Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #301
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,878
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default

You said I have answered only 1% of your questions yet you still haven't come up with one question about evolution that i haven't answered.

However I won't hold my breath for you to explain how a guy 130 years old becomes a father FOR THE FIRST TIME.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #302
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
Again that has already been answered but since you didn't read it the last time there is no reason to post it again. However I will post the link for the tree of life so you can ignore it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Different species have evolved to fill different roles in the environment. it isn't that complex.

Many species haven't changed much in millions of years because they already fit their role in the environment so well. Ants and crocs are examples. The army ant in particular seemingly hasn't evolved at all for a very long time.

You guys are just retarded. Do you really think the goal of evolution is to become human?

The goal isn't to become human. The goal is survival. Nature has a balance that wouldn't work if all the creatures were the same. Lions are the top of the food chain in Africa. What if all the animals in africa evolved into lions? What if there were no zebras, buffalo, wildebeast etc.
you say that nature wouldnt work if all the creatures were the same...well they were all apparently all the same at one point in time "in the beginning" right? how did nature work then? did it evolve too? or is that just another "little hole in evolution?"
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #303
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
You said I have answered only 1% of your questions yet you still haven't come up with one question about evolution that i haven't answered.

However I won't hold my breath for you to explain how a guy 130 years old becomes a father FOR THE FIRST TIME.
heck, you could answer every question i ever ask you....but hardly ever correctly or completely...most answers were " i have already posted this twice" or something like that. when in reality you posted very little good info and the question is really still unanswered
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #304
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

How could people really live to be 900 years old?

For years this question has tempted people to believe the story of Genesis was more mythical than factual. Opponents have long used this question as, "so-called evidence" the Bible cannot be taken literally as these ages are biologically impossible.

Over and over again, the book of Genesis routinely records long human life spans, which seem outrageous by today's standards. Adam lived to 930 years, Noah, to 950 years, and Methuselah, the longest, to 969 years.

We tempt ourselves to compare these ages to what we see today and, initially, we think these ages are ridiculous. But what we fail to do is calculate into such a thought that today’s "fallen" environment is far different then that in which the pre-flood patriarchs lived.

The Bible is in no way shy about the number of characters it refers to attaining such great ages. Nor do these ages appear to be anything other than ordinary. Today, even if one avoids all fatal diseases and exercises regularly, the chance to live much past 100 is infinitesimal.

The big question is what was so different in the early earth as opposed to today's environment? Perhaps there was a higher level of carbon dioxide, or perhaps, God simply wrote man's future upper-limits into our genetic code. This question is best-answered using two biblical models. First, the Bible tells us that Adam and Eve's choice to disobey God brought death and decay to the entire world (Gen. 2:17). The simple biological side of this must therefore be in our genetic makeup. And second, what effect would a water vapor canopy, "firmament", in the earths atmosphere and it's increasing of the earths air pressure have on all life forms (Genesis 1:6-8)?

At the end of the creation week, God declared on the sixth day that it was, "very good." Now a perfect Holy-God would certainly not create an imperfect man if he, after all, was created in God's image (Genesis 1:26)! This would certainly mean that the original genetic make-up of Adam and Eve was absolutely perfect. No genes destined for heart disease, wrinkly-skin, or cancer, it was "very good"! And it only supports the idea that God did not create us to grow old and die, but rather to live forever and have fellowship with Him. Prior to sin, Adam would not have known what "death" was because death itself did not exist in a pre-sin environment. After all, let us not forget that the, "..wages of sin is death…." Adam and Eve’s decision to sin against God resulted in the inception of decay and thus, the degeneration of our gene pool. "…Creation will be liberated from its bondage to decay." (Romans 8:21)

As generations passed, the fact that our genes were now susceptible to disease and decay meant each generation of offspring would inherit additionally bad genes because of the fact they are passed on by both parents. And so the more generations that passed, the diseases and deformities would have therefore multiplied.

The pre-flood patriarchs lived longer because they consisted of the original perfect, or close to perfect, gene. It's their children, and their children's children that would truly end up paying the ultimate price Adam and Eve's choice brought onto the entire world.

When studying the decisions of parental choices and the effects of those choices on their children, we quickly conclude that those choices highly-influence the future of their children. The same is true when examining the effects Adam and Eve's choices had on all their children (all of mankind descended from Adam and Eve and are truly therefore their children). Their choice to sin against God effected the environment for which all future generations to come would live in.

The second model that helps to answer the shortened life span is that of a "firmament" of water in the earth’s atmosphere (a water vapor canopy). It is important to illustrate that we can only build models of these ideas that are within the framework of the various laws of science as none of us were there to examine these events. Such a water vapor canopy would have increased the air pressure here on earth while sheltering the pre-flood world from the constant bombardment of cosmic radiation.

There are currently several groups studying the complexity of such a canopy and its effects and initially, although it can't be proven, such a canopy may not be the sole reason for expanded life spans but it most likely slowed the aging process because of its blockage of solar radiation.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #305
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

the bible basically predicts people like you:

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables" (II Timothy 4:3-4).
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #306
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

First, consider what the Bible says about the age of the patriarchs.
A. The average age of the patriarchs up to and including Noah was 912 (years).

1. This excludes Enoch who God took to heaven at the age of 365 years, and Lamech who was 777 years old when he died…

2. From this data we can determine that Adam lived to within 130 years of Noah…

3. It is reasonable to accept that (all people lived this long).

B. One of the remarkable things about the record of the early chapters of Genesis is the straightforward simplicity with which the writer recorded (these) facts of history…

1. One would think that the writer (of Genesis) would have explained or at least expressed wonder at the uniqueness of the things he was describing.

2. But instead he wrote the account in the most simple and straightforward way possible, as a sober historian or news reporter would do, with no attempt whatever to justify or explain (these) events.

3. The only logical explanation for reporting these amazing facts in such a simple way is that, when the original writer recorded them they were not unusual at all, but common experience…

C. Adam lived to within 130 years of Noah, so these accounts in the early chapters of Genesis were probably eyewitness accounts transmitted down the line of the patriarchs until they finally came into Moses' possession (ibid).

1. Under the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, Moses collected them and transcribed them as the book of Genesis (see ibid).

II. Second, consider the shortening of human life after the Flood.
A. Noah lived 950 years,

1. But his descendant Terah lived a much shorter life: "And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran" (Genesis 11:32).

2. Abraham only lived 175 years: "And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years. Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people" (Genesis 25:7-8).

3. Abraham's grandson Jacob lived only 130 years: "And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers…" (Genesis 47:9).

4. Joseph lived 20 years less than his father Jacob: "And Joseph dwelt in Egypt, he, and his father's house: and Joseph lived an hundred and ten years" (Genesis 50:22). "So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt" (Genesis 50:26).

B. God had sent death to the human race as a result of our first parent's sin.

1. After man sinned, God said: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return" (Genesis 3:19).

2. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12).

C. Everyone died in the times of the patriarchs, but they lived much longer than people did after the Flood.

1. The length of human life became shorter and shorter after the Flood and started leveling off in Joseph’s time, until the Bible finally says: “The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off…” (Psalm 90:10).

2. Even today, with all of our advanced technology, most people live, on an average, between 70 and 80 years. We think it is quite remarkable for someone to live past 100.

3. Something happened at the time of the Great Flood, in Noah’s day, that began to shorten man's life span on earth.

4. Dr. Henry M. Morris says: Many writers have noted that life spans began a slow and steady decline after the Flood, showing evidently that they were connected with the Antediluvian (pre-Flood) climatology (climate conditions) and environmental conditions.

D. Before the Flood, there was a great canopy or envelope of water around the earth, in the atmosphere above the air-layer (cf. Genesis 1:6-8).

1. This vast blanket of water above the troposphere made the earth a paradise compared to what it is now,

a) "A global greenhouse, maintaining an essentially uniformly pleasant temperature all over the world…

b) windstorms would be unknown…

c) there could be no rain "But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground" (Genesis 2:6).

2. A vapor canopy would also be highly effective in filtering out ultraviolet radiation, cosmic rays, and other destructive energies from outer space.

a) These are known to be the source of both somatic and genetic mutations, which decrease the viability (length of life) of the individual and the species, respectively.

b) Thus the canopy (of water around the earth) would contribute effectively to human and animal health and longevity"

3. Dr. Morris goes on to say:

a) The congenial climate…and the radiation-filtering effect of the canopy (of water around the earth before the Flood) enabled the people of that age – and probably animals as well – to live to much greater ages than is now possible.

b) In recent years, it has been demonstrated in biomedical research that both the existence of such high pressures and the absence of mutation-producing radiations in the environment do contribute significantly to longevity.

4. In addition, of course,

a) the pristine purity of the human genetic system and its bloodstream, with so few accumulated mutant genes,

b) together with the primeval absence of disease-producing organisms (which only gradually developed, through the outworking of the curse [of sin] ) from the originally created beneficent microorganisms,

c) served to maintain life through great age-spans

5. Thus, people lived for much longer periods of time before the effects of the Flood ruined the environment of our planet.

6. Many today have died from skin cancer, caused by the rays of the sun.

7. And there are many other diseases related to the environment that were unheard of before the flood.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #307
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,878
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
when in reality you posted very little good info and the question is really still unanswered

I have answered every question completely, most more than once. If you choose to ignore hundreds of fossils or genetic evidence that is your choice but that doesn't mean I haven't answered.

I'll ask again for JUST ONE question about evolution that I haven't answered.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #308
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,878
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default

Your theory about aging makes no sense when it is well known that people live much longer now than they did only 100 years ago. Life spans are getting longer, not shorter.

And life spans among rural populations, which is what Adam and Eve's family would have been, are much lower than those of people in developed countries.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #309
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

okay, calm down now.........you may have answered most of my questions to the fullest extent....if by that you mean answering a question with "thats the classic straw man(used that one alot) or chicken and the egg. the time space matter question really is an important question that needs alot more attention than it has previously received! that has to be the beginning basis for your argument, without knowing that there is no foundation to the rest of the nonsense
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #310
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,878
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
you say that nature wouldnt work if all the creatures were the same...well they were all apparently all the same at one point in time "in the beginning" right? how did nature work then?

You never cease to amaze me with your nonsense.

One plant eating animal would have minimal effect on the surrounding environment. But an ever expanding population of plant eaters, with no predators to keep their population in check, would devastate the environment.

In the beginning there were so few creatures, and they were so small, that they basically had very little effect on the environment at all.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #311
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
Your theory about aging makes no sense when it is well known that people live much longer now than they did only 100 years ago. Life spans are getting longer, not shorter.

And life spans among rural populations, which is what Adam and Eve's family would have been, are much lower than those of people in developed countries.
and you accuse me of not reading what you post? i posted the decline of the life span...also, with the development of medicines, the life span is getting longer. in the bible we are promised a certain amount of years if we are obedient to gods commandments.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #312
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
You never cease to amaze me with your nonsense.

One plant eating animal would have minimal effect on the surrounding environment. But an ever expanding population of plant eaters, with no predators to keep their population in check, would devastate the environment.

In the beginning there were so few creatures, and they were so small, that they basically had very little effect on the environment at all.
im glad you brought that up.....if we all evloved from the same thing, when and why did the dinosaurs "evolve" did evolution screw up and then realized that maybe they shouldnt have made something so big? whos to say how sparsly populated the earth was with animals? you nor anyone else was there
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #313
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
You never cease to amaze me with your nonsense.

One plant eating animal would have minimal effect on the surrounding environment. But an ever expanding population of plant eaters, with no predators to keep their population in check, would devastate the environment.

In the beginning there were so few creatures, and they were so small, that they basically had very little effect on the environment at all.
wait, now i get it....species just waited around for something to evolve so they could survive right? and your telling me these animals that came from soup somehow knew, without a creator, that if they didnt stop eating the plants it would devastate the environment? come on now.....i evolved from an ape and am smarter than that.......umm wait a sec
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #314
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP
 
eauclaire447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
You never cease to amaze me with your nonsense.

One plant eating animal would have minimal effect on the surrounding environment. But an ever expanding population of plant eaters, with no predators to keep their population in check, would devastate the environment.

In the beginning there were so few creatures, and they were so small, that they basically had very little effect on the environment at all.
and your also saying that these harmless herbivores developed into their own predators to spare the environment?
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #315
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,878
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
.....if we all evloved from the same thing, when and why did the dinosaurs "evolve" did evolution screw up and then realized that maybe they shouldnt have made something so big? whos to say how sparsly populated the earth was with animals? you nor anyone else was there

First of all in the beginning, if we started from a single cell, OF COURSE there was a very sparse population. After all we started at 1. Duh.

Quote:
if we all evloved from the same thing, when and why did the dinosaurs "evolve" did evolution screw up and then realized that maybe they shouldnt have made something so big?

They evolved that size to take advantage of the plentiful environment. When the comet hit all of a sudden the environment changed and they couldn't adapt. The advantage switched to smaller creatures.

And your long cut and paste posts are difficult to read in full while i am supposed to be working.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy