Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Default How Good Can/Will Brandon Rush Be? And How Soon?

Just wondering how good he will be... I didn't see a ton of him in college, I obviously saw him a lot as Memphis did quite well in last year's tourney, and outside of his outside prowess, and defensive intensity, I'm not sure what other areas of his game are polished.

How soon will he come in and contribute? Will he get heavy minutes to start out, or come in slowly like Granger did? I know he's 23 or so already, and has the body and the mind to come in and really be something right away.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: How Good Can/Will Brandon Rush Be? And How Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
Just wondering how good he will be... I didn't see a ton of him in college, I obviously saw him a lot as Memphis did quite well in last year's tourney, and outside of his outside prowess, and defensive intensity, I'm not sure what other areas of his game are polished.

How soon will he come in and contribute? Will he get heavy minutes to start out, or come in slowly like Granger did? I know he's 23 or so already, and has the body and the mind to come in and really be something right away.

Well he's definitely not going to be a star, but he's going to be the kind of player that every good/great/contending team needs to have:

Good perimeter shooting, man defense, and team-oriented play
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

His offensive style reminds me of Reggie. Great off ball movement, great off screens, not much to write home about with the ball in his hands. Of course that can be developed, look at Danny. I'll need to watch him more, especially at the pro level, to assess what I think of his passing, but right now I'm not impressed by it. That isn't to say he doesn't do it, he just doesn't seem much more than a catch and shoot guy at this point on the offensive end. Which of course fits our offense pretty well, but you always want a 2 to be multi-faceted (unless his name is Reggie).

I'm really not all that concerned about his offense, hit an open J when it's there. What I love, and what I think the front office also likes, is his defense. I think he can make a few All-D teams in his career, and I think in today's league perimeter defense is the single most needed asset to be successful, and Jack and Rush are pretty formidable there. I'd be surprised if he's ever more than a 14ppg or so guy (unless he's on a HORRIBLE team at some point), but that isn't where his value lies, it's the other side of the ball.

As far as how soon, he can contribute right away, he's one of the more NBA ready players from the draft, especially among the guards. I really expect to see major minutes from him, Daniels is going to be phased out and maybe moved (expirer) and it'll allow Dunleavy to move to a heavy minutes 6th man role to flourish.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
His offensive style reminds me of Reggie. Great off ball movement, great off screens, not much to write home about with the ball in his hands. Of course that can be developed, look at Danny. I'll need to watch him more, especially at the pro level, to assess what I think of his passing, but right now I'm not impressed by it. That isn't to say he doesn't do it, he just doesn't seem much more than a catch and shoot guy at this point on the offensive end. Which of course fits our offense pretty well, but you always want a 2 to be multi-faceted (unless his name is Reggie).

I'm really not all that concerned about his offense, hit an open J when it's there. What I love, and what I think the front office also likes, is his defense. I think he can make a few All-D teams in his career, and I think in today's league perimeter defense is the single most needed asset to be successful, and Jack and Rush are pretty formidable there. I'd be surprised if he's ever more than a 14ppg or so guy (unless he's on a HORRIBLE team at some point), but that isn't where his value lies, it's the other side of the ball.

As far as how soon, he can contribute right away, he's one of the more NBA ready players from the draft, especially among the guards. I really expect to see major minutes from him, Daniels is going to be phased out and maybe moved (expirer) and it'll allow Dunleavy to move to a heavy minutes 6th man role to flourish.
Nice post. Glad to see you back.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Nice post. Glad to see you back.

Yeah, been busy helping a buddy move, build a deck, putting together crappy IKEA bookshelves, and doing it all drunk.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

How drunk were you?

Were you .... This drunk?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Nah,

More like that drunk. I was pretty surprised how far you could shoot a nailgun.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

I think Rush will be more of a Eddie Jones type of player. I think we'll luck out if he turned out to be as good as Jones was during his prime
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
jbot
Future D1 Dad

the kid can definitely score but i think we'll have to wait and see for sure. this isn't college ball any more after all.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
jbot
Future D1 Dad

he better be better than bayless that's for damn sure! ya hear that, bird?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #11
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
How drunk were you?

Were you .... This drunk?

if that were lebowski, he'd have had his hand down his pants.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
he better be better than bayless that's for damn sure! ya hear that, bird?
Rush will be better than Bayless, in his overall career and 1st year of NBA. Bayless is clueless on defense. If Bayless is lucky, he'll be a Ben Gordon type of player (not enough passing skills to be a PG, too smal to be a SG).
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: