Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Default Re: A what if question (not a trade idea at all!)

yeah, Theres no way we would of NOT WON....

Pluggin in marion instead of Radman would make us a WAY better team... There is no way we would of lost...

but with Bynum... it's like bringing out your secret weapon... I really cant wait till next season... Bynum,LO & Gasol will OWN that paint.. I'm talking about OWNIN that paint... There is no team that can come in and bang with us down low..

I just dont feel that spacing will be a problem, Gasol can play outside of the paint& so can LO... But, I can just see us having all 3 in the paint, and we would just dominate the glass...
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
this is just a question of how confident you guys would be in this roster.

What if the lakers did a Bynum for Marion trade? Would the lakers win the championship against the celtics with this lineup?

Fisher
Kobe
Marion
Odom
Pau Gasol

Marion would have brought a whole different element to the Lakers of last year. Though I dont think he is a great man defender, he is a definite upgrade of Luke and Vlad. Offensively, he is far more consistent than Vlad. It would have been more difficult on defense for the Celtics to defend both Kobe and Marion on the perimeter. So I think Marion is too big of an up grade for us to not have won the title. But I think Kobe/Lo/Gasol/Bynum is superior and would have done better than that team bc the paint wouldnt have been penetrated as easily
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

The way I see it, there will be games where Bynum needs to act like a ben wallace for us. Where he has to se all his energy to make sure the paint is shut down.

Offensively we are okay, and if Bynum sacrificed his offensive game, he would still get 10 plus points because of the opportunities that will be presented to him. Sometimes the best thing for a team though is when the center is feeling "hot" defensively.

When the mavericks would dominate games last year or the year before, it was because Dampier would start doing the job defensively and even Dirk commented on it saying they're a much better team when he does that.

Pau was a black hole for us in the finals on defense....players literally showed pau the 100 different ways he could be penetrated. Most of that was vladi's fault though but even moreso phil's fault because Phil stuck Vladi on him in the first place and refused to make any changes other than putting Kobe on Rondo which was a very overrated thing to do.

Kobe was our best perimeter defender and he put him on basically the number 5 option on the celts.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
i think we'll be a better team this year with bynum back than we would with marion and no bynum.

our problem in the finals wasn't just a lacking of a perimeter stopper. we kept getting pushed out of post spots by perkins and garnett.

and pau can certainly play outside the paint. i think congestion is not going to be a problem for this team...with pau at the high post and bynum in the low post that opens up room for slashers plenty.

pau and bynum aren't the same players at all, outside of both having a nice touch near the hoop.

I completely agree with this, and with what SoCal said earlier.
I'm also a little suprised by the lack of support for Bynum.

If you look at Bynum's numbers from about mid-Nov until the injury, I think you'll see that he averaged about 17-11 during that span.
He also shot close to 70%, passed the ball well and blocked almost 2 shots per game. All at 20 years of age.

Compare AB's stats at 20 to those of Dwight Howard at the same age, his second NBA season. (Remember, DW was a year older out of high school than Drew). I believe Drew's numbers are right there, and may actually surpass Dwight's when you look at turnovers, blocked shots and assists.
And Drew got no where near the touches that DW got. (This can be a plus and a minus).

I'm not saying Drew is superior or even equal to DW, yet, but I do believe he is on his way to stardom. We need to hope that he can remain healthy and continue to develope and learn.

Defensively, the Lakers were a much better team in winter (with AB at the center), than we were with Pau there.
That's not a knock on Pau, it's not his game. With AB back, Pau will play the 4 which I believe better suits his game, at least for what this team needs.
I don't believe a team with Pau as the main 5 would ever win a title, for the reasons which Lakerfreak explains above.
But a team with AB at the 5 will win the title.

I think had we had Bynum during the finals, we would have won, so forget about Marion. I think Bynum and Pau can play together well, but what's going to be really dangerous is the versitility they give us.

The Paul, LO, Vlad line got us to the finals.
The Bynum, LO, Ariza line looked great until the injury's, and I think this more defensive oriented line would have made us more dangerous in the finals.

These are now our 2nd unit front lines.
That's amazing.

I like Marion, and I'd love to have him on this team.
He would give us everything that we lacked in the finals at the 3.
But, it will take LO tho get him, and I think that at least for now, the Lakers want to see what this big front line looks like together, plus the versitility LO brings. Plus, we may very well have a younger and less expensive Marion with Ariza, so we want to see how he developes.

I do think that if the Lakers struggle with this unit, we may revisit an LO for Marion deal, later in the season.

But guys, Bynum is a beast, who is only going to become more and more dominant. To me, he's easily the 2nd most valuable asset on our team, well ahead of Gasol.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
gts
Sons of Antartica

bump from what we were discussing one year ago..
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
bump from what we were discussing one year ago..

I wonder what the lineup would be like if Artest and Odom started with Pau at center.

a quick lineup I'd imagine on both ends right?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Always fun looking back.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #23
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I think that we are underestimating what a healthy Bynum will be able to do for the Lakers. If the Lakers (in your scenario) trade him for Marion, the inside presence would be lacking. I think the Lakers would have the same problems as they did last season with respect to getting to a true title, which is they are soft in the middle when it comes to a championship series. Bynum fixes that, Marion does not.

Thats just my opinion and I am sure others differ.

I got love for you socal(In a homo way.lmaoo jk)

Now a healthy Bynum probablly would have fixed that.. but
If we would have had marion at the 3, forget about it. I highly DOUBT we would have lost in the finals. why?

Because matrix can play the 4. So can lamar, and so can pau. Pau can play the 5.

Now, with that said, with having those 3 on the floor, we could have went with 1 center and 2 power forwards at the same time, 3 guys who can grab you 10+ rebounds.
Would have solved that rebounding issue

When pau went to the bench we could have went LO and Matrix and brought in ariza and then took out marion and had LO,Turiaf,Matrix.

It would have been TOOO MANY WEAPONS and ADD to the fact that Marion would have helped out and guarded pierce. Now I was going to get onto the sf spot, but it pretty much got covered here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

stop and think, last finals if we had had bynum and pau who would have gaurded pierce? it wasn't the paint the lakers were ultimatley beat by it was the sf spot, the lakers really have not addressed that spot this off season

Although, I do think the PAINT, was a problem for us as well. Add marion, a guy who plays IN THE PAINT, and can play like a Big, and that problem is almost solved.

Now, What I love about artest is he can also play the 4. So when we have the lamar,artest,pau line up, Artest makes up for lo and pau not being so much of a banger. man thinking about this makes me happpy!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #24
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
yeah, Theres no way we would of NOT WON....

Pluggin in marion instead of Radman would make us a WAY better team... There is no way we would of lost...

but with Bynum... it's like bringing out your secret weapon... I really cant wait till next season... Bynum,LO & Gasol will OWN that paint.. I'm talking about OWNIN that paint... There is no team that can come in and bang with us down low..

I just dont feel that spacing will be a problem, Gasol can play outside of the paint& so can LO... But, I can just see us having all 3 in the paint, and we would just dominate the glass...

wow.

This is a very,very, very smart man.

Nice post!

reppped!!!

lol
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #25
SCV42
Buck Foston

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
can pau/bynum play out past the paint though?

Pau can. Bynum not so much. Make it rain, Gasol....

...Make it rain.......
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Wow, dissed from posts a long time ago... (still repped) lol

I am still glad the Lakers did not try to get Marion, especially in hindsight.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #27
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

lol, I read freaks OP and thought he made it today and was like whyyy woulddd we dooo thatttt! LOL Happy we didnt acquire him though
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #28
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

lmaooo...

I know, I was trippin! I thought this thread was made like today!!!

I thought thats wierd.. why are we bringing this up now? we have artest now?

and BTW.. It was not a trade idea!

LO>Marion! allday everyday! :)
Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #29
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

Trade scenario

Lakers : Josh Powell

for

Sparks : Candace Parker

?
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #30
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryToBeUnbias
Trade scenario

Lakers : Josh Powell

for

Sparks : Candace Parker

?

lmaoooo...

Naww..

Lets do Josh powell+Mbenga for .....

MEAN JOHN! :)