Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far
Default Karl: Nuggets playoff wins or purge

Quote:
George Karl says if you want to call the Nuggets a "playoff flop," he won't argue. If they flop again, there's no certainty he'll still be around.

The Nuggets coach won't go so far as to say it's win in the playoffs or bust this season. Still, he recently quipped that if the Nuggets, who have lost five straight first-round series (four under Karl) don't finally break though, he doesn't know if "any of us" will remain.

"If the edict is changing the face or changing the coach, we can live with that," Karl said about his job security entering Tuesday's start of training camp. "We all know that that happens. There are very few lifetime coaches in the NBA."

Karl heard rumors in the spring his job could be in jeopardy. While there might be pressure this season on Karl, who has two years and $6 million left on his contract, he said it's not coming from the front office.

"I feel that pressure (of job security) from the basketball world of rationalization," he said. "I don't feel that from my organization. Last year, when all that stuff came up, I never felt that.

"(Nuggets owner) Stan (Kroenke) was highly complimentary of our coaching. Amazed at times. He thought last year was a great year. Disappointing in losing in the playoffs, no question. But from the standpoint of what we were dealt and what we delivered, it was a big-time year."

Despite center Nene missing 2 1/2 months because of testicular cancer and other injuries, the Nuggets went 50-32, their best record in 20 years. But they were swept 4-0 in the first round by the Lakers, that coming on the heels of four straight 4-1 exits.

"If the evaluation is success in the playoffs, we haven't done that," Karl said. "And I can live with that. I agree 100 percent. I hate losing in the playoffs. I hate being on this losing streak."

Something else Karl hated was the loss in July of two of his favorite players. With the Nuggets well over the luxury tax and Kroenke seeking to cut costs, center Marcus Camby - and his $10 million salary - was dealt to the Clippers for the right to swap second-round picks in 2010, and the Nuggets made no effort to match the four-year, $13 million contract that forward Eduardo Najera got from New Jersey as a free agent.

"My disappointment and depression was in about a five-day period," Karl said. "We lose Eddie Najera and Marcus Camby and get nothing. I'm paranoid and scared. But you recover. The (Renaldo) Balkman trade . . . we give (New York) basically nothing (two players with nonguaranteed contracts who were waived). We get another guy, Chris Andersen, a pretty good basketball player, for nothing (the minimum salary as a free agent)."

Karl said Kroenke was honest in offseason discussions.

"I think he rolled the dice a little bit on the (Allen Iverson) situation," Karl said of the December 2006 trade for the high-salaried player. "He's a businessman. . . . He doesn't like losing money. . . . His (goal) is probably making money, and I respect that.

"We had a tough year from that standpoint and financially, I think he wants to change that. . . . He's been very honest on how he wanted to build in the summer, being financially limited."

Karl might have lost two key players, but you'd better believe there's still pressure to win. There's talk in the NBA that Karl is being set up as the scapegoat if that doesn't happen.

"I don't deny that's out there (in the NBA)," Karl said.

Still, Karl is "excited about our team," saying it is "faster and quicker."

Players seem committed to making up for the loss of Camby, who was the top defender on a team that sometimes offered little resistance.

"We've got to definitely pay attention to detail when it comes to the defensive end of the floor even more now," Iverson said.

"Guys have to step up," forward Kenyon Martin said.

If the Nuggets are indeed more focused, that could be half the battle. Their talent rarely has been questioned.

They have two All-Stars, Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, and two steady big men, Martin and Nene. J.R. Smith, who signed a three-year, $16.5 million deal in the only big offseason expenditure Kroenke allowed, is a rising star.

"We've been a team that's had enough talent to win a championship, but there's probably 12 of them in the league a year," Karl said. "It's the chemistry and the talent that wins championships. And we haven't done a very good job of figuring out the right chemistry."

There's time for that to happen. Karl said he recently had meetings with his coaching staff, and "we're juiced" and "ready to go."

Still, Karl, 57, admits it's not as easy getting revved up for seasons as it used to be. He has overcome a diagnosis of prostate cancer in 2005 and hip-replacement surgery in May, has a 4-year-old daughter and spends plenty of time keeping an eye on son Coby, who is entering his second season with the Lakers.

"I've said the window I thought of not coaching has grown," Karl said. "Every summer, you wish the summer was a month longer. You wish you had another month of freedom before you go back into the rat race."

Now that Karl is back at it, he'd like to prove the critics wrong. With Camby gone, preseason NBA predictions have been less than flattering for the Nuggets.

"I love people saying that, 'They're awful. They're going to be bad,' " Karl said. "I don't see us as bad. My belief is we have enough talent to be ultrasuccessful."

If there were an NBA dictionary, ultrasuccessful would mean advancing in the playoffs.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...wins-or-purge/
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Geandily
Local High School Star

Geandily has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Karl: Nuggets playoff wins or purge

Hopefully he's the only thing that gets purged
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

I really think this will be Karl's last year if they don't make it to the playoffs/get booted in the first round again. Part of me wants to see the nugs make the playoffs, but another part of me wants them to miss it just so we have a chance at getting a solid young PG at the draft and possibly a new coach for the 09-10 season. Rebuilding at it's finest. GET FLIP SAUNDERS HERE! He dealt with the bad boys of detroit, there's no question he could bring the best out in our "thugs".

Last edited by OneMoreSucka : 09-26-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

francesco totti has decent reputationfrancesco totti has decent reputation

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-win-60-games/

Some high confidence between players. Melo, K-mart think will win 60..
and nene is saying " “We’re going to quiet a lot of people’s mouths,”

I think our players are on drugs or sthg..there is no way we go 60..
not with this injury-prone squad... already Mr. Atkins is out six weeks

http://www.examiner.com/x-841-Denver...ns-out-6-weeks
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Five straight first round exits and they'll finally consider firing him. Absolutely amazing.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Geandily
Local High School Star

Geandily has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Five straight first round exits and they'll finally consider firing him. Absolutely amazing.

I know right?

"Hmm... we have 5 amazingly talented players but they just can't win in the playoffs, who's to blame here? Karl! What's your opinion on this matter?

Here, let me give you a backrub while you think about it.. ooh you seem stressed today George.. *moves hands lower and grasps George's buttocks* very stressed..."
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
RobboUK
I brick open layups

RobboUK has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs down Re: Karl: Nuggets playoff wins or purge

Well you cant exactly fault him for the past two seasons, i mean two great regular seasons and being knocked out in the playoffs by two future nba finals teams in spurs and lakers right?

But i do agree 5 seasons is too many
RobboUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

It's not necessarily the fact that they can't get past the first round, but rather the fact that they don't even make it a series. Win one, lose four straight, win one, lose four straight, or like last year - lose four straight.

I think me, along with loads of others, expected the nuggets to make a series out of the lakers, taking it to 6 or even 7 games. The problem is team chemistry and I think having AI there ruins it along with George's passive attitude toward winning.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: