Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

Get out d'salami has an OK reputation so far
Default Should raps go after Matt Harpring?

I was just thinking about this last night...why not depending who we draft but matt can guard 2/3's even some 4's and he has a good jump shot, great rebounding, great defense, tough competetor, and high basketball IQ. IT makes sence to me plus I dont think he would get offered all that much from any other teams. I feel he would be a great back-up to mo-pete and charlie and would really help give the raptors and edge. Just wondering what you all think i was thinking like a 3 year deal around 15mill same type as mo pete got. Thanks guys
Get out d'salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

Just some small questions on my part first.

1. Is he a FA?
2. Is his contract good, bad, or in the middle?
3. How were his stats last year compared to his best years?
4. How old is he?
5. How would the Raptors acquire him?

Sorry, I'd check the answers on a few but I'm doing a paper.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

1. Is he a FA?

Yes, he is a free agent

2. Is his contract good, bad, or in the middle?

Free agent

3. How were his stats last year compared to his best years?

last year
mpg fg% 3% ft% dr or tr apg spg bpg tpg pf ppg year
27.4 .475 .359 .725 2.2 3.0 5.2 1.4 .83 .20 1.54 2.80 12.5 05-06
32.8 .511 .413 .792 2.4 4.2 6.6 1.7 .94 .22 2.05 2.80 17.6 02-03

4. How old is he?

5. How would the Raptors acquire him?

Free agency
Old 06-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

sorry about the stats being hard to read....
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Always liked Harpring. Really solid white guy. Just as good as Shane Battier just older. Not sure why Utah doesn't resign him though. As good a roleplayer as you'll find, Utah likes him cause he is white and plays white, and he wouldn't realy have as good a combination of starting spot, team that he fits into, and money anywhere else.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

I'd love for Toronto to get Harpring. Good thinking. Hopefully he can come cheap to offset the one negative thing: his position is logjammed in Toronto.

He'd bring the Raptors the toughness they lost when Oakley left.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Faufner
Serious playground baller

Faufner has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Always liked Harpring. Really solid white guy. Just as good as Shane Battier just older. Not sure why Utah doesn't resign him though. As good a roleplayer as you'll find, Utah likes him cause he is white and plays white, and he wouldn't realy have as good a combination of starting spot, team that he fits into, and money anywhere else.

Umm, what?
Faufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

It all depends on the money, Matt Harpring has all the intangibles you could want in a backup forward, but if the money is too much for a team who needs to conserve it's capspace for a great piece at center, then he simply cannot come. A backup forward should not take precedent over a starting center, so while he would be a nice pickup, I wouldn't want to spend too much on him. Also, considering his age, one has to wonder whether or not he wants to get a four or five year deal done, something that wouldn't fit with the youthful Toronto Raptors.

There are way too many "What Ifs" to talk about signing the guy, I simply do not see any way that Harpring becomes a Toronto Raptor. I would lean to him staying in Utah or go and play for a title contender and chase some rings. He would be a great addition off the bench to a title contender.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

fair enough b ut he can also play som sg so like u all say depeneding o a lot of things but in the right situatioin depending on drafts and trades he might really fit in.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out d'salami
fair enough b ut he can also play som sg so like u all say depeneding o a lot of things but in the right situatioin depending on drafts and trades he might really fit in.

It would have to be the perfect situation for Toronto to invest the type of money he will be looking for into him. At this point, Toronto isn't ready to make that next step, and I think Harpring would help take a team to the next step. To invest the cash into Harpring, would most likely be a mistake.

It just isn't a good fit in my mind, I don't think I have to worry though, because it doesn't seem likely in real life.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Harpring wont help... atleast I don't think so... he is too stiff to play SG, and I don't know if we can trust his jumpshot, because all he did in Utah was lay-ups on the cut plays that Jerry Sloan designs... his jumpshot is solid to about 12 feet... after that is anybody's guess...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re:

I think the Pistons should go after him. He can bring some toughness off the bench, and he's a solid player. He could give Prince/Rasheed some rest as well.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Very good roleplayer for a contender. Giving him a two or three year contract for the MLE would seem like a smart investment. Houston could use him.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Well his jumpshot wouldn't really be neededin Toronto, they already have loads of scoring.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
Well his jumpshot wouldn't really be neededin Toronto, they already have loads of scoring.

This is the reason he wouldn't be a very good fit in Toronto. He brings alot of positives to a contending team, but wouldn't be a very good addition to a rebuilding team because he isn't at the peak of his career, nor is he developing. His veteran presence would be nice, but the Raptors can find a good veteran presence at a much cheaper price.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: