Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default If Bonzi Wells comes for the minimum, would you be for or against the move?

The luxury tax is a funny thing. Many teams don't want to cross it, because they have to pay dollar for dollar, but in this case, Bonzi Wells is a player who is obviously worth more than the vet's min. (I think it's around 1.1 million). Now if we were to pay him that much, and double that pretty much, so we'd be getting Bonzi at a price of just over 2 million. Now, it that something you might be interested in? (Entourage reference). Now would you want him knowing his reputation, and will he fit with the team structure? I think as a player he could help us, but I don't know if we want a player like him, who is always one of the last left in FAs because of his desires in contracts and his attitude...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: If Bonzi Wells comes for the minimum, would you be for or against the move?

I'd rather have an SG but sure, why not? It's not like I'd be paying his contract/luxury tax for the one year. It gives the team more depth at the 3 (and possibly 4 vs some of those small lineups). Good luck to Colangelo getting MLSE to agree to pay up though.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: If Bonzi Wells comes for the minimum, would you be for or against the move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I'd rather have an SG but sure, why not? It's not like I'd be paying his contract/luxury tax for the one year. It gives the team more depth at the 3 (and possibly 4 vs some of those small lineups). Good luck to Colangelo getting MLSE to agree to pay up though.

I think the tax thingy is a little overblown. I mean if MLSE's limit was where the tax dollar is, then it's different, but the reason they stop spending is because the luxury tax starts at that moment. I look at it differently, like if a player is worth 5 million and he is a FA and you have the money, and he comes to you for 2.5 million and essentially, you pay 5 million for the player and pretty much end up giving the player what he's worth...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

I would like to get Bonzi. He would instantly be one of our best, if not best, all-around wings. But hes not really what we need. Like, he isnt going to put us over the top and into the Finals by himself.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

Surprise he isn't signed yet, or maybe he's weighting his options to go to euo too if the money is good? or min with spurs/lakers?

But yea def like to see him here.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

He would be a great add. He can play some D, great rebounder, can create offense in a variety of ways. Solid shooter and has played big in the playoffs. No brainer.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

I suppose as long as he leaves his baggage at home.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

I can't stand Bonzi. But for the minimum you can't pass him up.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

T.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this board

Dude still has game, i wouldn't mind one bit...
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

YaoMing4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.RAPS
Dude still has game, i wouldn't mind one bit...

If the Raptors were not contending for playoffs and the fans are not coming at all, I'd say why not, get Bonzi Wells and let him put on a freak show.

However, we are a team of disciplined professionals with one goal in mind, and that is to go deep into the playoffs. Bonzi Wells will not suite us. I agree with you that he's got game, but he's a cancer in the locker room and a frustration to the coaching staff.

Who knows when he will give the fans the finger, get technical fouls, get into a fight with a teammate, get kicked out of a game, or get suspended for a long period of time. Way too much of a distraction and really not worth the hassel.

He would suite a team like the Bucks or the Clippers, but not on the Raptors. That's just my take.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMing4MVP
If the Raptors were not contending for playoffs and the fans are not coming at all, I'd say why not, get Bonzi Wells and let him put on a freak show.

However, we are a team of disciplined professionals with one goal in mind, and that is to go deep into the playoffs. Bonzi Wells will not suite us. I agree with you that he's got game, but he's a cancer in the locker room and a frustration to the coaching staff.

Who knows when he will give the fans the finger, get technical fouls, get into a fight with a teammate, get kicked out of a game, or get suspended for a long period of time. Way too much of a distraction and really not worth the hassel.

He would suite a team like the Bucks or the Clippers, but not on the Raptors. That's just my take.

Look here Bonzi Wells will be loooking for a contender to play with theres no point for him to play on a crappy team eg. Bucks, Clippers. At this point in his career he'll be looking just to win he would fit in well with the Raptors if he just wants to win and winning will change his attitude.
kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

YaoMing4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Look here Bonzi Wells will be loooking for a contender to play with theres no point for him to play on a crappy team eg. Bucks, Clippers. At this point in his career he'll be looking just to win he would fit in well with the Raptors if he just wants to win and winning will change his attitude.

Once again, the kid's got game, no denying in that. However, he's just like another Ron Artest, no matter where he goes, he will be a distraction. People don't change at his age.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Bonzi Wells is going on 32..his attitude has gotta change sometime!...and there's no denying that he's an upgrade from what we have at the 3 already.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A talent like Bonzi for the minimum is attractive regardless of his mindset
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
The luxury tax is a funny thing. Many teams don't want to cross it, because they have to pay dollar for dollar, but in this case, Bonzi Wells is a player who is obviously worth more than the vet's min. (I think it's around 1.1 million). Now if we were to pay him that much, and double that pretty much, so we'd be getting Bonzi at a price of just over 2 million. Now, it that something you might be interested in? (Entourage reference). Now would you want him knowing his reputation, and will he fit with the team structure? I think as a player he could help us, but I don't know if we want a player like him, who is always one of the last left in FAs because of his desires in contracts and his attitude...

No I wouldn't he has never played a full season ever he finds ways to get himself out of the lineup and the past 4 years he hasn't played more than 69 games we don't need his junk on our team atleast parker and moon play almost every game lets move on from Bonzi please!

Last edited by HalphbreedBaller : 09-16-2008 at 02:40 PM.
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: