Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Did Colangelo erase the Carter deal with his JO aquisition?

you all know this already, i'm sure.

buuut i haven't thought about it until right now, and in my arrogance i decided to tell you about it incase there are others who hadn't realized it either.

colangelo traded matt bonner, charlie v and a mid first round pick for jermaine o'neal...

thats incredible.

agree/disagree?
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Did Colangelo erase the Carter deal with his JO aquisition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
you all know this already, i'm sure.

buuut i haven't thought about it until right now, and in my arrogance i decided to tell you about it incase there are others who hadn't realized it either.

colangelo traded matt bonner, charlie v and a mid first round pick for jermaine o'neal...

thats incredible.

agree/disagree?

Walk us through it. I see what you're saying...but this could be fun to work backwards.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

matt bonner turned into rasho
charlie turned into tj
and our mid first rounder

fantastic asset management.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

But you are missing pieces. It wasn't Bonner for Rasho. It all started with the disaster VC deal.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

if thats the case then rob babcock traded for jermaine o neal so he should take all the credit
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

im just starting from the beginning of the colangelo era.

i don't even remember the VC deal entirely... 2 first rounders, zo, aaron williams and eric williams? i feel like im forgetting something.

zo turned into nothing
i forget what happened to that 2nd first rounder (the first one we drafted joey with)
aaron williams was traded for two second rounders i think... and eric williams went to the spurs with bonner for rasho.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

We traded the 2nd first rounder to the Knicks so they would take Jalen Rose's terrible contract off our hands in exchange for the expiring contract of Antonio Davis.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
We traded the 2nd first rounder to the Knicks so they would take Jalen Rose's terrible contract off our hands in exchange for the expiring contract of Antonio Davis.

And that move was the beginning of the resurrection of the Raptors, Orchestrated by Wayne Embry. This was the move that allowed Colangelo to come in with a little breathing room to start the transformation.

Thank you Wayne Embry.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

No matter which way you spin it, Colangelo took a pretty sad situation and turned it into something promising in a short amount of time. With only one mistake to show for it, in the form of a 7 foot Itallian lad.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

It's kinda crazy how much the Raptors have changed. Bosh is only player left to have played with VC. Everyone else is new.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm optimistic about this years team. However, all I know is that we damn sure better improve because trying to imagine a similar roster to what we have now without Bosh in 2010 would be terrible.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
No matter which way you spin it, Colangelo took a pretty sad situation and turned it into something promising in a short amount of time. With only one mistake to show for it, in the form of a 7 foot Itallian lad.

He will give that 7 footer till January...if it doesn't work out, I am sure BC will solve it.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
He will give that 7 footer till January...if it doesn't work out, I am sure BC will solve it.
For sure..Bargs still has value in the market..we could definitely get an impact player in return..
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain

I'd like to know what "spin" you’re talking about. Embry dumping 17 + millions dollars of Jalen's last year salary was significant in the quick turn around BC orchastrated.

And I would not say Bargnani was a mistake. After his first year just about everybody was singing his praise. Not suggesting people were saying he was worth the number one overall pick, but he showed a lot of promise. His sophomore year was ugly. No confidence, bad coaching, inconsistent usage, health issues.

This year, confidence is easy to find when you put on muscle. Look back to previous posts and I was saying this last fall. With confidence his shooting stroke returns and he's once again a threat from the outside.

Coaching, the Big Men camps from this past summer had to help him. A few post moves, and player like JO to help him along, He could well develop an inside game. Plus a defined roll, coming in off the bench to play the four a little more. The four / five positions are interchangeable between JO, Bosh and Bargnani, both on the offensive and defensive ends. Now Bargnani's flexibility as a player becomes a bigger asset to the team and a better use of his skills.

We didn't hear about Bargnani's breathing issues from last year until after the season ended. I take that to mean that we wasn’t looking for excuses, wasn’t blaming his poor performance on his health. Breathing does happen to be an important part of the game, and so does not constantly battling nasal infections.

According to Doug Smith, who has seen him this year says Andrea looked good. Doug is being careful not to hype him to much and raise our expectations.

Now, I want to hear what people have to say about what it is they expect from him this year? What will it take before we stop calling for him to be traded? All I read is that he's the only tradable asset we have and that goes from trading for an all-star to finding scrubs that might, with polish be studs.

I'm in Bargnani's corner. I like him and I think we need him. And I will come out and say he will be in the running for 6th man of the year, assuming he doesn’t start too many games because of injuries.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball

According to Doug Smith, who has seen him this year says Andrea looked good. Doug is being careful not to hype him to much and raise our expectations.

Now, I want to hear what people have to say about what it is they expect from him this year? What will it take before we stop calling for him to be traded? All I read is that he's the only tradable asset we have and that goes from trading for an all-star to finding scrubs that might, with polish be studs.

I'm in Bargnani's corner. I like him and I think we need him. And I will come out and say he will be in the running for 6th man of the year, assuming he doesn’t start too many games because of injuries.
We also hear every year about Joey Graham being willing to improve, we hear about him working hard on his game, playing in summer leagues, etc etc... but as he's proved in his years in the league, heresay means nothing. What it's gonna take is us witnessing visually an improvement on the court. It's what seperates the Andrew Bynum's from the Ike Diogu's.

I think that the Bynum situation is a perfect example. Most people in lakerland shared Kobe's sentiment a couple years back when he wanted to "ship his ass out" in exchange for a viable veteran piece that would help them win now. So Bynum went out and improved his game, worked with Kareem, got bigger and better, and although he got injured before he could complete a season he more than proved himself to his teammates, the fans, and the organization, and now they couldn't be happier.

But, just because he talked about improvements didn't mean that lakers fans automatically expected him to be the savior of the franchise. He had to go out there and prove it just like anyone else. If I witness the improvements that have been talked about then I for one would get off his back as i'm sure most other fans would and i'd be happy that he's finally proving his worth.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: