Lakers would have the same problems as they did last season with respect to getting to a true title, which is they are soft in the middle when it comes to a championship series. Bynum fixes that, Marion does not.

Thats just my opinion and I am sure others differ.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

it would be a good lineup, probably better then we'll be with bynum, not because bynum is lacking on defense but because marion would bring alot to the sf position. it would be a much faster team too...

bynum and pau are almost redundant on the floor neither is a bruiser on either end both play a finesse game, both get pushed off the blocks easily, pau has a better back to the rim game so far and generally more moves than bynum does... and i think pau is a little faster than bynum...

stop and think, last finals if we had had bynum and pau who would have gaurded pierce? it wasn't the paint the lakers were ultimatley beat by it was the sf spot, the lakers really have not addressed that spot this off season
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
it would be a good lineup, probably better then we'll be with bynum, not because bynum is lacking on defense but because marion would bring alot to the sf position. it would be a much faster team too...

bynum and pau are almost redundant on the floor neither is a bruiser on either end both play a finesse game, both get pushed off the blocks easily, pau has a better back to the rim game so far and generally more moves than bynum does... and i think pau is a little faster than bynum...

stop and think, last finals if we had had bynum and pau who would have gaurded pierce? it wasn't the paint the lakers were ultimatley beat by it was the sf spot, the lakers really have not addressed that spot this off season

think how many time pierce got to rim.. with kobe-dfish-odom knowing Bynum-Gasol are at the rim they can close in a little more on the 3 and if they get beaten gasol and especially bynum affect 95% of to the rim shots + bynum would of got celts bigs in the foul trouble
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
big baller
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe=MVP07`
think how many time pierce got to rim.. with kobe-dfish-odom knowing Bynum-Gasol are at the rim they can close in a little more on the 3 and if they get beaten gasol and especially bynum affect 95% of to the rim shots + bynum would of got celts bigs in the foul trouble

very good point, i agree with u 110%.
big baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

My response to that would be 2 words: Vladimir Radmanovic.

I would never trust him on the other team's best perimeter penetrator.

I believe the lakers haven't addressed that issue at all because they believe ariza will come in as that defensive stopper. Since he wont be rusted anymore, hopefully he can abuse small forwards at both ends of the court. hes talented. Make guys like pierce play defense and on the other end, make it much difficult for him to make a decision.

Bynum is more of an inside presence since he has somewhat of a back to the basket game, and when he improves in that area, he can be the bruiser we want (and need actually).
Old 09-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I don't think Bynum and Pau have to be redundant... Bynum plays the low post and Pau is more comfortable in the high post.

The key is that with the current Laker team make up, they do have options and flexiblity on how to deploy those players to best match up against teams.

I think with Marion, you have less flexibility.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I don't think Bynum and Pau have to be redundant... Bynum plays the low post and Pau is more comfortable in the high post.

The key is that with the current Laker team make up, they do have options and flexiblity on how to deploy those players to best match up against teams.

I think with Marion, you have less flexibility.

can pau/bynum play out past the paint though? that's one problem the lakers will have is to much congestion in the paint, typically the center stays just out of the paint weak side then slash's to strong side or rotates over when a sf or gaurd flash's towrds the rim, with 2 seven footers the lanes will get clogged up unless one of them moves out of their comfort zone...

i have had misgivings about this twin towers idea for quite sometime, it never has worked in the triangle to even moderate success yet.

the triangle is all about spacing and you can't have the proper spacing and have two big guys on the floor who can't operate more than 10 feet away from the rim

Last edited by gts : 09-14-2008 at 02:05 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

I really like Bynum for you guys, but your giving him way too much credibility on defense.

You seriously think Lebron, Pierce, T-Mac and all the other number of strong SFs in the league will get stopped by Bynum's presence?

When you look back on last year, the majority of fouls wasn't deep in the lane. It was Odom, Ariza, and especially Radmanovic getting ticky tack fouls out on the perimiter and high key area while the player was making their initial move to get to the basket because they are plain faster than the defense. So how does Bynum help in this area?

Forget Marion... I'd more like to see a trade for Battier.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

better lineup than last season, obviously. championship caliber.
however, I would prefer a legit center because have I little confidence in Gasol.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Oh, BTW, when I said make a trade for Battier, I wasn't talking about trading Bynum.

Im just saying they need serious help at the SF and perimiter defensive rotation as a whole. There is going to be alot of games where Odom, Radmonovic, Ariza, and Walton just look stupid on defense.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
I really like Bynum for you guys, but your giving him way too much credibility on defense.

You seriously think Lebron, Pierce, T-Mac and all the other number of strong SFs in the league will get stopped by Bynum's presence?

When you look back on last year, the majority of fouls wasn't deep in the lane. It was Odom, Ariza, and especially Radmanovic getting ticky tack fouls out on the perimiter and high key area while the player was making their initial move to get to the basket because they are plain faster than the defense. So how does Bynum help in this area?

Forget Marion... I'd more like to see a trade for Battier.

Noone can stop Lebron, Pierce, or any of those other guys but you can make it harder for them. Tony Parker struggled against the lakers because his shots would get blocked or altered by drew since he goes for those little tear drops all the time.

Bynum would help by getting more rebounds because he is very big and strong and lots of his points came from offensive boards and put backs. He makes the game so much easier for guys like Kobe. Kobe literally threw the ball at the area of the rim and always expected Bynum to catch and dunk and it happened most of the time. He gives us another scoring option. After all he was the league leader in FG%.

Battier would be a good fit for the lakers. I love him but i have confidence in trevor ariza that he could be huge for us on both ends of the floor this year.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

I think the Lakers would have won, had they had Marion. He would have plugged up many of the faulty decisions that VladRad and Walton were making.

For example, Vlad just allowing Pierce to saunter into the lane and have a clear layup. I dont see that being allowed if Marion was there. The Matrix's defence is waaaay better than Vladies.

I understand what Lakerfreak is trying to say.. Not a trade of Bynum for Marion..

But simply a "what if we had marion last season..."
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

i think we'll be a better team this year with bynum back than we would with marion and no bynum.

our problem in the finals wasn't just a lacking of a perimeter stopper. we kept getting pushed out of post spots by perkins and garnett.

and pau can certainly play outside the paint. i think congestion is not going to be a problem for this team...with pau at the high post and bynum in the low post that opens up room for slashers plenty.

pau and bynum aren't the same players at all, outside of both having a nice touch near the hoop.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: