Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned
 
Interminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,777
Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Every mention of Iverson is that he needs a team with players who don't have score first mentalities but instead are role players

But for Kobe there's no certain teammates he needs and he can succeed with score 1st players like Pau & Bynum.

Maybe I don't focus enough on Kobe as many of the Laker goofs do but Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.

People think that because Iverson went to the Finals with a bunch of role players then it means that Iverson can't win without role players and I don't believe that.

Then when LeBron is mentioned its said he needs another scorer yet he went to the NBA Finals with a cast of role players.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,001
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.

I'd argue that unlike AI, Kobe has a better chance of making those shots. How many 3's does AI throw up even though he's not very effective out there? He throws up a lot more prayers than Kobe.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,635
AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Iverson dominates the ball a lot more than Kobe. Also, AI doesnt trust his teammates thats why he keeps jacking up shots. Unlike Kobe. And Kobe's a much better shooter.
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,001
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Wouldn't say Kobe trusts his teammates that much.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,635
AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Wouldn't say Kobe trusts his teammates that much.

AI doesnt make his teammates better compared to Kobe.
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick
 
Allstar24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,581
Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Wouldn't say Kobe trusts his teammates that much.
If you think Kobe doesn't trust his teammates that much, you clearly didn't watch the Lakers play last season...probably basing your statement on what you hear from others.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
step_back
You see this knife?
 
step_back's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4,378
step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

he doesn't like sharing his skittles
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Ethan22
NBA All-Star!
 
Ethan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the gym... Handles is sik!
Posts: 145
Ethan22 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Kobe Bryant barely took as many shots in the first quater of many games this season to get his teammates involved early, and if that's not unselfish I don't know what is.

What did Iverson do to help his teammates this season? take Carmelo out to a club and let his girl lap dance all over Melo?
Ethan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,256
Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Maybe I don't focus enough on Kobe as many of the Laker goofs do but Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.


Right and how many shots did Iverson take in the First round of 2008 playoffs?
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
EricForman
Good college starter
 
EricForman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,347
EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Every mention of Iverson is that he needs a team with players who don't have score first mentalities but instead are role players

But for Kobe there's no certain teammates he needs and he can succeed with score 1st players like Pau & Bynum.

Maybe I don't focus enough on Kobe as many of the Laker goofs do but Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.

People think that because Iverson went to the Finals with a bunch of role players then it means that Iverson can't win without role players and I don't believe that.

Then when LeBron is mentioned its said he needs another scorer yet he went to the NBA Finals with a cast of role players.


I dont think most of us on ISH believes Iverson to be selfish.

Well, generally, most undersized shoot-first, ball dominating guards are bad news for team success because that's not a good formula for winning basketball. But Iverson's heart, determination and will somehow allows him to break the mold... to a certain extent. He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.

But the fact sitll remains his game is nearly impossible to build around.

Kobe is definitely more "selfish" than Iverson. But Kobe's game doesn't require him to dominate the ball as much. Kobe has a post game--which can result in doubles and him kicking it out to open shooter. Because of Kobe's superior physical gifts (mainly height), he is allowed to be a more efficient player and do things Iverson can never do. That's just fact. It's unfair, because if Iverson was taller, then perhaps he too, can change his game to be more efficient. But he's not taller he will never develope the efficiency that taller wing players--if playing the game wisely--can develop in their games.

Last edited by EricForman : 09-21-2008 at 05:54 PM.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
w00terz
FACT
 
w00terz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,021
w00terz is considered somewhat coolw00terz is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
I dont think most of us on ISH believes Iverson to be selfish.

Well, generally, most undersized shoot-first, ball dominating guards are bad news for team success because that's not a good formula for winning basketball. But Iverson's heart, determination and will somehow allows him to break the mold... to a certain extent. He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.

But the fact sitll remains his game is nearly impossible to build around.

Kobe is definitely more "selfish" than Iverson. But Kobe's game doesn't require him to dominant the ball as much. Kobe has a post game--which can result in doubles and him kicking it out to open shooter. Because of Kobe's superior skills and height, it allows him to be a more efficient player and do things Iverson can never do. That's just fact. It's unfair, because if Iverson was taller, then perhaps he too, can change his game to be more efficient. But he's not taller he will never develope the efficiency that taller wing players--if playing the game wisely--can develop in their games.

AI is my favorite player ever and I completely agree with this post.
w00terz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn
 
Rekindled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away..
Posts: 9,006
Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

well kobe has times has the tendensy to be too unselfish and causing his team to trail.
Rekindled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,001
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
AI doesnt make his teammates better compared to Kobe.

Not a Kobe strong suit either.

Quote:
If you think Kobe doesn't trust his teammates that much, you clearly didn't watch the Lakers play last season

I lived in China. He was probably on more than Yao and Yi. He was better last year but I'd hardly call him a team player. Be interesting to see him try that game on in Europe that's for sure.

Quote:
He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.

Think Arenas could be a lot more valuable for the Wizards if he gets healthy again. They were one shot from beating the Cavs in the playoffs three years ago and were having an even better year two years ago before he and Caron went down. Their offense and the other ball handlers around him fits his game too.

Quote:
kobe has times has the tendensy to be too unselfish

When pre-season? Lakers would have won at least 4 straight titles if not for his selfish play.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,256
Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
When pre-season? Lakers would have won at least 4 straight titles if not for his selfish play.

I disagree with this part. Lakers lost to the better team in 03...which was defintely the spurs. Can't just blame Kobe for that series.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick
 
Allstar24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,581
Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
When pre-season? Lakers would have won at least 4 straight titles if not for his selfish play.
Its better to not say anything if you don't know what you're talking about You're one of those posters, probably watched Kobe in the finals this year and made up your mind about how selfish he was all season
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy