Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Rock Band 2…

Its been out a week now… has anyone got it?

Impressions?

I am thinking about picking this up either tonight or tomorrow…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Rock Band 2…

it's been out on xbox only for a week now

i played it at a buddy's house, nothing has really changed besides some songs(they coulda just offered DLC) and some settings

unless i missed a really cool new feature then they made a sequal just to score 60 a pop on the sales

i hafta say though, "down with the sickness" on expert is pretty fun :)
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Yeah… these Rock Band are becoming like sport games

Guitar Hero is the most guilty… basically releasing new games at full price and only thing is new songs… Its just like madden… paying mad cash for roster updates.

I have a colleague that got Rock Band 2 and he went on to explain some of the things that Harmonix "polished up" to make it "better"

I know the wife wants it too so I'll probably end up getting it before long… I tried looking on internets for cheaper but after shipping I may as well go to the store and have it right there

If I can find one used that'd be great…
Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

So I picked this up along with the new Kirby game for the DS···
played a few songs so far··· going back to play more

So far so good···
Old 09-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Yeah… these Rock Band are becoming like sport games

Guitar Hero is the most guilty… basically releasing new games at full price and only thing is new songs… Its just like madden… paying mad cash for roster updates.

I have a colleague that got Rock Band 2 and he went on to explain some of the things that Harmonix "polished up" to make it "better"

I know the wife wants it too so I'll probably end up getting it before long… I tried looking on internets for cheaper but after shipping I may as well go to the store and have it right there

If I can find one used that'd be great…

It has been for many years...... on all Bemani products. But I can't complain since I got most of them indirectly...... if you know what I mean
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

ok, so here's a good question then, what COULD games like rock band/guitar hero do to actually improve besides in the already obvious places

1) add custom songs?
2) sign more bands rights(dunno how it's phrased, but you guys know what i mean)
3) add extra instruments?
4) up the difficulty?
5) add another difficulty?
6) add a "challenge a pro" mode?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Rock Band did change the way that you go about progressing through the game.

Since Guitar Hero 1, you would get a block, usually 5 songs and play through them and upon successful completion of the set, you open up the next set… rinse and repeat…until all songs are "unlocked". Finish all sets and the game is conquered. Rock Band kind of breaks the monotony and has you going around about different sets and cities and playing for small goals that need to be reached in order to advance the game and thus opening up more songs…

What Guitar Hero got into the habit of doing is basically releasing additional songs… I remember when 'Guitar Hero: Rock the 80's' came out… it was initially going to be at a lower price point of $39.99 but instead went full retail at $49.99. It was there that I "had enough".

Well now in this age of online, HDDs, DLC, and what not, is there really a reason to release these things annually, semi-annually? Sports games are the more guiltier… Right now they do it during the seasons, but why not have roster updates available online? Release a new full retail offering on an occasion rather than every 10 months
Old 09-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I am going to buy either Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour, but I have been having a really tough time deciding which one to go with. I will be playing on PS3 so neither are available for me yet.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
I am going to buy either Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour, but I have been having a really tough time deciding which one to go with. I will be playing on PS3 so neither are available for me yet.

The only reason I would buy rock band 2 is because of the premium drum sets, even then I think you can buy the set alone(?).

Quote:
why not have roster updates available online? Release a new full retail offering on an occasion rather than every 10 months

because EA knows you will buy madden EVERY single year, regardless of the changes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
because EA knows you will buy madden EVERY single year, regardless of the changes

LOL I don't fall for that junk… thats what frustrates me with sports games and why I seldom play them

Last sports games I bought were: NFL 2k5 and NBA 2k5(when Pistons were champs!). Also I liked how Sega priced them at $19.99… EA got pissed and went for exclusives after that year.

Last madden I got…

(I never liked madden from the get go )
Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

I can't for the life of me figure out the obsession with these rock band and guitar hero games. It's like a glorified matching game with a special controller and a sound track. It probably took a guy a day to program the basic engine for it, if that.

If you guys picked up a starter guitar, you might actually learn something real.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I can't for the life of me figure out the obsession with these rock band and guitar hero games. It's like a glorified matching game with a special controller and a sound track. It probably took a guy a day to program the basic engine for it, if that.

If you guys picked up a starter guitar, you might actually learn something real.

Mathius

It's just for fun dude, that's all. I can't imagine why you guys waste your money on Call of Duty after Call of Duty or the same with Madden year after year, but you all do it, or the majority of this board does it.

I don't really understand your hate against GH or RB though, unless you're just miserable?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius

Agreed.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
Agreed.

So should I better get a turntable and some vinyl records and start mixing rather than play Beatmania?

Should I better get a gun and start shooting zombies rather than play House of the Dead (franchise)?

I play video games for FUN and to escape reality… Not to replicate it.

The problem with many american is that they are want too much realism, and that they want video game to be a reality of something that is lifelike too much. Video games is to be for fun and an escape from the rigors of reality

It bothers me when rhythm game detrators throw the "play a real instrumant" card because I counter with the "play real football" card or "race a real car" card… I've played real basketball and I have raced real cars in the quarter mile as well as solo I courses…
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
It's just for fun dude, that's all. I can't imagine why you guys waste your money on Call of Duty after Call of Duty or the same with Madden year after year, but you all do it, or the majority of this board does it.

I don't really understand your hate against GH or RB though, unless you're just miserable?

Well for one thing, Call of Duty has a different storyline each time, so that's a ridiculous comparison, and I don't buy a new Madden every year. The last one I bought was 2004 I think (Vick on the cover?). The only reason I buy a new 2k basketball every year is because they're cheap at $20 and I get the new features and rosters. Madden doesn't really change much.

I don't have "hate" for these games, I just don't understand why people would spend over $100 a crack at them for a bunch of cheap props and a matching game.

I can't look at one of those things without bringing to mind those cheap foreign toys you'd find at flea markets where you have a little plastic guitar and you push the buttons to make notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R

So should I better get a turntable and some vinyl records and start mixing rather than play Beatmania?

Should I better get a gun and start shooting zombies rather than play House of the Dead (franchise)?

I play video games for FUN and to escape reality… Not to replicate it.

The problem with many american is that they are want too much realism, and that they want video game to be a reality of something that is lifelike too much. Video games is to be for fun and an escape from the rigors of reality

It bothers me when rhythm game detrators throw the "play a real instrumant" card because I counter with the "play real football" card or "race a real car" card… I've played real basketball and I have raced real cars in the quarter mile as well as solo I courses…

Because at some point you have to weigh the costs. The games are what? Between $30-60 apiece depending on what version and what system?

I know the guitars start around $75. I don't know what they charge for the full band setup that the one uses, but I'd wager its more than that.

That's a ridiculous price to pay for a matching game and some cheap plastic props.

It costs them nothing to manufacture these things by the way. Once they have the molds, the plastic could be bought for far less than what you're paying for them.

EDIT: Oh, and some of your response is downright juvenile? Take a real gun and go shoot zombies? Where does one find one of those? Sounds like an angry fanboy response. You're better than that. I've seen your posts. Yeah, some people don't have the skill to go out and throw a football, so they play madden, or the money to go out and build a race car. But we'd all probably be healthier and perhaps happier if we went out and ran around with a football instead of playing madden, and I've seen the price of starter guitars, and you could buy one, or even a used guitar for the price of these silly cheap games.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 09-27-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: