Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

Default Is this Raps Best Defensive Team Ever?

If they stay relatively injury free, they should have their best defensive season ever. With the likes of Jermaine, Chris and Jamario swatting opposition offensive forays like flys, teams are going to feel a little punch drunk. If the Raps can control the three point shooters better than their abysmal record last year, opponent offences are going to struggle to find ways to score. Probably one way they may try, is by driving through the paint and getting one of the bigs in foul trouble and out of the game for long periods of time. I remember how sheepish the Raps offence became whenever there was a Garnet type swatter in the opposition's paint, it will be beautiful eye candy to see it happen to opposition teams on a consistent basis!
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Default Re: Is this Raps Best Defensive Team Ever?

I don't know about 'Best defensive team ever' ..but definitely they could be (like you said 'if healthy') the best Raptor defensive team ever.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

I think they can be, time will tell.

On of my main concerns with this team now is perimeter defence. Why?

cause its always been a problem, but this year its more critical because of our interior presence now. Teams will be reluctant to drive it in the paint with JO and Chris there, so our ability to defend the perimeter is more crucial.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

The point is, there is no excuse anymore for not being able to defend the perimeter. If you don't have to double team down low anymore, or that often, you have no excuse for not being within a couple feet of the perimeter shooters your guarding. If vast improvement in that area isn't reality, people will have to start to wonder if Sam Mitchell is as good a defensive coach as he thinks he is. Parker, Adams, and Ukic are also good defenders, so the raw material is definitely there! Kapono may be the weak link in the chain but his former coach Riley claimed he was a good team type defender which basically means at least he doesn't suck! Even Calderon showed much improved defence as the season wore on. You have to really watch him closely to notice, but he is very active in the defensive end. When he got in the most trouble it was because he had to double team all too often. Again that should change this season.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

We had a pretty good defensive team in 2000/01 IIRC. Boogie Williams held his own, we had Keon Clark swatting **** everywhere. Jerome Williams, Oak and Davis weren't bad.

Quote:
When he got in the most trouble it was because he had to double team all too often.

Jose can't move quick enough laterally to guard most NBA PG's by himself. As far as double teams go, hopefully Mitchell isn't so retarded in that aspect.

Why the hell we double every single post player no matter what confuses the hell out of me. Jason Kidd didn't dominate the Raps in the post scoring, it was because we gave him too much respect and doubled him for no reason before he even had a chance to abuse Ford.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
We had a pretty good defensive team in 2000/01 IIRC. Boogie Williams held his own, we had Keon Clark swatting **** everywhere. Jerome Williams, Oak and Davis weren't bad.

They were also one of the better rebounding teams. Man, there was Raps team that could rebound...
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Beebo
Good college starter

Yeah, our perimeter defence needs to be better. Last year, we'd always double when players drive into the lane. It didn't matter who, even if it was Chris ****ing Quinn, we'd double him and leave shooters open. Hopefully, now with JO and Bosh guarding the inside, this won't happen no more.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Yes it is.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

It could be the Raps best defensive team ever but that isn't saying a whole lot.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Parker could play good d, calderon has to step up
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
If they stay relatively injury free, they should have their best defensive season ever. With the likes of Jermaine, Chris and Jamario swatting opposition offensive forays like flys, teams are going to feel a little punch drunk. If the Raps can control the three point shooters better than their abysmal record last year, opponent offences are going to struggle to find ways to score. Probably one way they may try, is by driving through the paint and getting one of the bigs in foul trouble and out of the game for long periods of time. I remember how sheepish the Raps offence became whenever there was a Garnet type swatter in the opposition's paint, it will be beautiful eye candy to see it happen to opposition teams on a consistent basis!

The defense should be solid. However, I am not sure it's the best defensive team the Raptors had. I kind of liked the year when Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley, and JYD were starters. I'd say that was the best defensive team the Raptors had.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
I don't know about 'Best defensive team ever' ..but definitely they could be (like you said 'if healthy') the best Raptor defensive team ever.

I think he meant relatively to Raptors' history. I mean..... best Defensive team ever, that's another level.
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: