Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here
Default We Can Agree Majora's Mask was a classic, right?

I've heard (and read) a lot of anti-Majora's Mask sentiments from people and from around the internet. Some people think it was a letdown after the brilliance of Ocarina of Time, which to me is unfathomable. Mask was really innovative, with the mask system and the 72-hour time thing. All-around I found it to be an absolutely incredible game. What do you guys think?
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: We Can Agree Majora's Mask was a classic, right?

I agree though it was really frustrating...
I had to look at a guide book numerous times to complete it.
Not as good as OoT but still very good, a top 10 N64 game.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Talking Re: We Can Agree Majora's Mask was a classic, right?

TBH, I never played it. And from what Ive heard, its got mixed reactions from some people.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like it better than OoT. OoT is the better game, but I like Majora's Mask more. The 3 main masks are cool, rolling around as a Goron and swimming as a Zora is so fun. I liked the temples. The story was very good. Graphics were better than Ocarina of Time's. I didn't mind the 72 hour thing like everybody else did. I had the handbook for the game and there were so many secrets to find. It was like living a real life... you actually had to keep track of time and be at certain places and do certain things at certain times. Very fun game, one of my favorites. Not to mention the Fierce Deity... man he was sick.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

I really never played much of it… It does get a bad rap since people put OoT so high on a pedestal…

Its like the Legend of Zelda compared to Adventure of Link…Adventure of Link always gets slammed for being different that first game. I think that Zelda II was a really good game and did alot of things. It was a fantastic blend of RPG, adventure, and platforming.

The truth to the matter is that there really aren't any bad games in the Zelda franchise (we won't include the CD-i games )

Give credit to Nintendo for always trying to do different things while sticking to a basic formula for the Zelda franchise. Sometimes it works well and other times people are unsatisfied… and usually because they are complacent with a certain style but at the same time would flame Nintendo if they released a title without new innovations and little change from the previous titles…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
zabuza666
Local High School Star

zabuza666 has an OK reputation so far

Download a gameboy emulator on your computer and play Link's Awakening. That **** is downright impossible to finish without a walkthrough.
zabuza666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabuza666
Download a gameboy emulator on your computer and play Link's Awakening. That **** is downright impossible to finish without a walkthrough.

For Sure!
Links Awakening is vastly overlooked mainly because its on the Gameboy… but it is by far top teir Zelda title.
I place it second all time under Link to the Past… many consider Link's Awakening the best Zelda game of all time…
Do check it out, especially those who are fans of Zelda III
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
For Sure!
Links Awakening is vastly overlooked mainly because its on the Gameboy… but it is by far top teir Zelda title.
I place it second all time under Link to the Past… many consider Link's Awakening the best Zelda game of all time…
Do check it out, especially those who are fans of Zelda III

I second that. Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game.
I'm more of a 2d Zelda fan, and Zelda III and LA are by far the best efforts.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
zabuza666
Local High School Star

zabuza666 has an OK reputation so far

Did you guys manage to finish Link's Awakening?
zabuza666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

oh yeah, coupla times

they really made it quite rewarding to get the boomerang in that game!

(GOAT boomerang acquisition and it's not even close)

imo it goes

1. zelda a link to the past
2. the legend of zelda
3. zelda ocarina of time
4. link's awakening
5. phantom hourglass
6. windwaker
7. twilight princess
8. minish cap
9. zelda 2 the adventure of link
10. majora's mask

i like my zelda plain, simple, and straightforward with as little tweaking as possible.

Last edited by SayTownRy : 09-23-2008 at 05:46 PM.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:

I finished the original back when I had it… never got to try DX.

My Zelda Rankings (for funs):

1. Zelda III: Link to the Past
2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
3. Link's Awakening
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. Twilight Princess
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Oracle of Seasons/Ages (never finished either)
10. Majora's Mask (never finished)
11. Phanton Hourglass (only played briefly)
12. Zelda's Adventure (never finished)

10047. Wand of Gamelon (never finished - never will)
10048. Faces of Evil (never played - don't want to)

I LOVE Adventure of Link. Very overlooked game that went out and did many things - adventure, platforming, RPG all mixed into a fine blend!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Majora's mask had some neat features. Being a diku sucked, but the goron and zora costumes were neat.

But the 72 hour time thing was an atrocious idea. Completely ruined the game.

I can't even put it into words how god damn irritating it is to have to do the same thing over and over and over again.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I LOVE Adventure of Link. Very overlooked game that went out and did many things - adventure, platforming, RPG all mixed into a fine blend!

That's definitely odd. I've heard people defending it (ie "It wasn't that bad"), you you are the only one I have seen praise it to the extend of it being one of the best in the series. Maybe I should look into it again.

As for my Zelda rankings:

1. A Link To The Past
my fave. The first Zelda I've played, so that probably has something to do with it. It's pretty much the perfect game. A big world with loads of stuff to discover, cool dungeons and bosses, pretty lenghty, classic Zelda story..

1b. Link's Awakening
The original Gameboy is probably the system I have played the most out of all gaming systems. LA is kind of an oddball among the other Zelda games.

3. The Wind Waker
I loved the new graphics. It's one of the most criticized Zelda's, and I do understand most of the shortcomings. But it just had a lot of magical moments if you ask me, and probably the best soundtrack out of all the Zelda's. The opening sequence, the first time you visit Hyrule, the bird people island. All classic Nintendo.

4. Ocarina of Time
The one everyone loves. There are some really good dungeons in this.

5. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
I loved these. Oracle of Season was my favorite. Even though they weren't made by Nintendo, they really made me feel 2d Zelda was back in action.

6. Twilight Princess
It was okay. They should have released it a year earlier, and I didn't like the wolf. It was a considerable step down from WW imo. And it came out when the GC was already dead.

7. Majora's Mask
The worst of the 3d Zelda's, despite this thread. I agree with mathius, the time system was crap. I didn't like the masks either. It seems all of the new stuff they tried to do just didn't work out.

8. Zelda I
I know it's a classic, but it's just very dated at this point. I was born in 88, so I never got to play this back when it was still a fresh game. There is a pretty large number of NES games that are fun to play to this day, and the original Zelda isn't one of the imo.

9. Minish Cap
A pretty weak offering. It was short and it was infantile (even for a Zelda title). The game clearly targeted a younger audience than me, and it didn't feel like a Zelda game. It was still pretty good, but doesn't live up to it's name.

10. Phantom Hourglass
The only Zelda game I regretted buying. The whole touchscreen and mic puzzles just weren't working. And why the hell did they make you do that one dungeon over and over?

11. Zelda 2
Stopped playing a few hours in.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
That's definitely odd. I've heard people defending it (ie "It wasn't that bad"), you you are the only one I have seen praise it to the extend of it being one of the best in the series. Maybe I should look into it again.

There are a handful of us who put high praise on Adventure of Link.
Nintendo added elements not since seen such as magic system, gaining experience, leveling up, and 2d platforming. Also many elements were derived from Zelda II such as new sword techniques, towns, multi-level dungeons…

I still return to Zelda II as much as the first one as they are pretty quick games to play and are fulfilling…

Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are probably the pinnacle of the franchise imo… with Zelda II: The Adventure of Link being the most risky and most innovative…
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
There are a handful of us who put high praise on Adventure of Link.
Nintendo added elements not since seen such as magic system, gaining experience, leveling up, and 2d platforming. Also many elements were derived from Zelda II such as new sword techniques, towns, multi-level dungeons…

I still return to Zelda II as much as the first one as they are pretty quick games to play and are fulfilling…

Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are probably the pinnacle of the franchise imo… with Zelda II: The Adventure of Link being the most risky and most innovative…

Eh. Zelda II was decent. Wasn't what you expected. In some ways its more like a modern RPG than the original Zelda ever was. My big knock on it was the difficulty. Some 20 years after it came out, I still can't seem to beat it on an emulator.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: