Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rock Band 2…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I can't for the life of me figure out the obsession with these rock band and guitar hero games. It's like a glorified matching game with a special controller and a sound track. It probably took a guy a day to program the basic engine for it, if that.

If you guys picked up a starter guitar, you might actually learn something real.

Mathius

I agree with this. The games are nothing special at all. The fun you are having is purely in pretending to play an instrument. But you can get yourself a real instrument for the same price and it will be a better experience.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Because at some point you have to weigh the costs. The games are what? Between $30-60 apiece depending on what version and what system?

I know the guitars start around $75. I don't know what they charge for the full band setup that the one uses, but I'd wager its more than that.

That's a ridiculous price to pay for a matching game and some cheap plastic props.

It costs them nothing to manufacture these things by the way. Once they have the molds, the plastic could be bought for far less than what you're paying for them.

EDIT: Oh, and some of your response is downright juvenile? Take a real gun and go shoot zombies? Where does one find one of those? Sounds like an angry fanboy response. You're better than that. I've seen your posts. Yeah, some people don't have the skill to go out and throw a football, so they play madden, or the money to go out and build a race car. But we'd all probably be healthier and perhaps happier if we went out and ran around with a football instead of playing madden, and I've seen the price of starter guitars, and you could buy one, or even a used guitar for the price of these silly cheap games.

Mathius

I actually have a bass (its a epiphone ) and I mess around with it on rare occasion though very badly…

Honestly with Guitar Hero, I have got fed up with all the iterations and have not played it since Guitar Hero 2 on PS2 - I sold both of them when I got Rock Band on the 360- with Rock Band, the cost was initially $170 for the set… I just got Rock Band 2 for $60 new ( ) partially becasue my wife plays it too and they put in a "no fail" feature for kids and my 7 year old can finally play with less frustration. If it were up to me I'd rather play less but as you do…

The thing is some people(including a couple of my friends, one of who is a guitar aficionado) really couldn't care less about these music games… Some people don't like them and they are entitled to their opinions and views and thats cool - It just bothers me when people say "Fuc Guitar Hero - go play a real guitar" as their only bases for argument… It happens on all video gaming forums and its been going on since Christmas 2005 when the first Guitar Hero hit and was hard to find…

When the next music game comes out with all new instruments (see guitar hero 4 aka world tour) I won't be buying when I can expand with my current setup… Maybe I'll buy the new Guitar Hero GAME because it will work with my Rock Band instruments but Fuc buying another $150+ set of shit I already have…

For me playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero is just for fun and to escape reality while enjoying AND interacting with some good (and questionable) music. Playing Ghost Squad or House of the Dead is the same… I can take a toy gun and shoot stuff on my screen in a fashion that is entertaining and interactive.
Playing Gran Turismo with a wheel and pedals is a similar arrangement (though I play with the regular controller - yeah I'm weired like that )

As I was just trying to say, I would hope people would play these music games for fun and for people not to take them seriously is all… heck one dude I know got interested in playing Guitar AFTER playing Guitar Hero and I mess around on my bass more these last 3 years than I have since I got it in 1999!
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I agree with this. The games are nothing special at all. The fun you are having is purely in pretending to play an instrument. But you can get yourself a real instrument for the same price and it will be a better experience.

Its a FUCKING VIDEO GAME OH OHHH OHH AHHHHH! [/sam kinison]

Its not supposed to be REAL

Video games should be for fun and recreation, NOT to replicate reality and make it life like

Please see my post above…
Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #19
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

So, playing an actual instrument isn't a fun and recreational activity?
Yes it is.

The point is, the gameplay in itself isn't fun. It's simplistic, it's repetitive. You can't play Guitar Hero with a normal controller and have a good time.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
You can't play Guitar Hero with a normal controller and have a good time.

And that right there is a more convincing argument than any way I could have put it.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Good points Mathius, you obviously value the real world version compared to the gaming version of the music games, nothing wrong with that.

I myself like them because it's different that the regular shooter or rpg that's forced on the market. It's definitely more fun to play rockband than it is guitar hero, and it's also more fun to play rock band at a party or with friends or hell even when you're drunk hehe.

All in all though, all games are repetitive, I actually respect that fact that you haven't bought madden in 4 years, you get more for your money that way.

I still disagree with you on the COD changes though. Change the story every year, they make a few new maps and write some different passages. I'm sure it's more than *just* that, but I personally would need more change to a game for me to buy it

I think the last story appendage I did buy was RE code veronica x actually
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
So, playing an actual instrument isn't a fun and recreational activity?
Yes it is.

The point is, the gameplay in itself isn't fun. It's simplistic, it's repetitive. You can't play Guitar Hero with a normal controller and have a good time.

Well I have played Harmonix other games with regular controllers…

and best of all…

These games do not have any special controllers… and these are the same genre as Guitar Hero games… Harmonix did the first two Guitar Heroes as well as the Rock Band games…

And it isn't like every FPS, or sports game isn't the same ol repetitive dreck…

And as for repetitive game play?

Tell me is Raiden Fighters Jet repetitive?
Is Giga Wing repetitive?
Is a game like Gradius V repetitive?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I actually got turned on to guitar hero because I am very much into real guitars. I have 2 electrics and an acoustic, a few amps, pedals and other misc odds and ends.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #24
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Tell me is Raiden Fighters Jet repetitive?
Is Giga Wing repetitive?
Is a game like Gradius V repetitive?

How the hell should I know? I've never heard of any of those games. I doubt you'll find more than a handful of guys here that have, either.

Not exactly on the greatest hits list.

Mathius
Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #25
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
How the hell should I know? I've never heard of any of those games. I doubt you'll find more than a handful of guys here that have, either.

Not exactly on the greatest hits list.

Mathius

Gradius is one of Konami's longest standing franchises… Gradius V on PS2 was a master piece as it was developed by the fine folks at treasure

Raiden Fighters Jet is the last game of the Raiden Fighters series which itself is a spinoff of the world renowned Raiden franchise. If you still have an arcade near by, chances are there is a Raiden Fighters cab in there… maybe not Jet but one of the three.

Giga Wing is a Dreamcast/Naomi Arcade title which probably isn't known much about from everyone/casual fellows…
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
Maniak
... :\

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Its out? Wow....Nice

I didnt even know these things
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #27
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Well I have played Harmonix other games with regular controllers…

and best of all…

These games do not have any special controllers…

Case in point. None of these games are even 10% as popular as guitar hero.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Case in point. None of these games are even 10% as popular as guitar hero.

Actually Gitaroo Man is a pretty popular game…

It went out of print for a while and was selling for $100 and then it got reprinted and everyone was able to get a hold of it and was still selling for 30-40 when it was easy to find…
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
Mathius

Quote:
Actually Gitaroo Man is a pretty popular game…

It went out of print for a while and was selling for $100 and then it got reprinted and everyone was able to get a hold of it and was still selling for 30-40 when it was easy to find…

Dude, in what country?

Mathius
Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #30
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Dude, in what country?

Mathius

USA.

Gitaroo Man initially had a very low print run and was in high demand thus driving the price up…

about 2 years ago, it got reprinted and was readily available though the price was still up there… Game Stop was selling used copies for $39.99 at that time and today I believe that it sells used for $24.99

Gitaroo Man has also been ported to the PSP.

Its a really great game. Not only does it require precise, rhythmic button presses but also timely and agile use of the analog control. IIDX and Gitaroo Man are the games that got me into music games… Honestly, if Guitar Freaks had better music, I'd favor that over the western music games… Bemani games are pretty well done I guess but IIDX is the only one I really get into… my wife owns in IIDX - she make me look horrible… she also gets into DDR and In the Groove.

EDIT:
Gitaroo Man at Game Stop

we all know how much Game Stop likes to price accordingly to popularity and charge more for the "hot sellers"

Last edited by Sonic R : 09-29-2008 at 06:52 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: